Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 29, 2020, 08:45:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: THE MAD OCARINIST STRIKES AGAIN...  (Read 9685 times)
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »

JUST IMAGINE...
You are in an underground parking lot at a major Mall, you slink out of your car and take cover behind the nearest support pillar, raising your Mountain Ocarina to your lips you let go with your favorite song. The acoustics are fabulous!!! People are looking around wondering where it's coming from- in fact they are trying to figure out what it is.  You can play in clandestine delight and even if you should make a mistake  Cry no one will know it's you  Wink.

This is great for the Newbie, like myself, who is scared or even terrified to play for people LOL  Roll Eyes. Actually, I play in underground parking structures any time I get the chance- it just sounds so cool!

Prairie Wolf

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:52:14 pm »

Absolutely love your description of this "event" and can picture it in my mind's eye and ear very well. How delightful that would be and fun, too! It is always exciting discovering a new place to play your ocarina, especially if it is a place with great acoustics and some anonymity.  Cheesy Wink

"The spirit of the Earth in the notes of the flute
the song speaks for my soul, when my voice is mute." -- kap
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:16 pm »

Thanks Prairie Wolf, actually I just got back from South Coast Plaza Mall (I live in Southern CA), that parking lot is a great place to play. Also, long, pedestrian tunnels are fabulous, when they are empty!  Wink

bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:03 am »

LOL! I can just see yout there, tiptoeing into cover, with a mask over your face  Grin

HawkeyeMcFly

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:33 am »

LOL! I can just see yout there, tiptoeing into cover, with a mask over your face  Grin

..not to forget the run from cover to cover, ocarinas holstered ready for the action, glancing around corners for unsuspicious victims... Grin GREAT!!!  Beware of the MOnja  Grin

### Always remember the wise words of One-Arm McGinty: Never ever throw water balloons at people carrying chainsaws ###
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:00:54 pm »

LOL- camouflage paint might be useful. A nice mottled design to blend with the shadows.  Wink

Nephiel

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »

I wholeheartedly agree - parking lots are among my favourite places to play because of the amazing reverb.

HawkeyeMcFly

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 04:42:08 am »

Just out of curiousity: what do you prefer to play in those parking lots?
From my experience I play slow pieces now because the reverb sounded terrible with fast pieces.
I play eg Greensleeves in slow (sounds really melancholic this way) or Halleluja from Cohen.

### Always remember the wise words of One-Arm McGinty: Never ever throw water balloons at people carrying chainsaws ###
Harp Player

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:43:15 am »

I played one of my harmonicas in a handball court one time, awesome reverb.  Not may parking garages in my small town so I don't guess I will get a chance to try that anytime soon.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:02:53 pm »

The last time I played "All the Pretty Little Horses." "When Jesus Wept" also sounds awesome. And ever since I heard DocJazz play "Be Thou My Vision", I've been playing that too. One day I hope to sound as good as he does!

Harp Player

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 03:52:17 am »

I do love to play Be thou my vision on my harmonica.   I need to figure it out on the MO sometime, it is a very nice song and would no doubt be perfect with the MO because of it's Celtic orgins.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 04:38:38 am »

I do love to play Be thou my vision on my harmonica.   I need to figure it out on the MO sometime, it is a very nice song and would no doubt be perfect with the MO because of it's Celtic orgins.

Here is DocJazz's version.
http://youtu.be/srW8RpvVuuk

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 04:45:01 am »

Sorry HarpPlayer, that was the wrong link  Roll Eyes - can't seem to find one. If you go to Youtube and type in docjazz Be Thou my Vision and it comes up.

Harp Player

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 04:54:09 am »

Thanks for taking the effort to try and find it.   I saw his version several weeks ago. His version is definitely worth sharing with others.

I think I may have the music to it somewhere maybe a hymn book.   I know I have the harmonica tab to it so if nothing else I can work backwards from the tab.

Omega Zero
Active Newbie

It's showtime.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 01:20:26 am »

Sounds like a great plan. I'm really shy in public, but I eventually want to play for more than just my siblings and I. As for disguises, go with either a Link (for guys) or Zelda (for girls). that way, if you are found, people are more likely to know what you are playing. If you don't know or don't want to disguise as Link or Zelda, then I recommend a ninja outfit. Ninjas are always cool, especially when they play ocarinas.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake..."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: