Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 25, 2020, 07:41:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarina Silencers - tips on practicing with a loud musical instrument  (Read 33543 times)
Cliff

« on: December 08, 2008, 10:58:52 am »

Are you ever hesitant to practice your ocarina because you don't want to disturb the people around you? This is a problem common with musical instruments.

They make noise!

Would you practice your ocarina more if you could completely (or almost completely) silence it... so that you could hear it but not anyone else?

Please watch the below video. It is around 30 minutes long.

Please note: our goal in making these videos is to help you to enjoy your ocarina and to grow as a musician. Unfortunately, the production quality is rather poor. Please feel free to post questions and to offer any feedback or suggestions that might increase the helpfulness of future videos. With your input, and as time and resources permit, we hope to get better and better.

Let us know what you think.

Thanks.

Cliff

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:13:59 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »

It was a funny moment for me. I was cutting a dozen onions for a great dish, and hearing the video at the same time. Despite the onions, I was laughing. OK, the whole subject could have been covered in, let's say, 2 minutes, but anyway, it was cool.

So, here's my new silencer attached.

Since I had no straw large enough, I glued two together, with the V cut, and it's my silencer, whisperer style. Perfect when the kids are sleeping. Thanks for a great trick!!!

Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:01:30 pm »

OK, the whole subject could have been covered in, let's say, 2 minutes

so perhaps it could be worthy to do also a shortest video? That would be targeted to those which lack of english skills and to those who lack of time (everybody?).

I understuood 99% of the first five videos. The new ones are harder to follow, I talk about my english un-skills, perhaps because Karl jokes or because I'm tired, whatever, anyhow it is difficult to follow a 30 minutes video in a language that is not yours and it's not that easy to follow a 30 minutes video ANYHOW unless you're very interested into the subject. So perhaps a side video "quick and dirt", or better "quick and clean" could be nice for fellows like me and MOST IMPORTANT for people stumbling across you (website or youtube) and wondering if "that ocarina stuff could perhaps be silenced?". That would provide a quick answer, with proof of concept.

I know it may sound strange I spent some time writing posts and perhaps summing it all I could get the 30 minutes for the videos. But that would be EXTRA time and then I'll need more for the forum. I hope you intended what I mean. Consider again that perhaps this is true only for people like me, that CANNOT listen a video like that without full dedication and attention. Any missing word can mess it all up. I can't cut onions and listen to Karl! But again, perhaps I'm only a black sheep  Cry

Cliff

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:21:52 pm »

perhaps I'm only a black sheep

Yes, perhaps, but a very beloved black sheep  Grin

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 02:57:55 am »

Yes, I agree that it's too long, and I even cut some parts out! Without more preparation, it's hard for me to narrow things down, but that will be my goal in future videos.

Perhaps, when we get some time, we'll release a condensed version of the video. 

Or we could break it into smaller, separate videos such as the following: "Why the entire world, including you, needs an ocarina silencer." Smiley "How to make an ocarina silencer."  "How to turn down the volume on your ocarina when necessary." "Relaxing multitasking." "Your mother was right when she told you to turn down your ipod." "Creating a soundproof space for practicing." Etc.

And I'll try to speak more Italian in future videos.  (I actually did try to use an Italian accent briefly in the vibrato video when recounting the Rice Krispies opera commercial.)

Karl

Cliff

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:35:42 pm »

Ocarina Silencers, Italian Version

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:54:05 pm »

Karl,
  excellent work! I am expecting a video in Vulcan soon. Live long and prosper my friends Smiley

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 08:55:02 pm »

Thanks, Dan.  But there are still more than a dozen Earth languages that I haven't mastered yet.  With my busy schedule, I'm just not ready to take on languages from outside our solar system. Smiley

Spatolo

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 09:45:06 pm »

I'm very happy to see that you found the time to have some fun and relax!

ARRIVADERCI!

Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 09:52:46 pm »

I love this forum, it's so fun Smiley

Spatolo

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »

I tried the straw silencer and it works great!
At first I misunderstood it at all and I tried to build something like this:
www.sordinella.it
that's a mute device for the recorder.

this straw system works very well: it does not changes too much the air pressure required so it don't make the "muted" training unrealistic; it keeps the notes fairly in tune with each other, and it remains steady in it's place.
Good!

My only concern is, is it possible that in the long run putting a straw inside and out the wind way can somehow damage the fipple, by scratching it, or somehow else?

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:47:43 pm »

When the straws are cut at an angle like that, they are very pliable. I think you could put a drinking straw silencer into your ocarina thousands of times and not affect the fipple edge. 

With that said, you raise a good point. Whatever we do with our ocarinas, we should not damage the windway or fipple edge.  In real life, I've never damaged either, despite my active outdoorsy lifestyle.  But now and then somebody mentions sticking a paper clip (or something like it) into their windway in an attempt to clean it. Those are the people who get a visit from the pirate. Wink 

RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:10:13 pm »

I was able to put the silencer to good use last night.  While my wife was rocking out baby daughter to sleep, I was practicing quite a few of the songs I know, and didn't disturb either one.

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Jessica
Active Newbie

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 12:56:52 am »

Thanks for this!  I've been able to practice a lot more, I didn't realize how often I wouldn't because I was worried about bothering others in the house.

Spatolo

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:48:56 am »

Urk! Nice avatar picture. Sorry for the off-topic. Lips sealed

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: