Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 09:31:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New song at church.  (Read 9827 times)
Harp Player

« on: April 02, 2012, 06:13:11 am »

As some of you may know I play my harmonicas as a regular part of the music group at my church.    We play mostly praise and worship type of songs with a few oldies thrown in.   Well Saturday night they pulled out a very hard nosed driving rock type of song called "Faith".  I had never tired to play that type of music before, and had never heard the song, but I quickly found a part to play on my harmonica, and they played it this morning.   Lots of fun.  I can't wait till I can do that sort of thing on my Ocarinas.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:19 pm »

That sounds like fun, Harp Player. I'm looking forward to that too. Though I am in a group that sings and plays Worship songs at the Newport Beach Pier (So. Calif.) My friends pushed me into playing, Come Thou Fount on my Ocarina, along with the group- I was SO NERVOUS!!!!!
I made a couple of mistakes but not too bad for my first try. I would never have done it of they hadn't pushed me, I usually do vocals. LOL

Pamela

Martin Grim
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:46 pm »

I commend your bravery Treble! I'm still too nervous to play in front of family, let alone out in public.

Harp Player

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41:11 am »

I agree playing in public for the first time is a very big step.  I have played my MO at church a few times on some Christmas songs and it was very nerve wracking even though I have been playing my harmonica there for over 10 years.

cerescop

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:08:13 pm »

Way to go Pamela, that peer pressure is rough isn't it. But kudos on the joining in. Yes playing in front of people is hard. But, it gets easier. I have done that and cannot bring myself to record a note. Every time I look at the mic I get the jitters and freeze up miss notes I can play in my sleep. Its a phobia. For me its just a phobia I cannot breech.

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 03:44:50 am »

I can understand that I don't like making recordings either.  I think I have maybe 3 of me playing the harmonica.  They are many years old and poor quality.   I want to change that and I have been looking at a multi track recorder (would love to make a good recording of the band at church) but it is out of my budget for now.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »

Wow, thanks guys. I thought I was really over reacting, I almost shut down from nerves, draw a blank, and never play as well as I do when I'm alone. However, I am determined to improve in this area- I hate being crippled in this way.

I have a friend who is a professional flautist and she says to focus, close your eyes if you have to and try to stay in the creative right brain side- in other words, don't think (especially technical thoughts- "what note do I hit next"?) just feel. I haven't successfully done this yet, but I'm trying LOL  Roll Eyes

Pamela

Harp Player

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:59:28 am »

Your friend is right.  When you get to the point to where you just play and make great music without doing much thinking about it you are a true musician.  I am there on my harmonicas, but a long way from that point on the Ocarina.    I hope to get to that point one day.  And once my left thumb heals up I will get back to playing  some.  (I have a nasty cut/rip that I got at work the other day)

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 04:42:09 am »

Bummer, I'll pray for your thumb.

bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:07:34 am »

I have a friend who is a professional flautist and she says to focus, close your eyes if you have to and try to stay in the creative right brain side-

I played my whistle in church this weekend, sort of first time in public, and I did just that: closed my eyes. It works, helps me focus and stop caring about the people around. I played while people were coming back to get seated after an intermission, the choir (I was mostly there to sing) moving in behind me so there was a lot of distraction, but closing my eyes it was possuble to stay focused. Best thing: a realy good pianist was accompning me, and I felt we were really communicating even though I wasn't looking at him until the final notes. I was nervous, but it was a great experience.

Harp Player

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 05:32:57 am »

Good job on playing at church.  It is a scary thing to do that the first time.   It was scary for me to play the Ocarina at church the first time even though I had been playing the harmonica every Sunday for 10 years.  And yes it does help to close your eyes I do that often while I play.  It helps me to focus on the music instead of on the people.  Also the music does seem to flow better when I do that.

cerescop

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »

I close my eyes all the time. It shocked me to see a woman was walking by and stopped to listen while I was playing Silent Night in a dock one day, well it was about 0600 am. She said, " That was beautiful, thank you". She was smiling real big and stayed that way as she walked away.  Close your eyes you may see wonderful things when you open them.

Scott Maness

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 04:16:20 am »

Playing at church is wonderful.  Always remember though,  the people in the congregation are not the audience.  The audience is the Lord and  He said, "make a joyful noise unto the Lord".  The only one that you need to please is Him.   :-)

Harp Player

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 04:49:33 am »

Playing at church is wonderful.  Always remember though,  the people in the congregation are not the audience.  The audience is the Lord and  He said, "make a joyful noise unto the Lord".  The only one that you need to please is Him.   :-)

Very well said.   And that is my goal every time I play.  That is one reason I seldom play anything that I wouldn't play at church.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »

Very well said.   And that is my goal every time I play.  That is one reason I seldom play anything that I wouldn't play at church.

You are both so right. We play (and sing) for the Audience of ONE! What a blessing!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: