Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 30, 2020, 08:15:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarina Fingering Dexterity Exercises  (Read 32857 times)
Spatolo

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 08:45:40 am »

I realized that I can do that exercise in any case without putting the ocarina in my mouth, thus discretely if I'm on a bus and the like. The discovery of the hot water  Undecided; just keep the ocarina in both hands... the right will keep it steady and the left can do the trick. And vice-versa.

Also I'm noticing that I can just put the ocarina on a table and with one hand "play" finger tricks on it.
So I'm going to ask: can that be effective too, for finger dexterity, although your hand (and so, your fingers) are not in a position that they usually have when they really play the ocarina?

Thanks!

Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 07:40:09 pm »

I would say, even if it maybe won't allow you to play the same trick with the right position afterwards, it can only shorten the path, isn't it? And it can't be bad for the general dexterity / speed / independance of the fingers!

Spatolo

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 08:51:33 pm »

I would say, even if it maybe won't allow you to play the same trick with the right position afterwards, it can only shorten the path, isn't it? And it can't be bad for the general dexterity / speed / independance of the fingers!

Yes Laurent you're probably right. I did exercises like that today at almost every free moment (you all know that I'm a maniac) and I feel that I already improved a tiny bit.

This is a GREAT suggestion!

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

Spatolo, your exercise sounds good.  Start with very simple exercises. Little by little you will have the balance and dexterity to do more complex ones.

Spatolo

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 08:45:12 am »

They darn WORK! My forearm hurts!!!!

Spatolo

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 08:47:11 pm »

OK, I got a gripmaster. I hope the medium strenght one is OK although I find it quite easy with the index and medium fingers.
I see you have the black one. Darn I probably picken up the wrong one considering that I'm a bit strong already because of the climbing training.

Now the question is: how that is going to improve my dexterity? OK for the strenght, that's pretty easy to understand. But what about the coordination? Or the speed? Isn't there the risk that fingers may become too bulky while stronger, thus slower rather than agile?

Just some question out of the mind. Since in the video you invite to discuss about it... here I am. I'd love to know your answers!

Ciao

shan

экии!

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 08:54:11 pm »

But what about the coordination? Or the speed? Isn't there the risk that fingers may become too bulky while stronger, thus slower rather than agile?
The thing with the gripmaster (or similar products) is that you are able to exercise each finger individually.  In fact, you should try this; it may help illustrate what I'm talking about.  Flexing just the pinky finger on the gripmaster is difficult, isn't it?  Why?  Because you never use the pinky by itself.  Forcing it to work individually and with an increased load (i.e., the force necessary to compress the gripmaster) effectively "releases" the pinky from its role as a mere auxiliary digit.  Sure- you can move it by itself now, but you'll be able to move it with even more precision after training.  And as for "bulking up" the fingers: no, that won't happen.  The muscles for your fingers are located in your arm.

Spatolo

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 09:17:11 pm »

Shan, thank you so much for your contribution!!! First: do you use that device too?

Sure- you can move it by itself now, but you'll be able to move it with even more precision after training.

This is the only sentence I still feel hard to understand intuitively. I explain: I can't understand how improving strenght can also improve precision.
I can easily see how fingering exercises on the ocarina can help (for example to move two, or three fingers as toegether as possible) but I still can't see how a more powerful pinky can also be a more precise pinky. Time will show; I'll practice daily.

So here I ask: should I practice until I have strenght? When pinky and ring fingers are KO should I continue with the stronger fingers?
Should I also train thumbs?

Thank you so much!

OH, and another question: so you in the US usually drive cars with automatic gear shift? Here it is impossible to use the gripmaster while driving, if not at a stop.

shan

экии!

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 09:29:20 pm »

I can't understand how improving strenght can also improve precision.
What the gripmaster does is help develop independence of movement (along with strength, or as a by-product of strength); this independence of movement is what gets you more dexterity.  Sorry, I could've and should've said it more succinctly. 

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 09:31:17 pm »

Spatolo,

I think that the gripmaster can help your pinkies to become more coordinated and more... useful.

By the way, I drive manual (stick shift) cars too.  To me they are more fun, and they get a little better gas mileage.  I do the gripmaster more on the open road and less in stop and go traffic.

Spatolo

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 09:45:41 pm »

I can't understand how improving strenght can also improve precision.
What the gripmaster does is help develop independence of movement (along with strength, or as a by-product of strength); this independence of movement is what gets you more dexterity.  Sorry, I could've and should've said it more succinctly. 

Gotcha. Thanks!

That's what I also do on the ocarina indeed.
Here's what I do: finger a C. Then go up the scale one finger a time up to the G (no right fingers down), then do a E then a C (so coordinate fingers to move two a time as precisely as possible to avoid sloppy fingerings that hurts when playing legato) then a F# then a Eb.

I couple those passages two by two or I made them in a longer sequence. I try to do it all in a steady rhythm. After two days I can already see improvements.

Anyhow this gripstuff will be fun to play with too :-)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: