Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 07, 2020, 06:45:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gengyo's challenges  (Read 3163 times)
Gengyo
Active Newbie

« on: February 26, 2012, 03:59:28 am »

My first and biggest challenge is that due to a number of factors I have very low manual dexterity and it takes a great deal of effort get my fingers to memorize the location of the holes and the finger combinations. My ears however are very sharp and because I am a singer I have good breath control. I quickly found the proper breath "pressure" and was able to try vibrato in various songs. My little clay ocarina from stlocarina.com recently had a falling out (of my backpack at college... roommate borrowed a pencil and forgot to zip the pocket up and my little friend fell out on concrete. T_T) So I ordered a polycarbonate C just a few moments ago to take my 6-holes place as my travel companion. Smiley

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world.
                                                                                                          ---Martin Luther
4efs

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:11:09 am »

Well,when you get your C you'll be so happy as it will not be breaking! Yay!

I'm thinking because you're a busy college student you'll especially enjoy the mobility and ease of use factor of the polycarbonate.  Having it with you to practice fearlessly anytime will really help with dexterity too, I'm betting.
Welcome to the wonderful world of MOs!

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:24:29 pm »

If manual dexterity is a challenge it might be a good idea to work with tone more than tune. The MO can be very expressive even with simple tunes.

Gengyo
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:57 pm »

I love music and I have all my life. I love to sing and for the last few years have taken part in the praise teams at my church. To me, singing is about emotion and when I sing, I utilize the emotional side of myself. It is not unusual for people to cry, laugh, dance, etc in response. That's part of why I love to play my ocarina. The breath control is very familiar because I sing, and the sound of the ocarina is very emotionally expressive for joy and sadness. I play at my college's art wing, as it has amazing acoustics and I, quite often, gather an audience. I've had about 50 people at once standing or sitting just opposite the hall from where I play. On a few of those occasions I've had some of the girls approach me afterwards and ask if I was sad,  and I gather it was due to the expressive manner in which I play. I put my heart into the songs.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world.
                                                                                                          ---Martin Luther
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: