Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 10, 2020, 07:33:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for Beginner: C or G?  (Read 5273 times)
Kenkyo B.
Active Newbie

« on: May 13, 2012, 07:27:53 pm »

I actually found this site through a long chain of events that involved hearing an amazing instrument (which I still don't know the name of) in a church-orchestra rendition of My Father's World, poring through Wikipedia lists of all the woodwind instruments involved in an orchestra hoping to find out what that mystery instrument was called, then somehow stumbling across ocarinas and this site. I am going on a mission trip to the island of New Guinea late this summer, and as one of the main focuses will be on music, I thought that this would be a great instrument to take along (Kudos for the durability of your products, MO. They really go everywhere, don't they?) I wanted to ask all you oc-owners for your advice on which one would be the best first purchase for my situation. To ensure that you're not flying blind, as it were, here is some pertinent information:
*At this time, I can only purchase one oc, so it has to be one or the other.
*The size difference between the C and the G isn't very important to me.
*I honestly like the mellower sound of the C better than G, but am a little put off by the comments that it's harder to learn initially, (ex., breath control, etc.)
*Taking into account when I'll be able to get it and the date of my mission trip, I'll have about a month to a month-and-a-half to practice it.
*I live in a largely rural area, so there isn't any danger of disturbing anyone with the loud noise.
*I'll have about 2-3 full hours a day to practice, maybe more.

I really appreciate the help guys, thank you in advance!

Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »

What it comes down to is do you want a Ocarina in a higher key or a lower key?   I prefer the sound of the lower key myself.   Yes it did take a little while for me to make the lowest notes sound right on the C but it also takes a while to make the highest notes on the G sound right so it is a push on the time as far as I am concerned.   The advantage that the C has over the G is that it will be better for playing with other instruments.   

Just a few things for you to think about but when it comes down to it you have to make the call.

angiessa

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:17:59 pm »

I agree with Harp Player on this. It all comes down to your personal preference. The C doesn't have SUCH a different learning curve than the G, and ultimately, if you're not happy with the sound you're not going to want to play it anyway. I have both, and I almost never pick up the G anymore. To me, it's just too shrill, especially considering that my practice space is somewhat small and enclosed, so I have to wear earplugs in order to play it. The C has a much more pleasing sound to me, so it's the one I reach for the most. If I had to do it over again, I don't think I'd have purchased the two together - just the C. The extra effort to get the low notes sounding nice is worth it to me.

Some people definitely love their G MOs, though. Again, it's totally up to your personal preference. Smiley

---
Read more about my adventures in music at the Wandering Zebra.
HawkeyeMcFly

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:49:45 am »

I have ordered the combo, too.
The learning curve for the C was a bit longer, only a bit. It is more sensitive than the G but the reward is great.
I did the 5-minutes-a-day-sessions and it took me less than 4 days to perform good songs on it. (The G took 2 days, I trained both alternating). I did a beginner-to-beginner video for the C to encourage other starters, maybe it helps you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9x1CcxjZfQ

Personally I prefer the C over the G because I like more soft, mellow, slow, moody music. It totally depends on your liking.
I might be wrong, but as I remember church songs are mostly aligned to the human voice so you can easily sing to it, therefore I would go for the C.

PS.: why don't you ask someone from the orchestra about the strange instrument? I'm sure they will be happy to assist you with the ocarina aswell. (maybe some want to purchase one, too?) Maybe your Pastor/Reverend supports you with the purchase. (There is a report at the main page of MO about a project where they go to children and give them ocarinas, it is called: "I would hear them later “showing off” their ability to their friends…")
You go there for a musical journey? What instruments do you play? Or do you sing?

### Always remember the wise words of One-Arm McGinty: Never ever throw water balloons at people carrying chainsaws ###
Kenkyo B.
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »

Harp Player and Angiessa: Thank you so much for helping solidify my desire for the C and assuring me that the learning curve isn't much longer. I've pretty much made up my mind now, and hope to soon be the proud owner of a Poly C Oc. Thank you again; you both helped tremendously.

HawkeyeMcFly: Thanks for sharing the link to your Youtube video; I'm sure it will be really helpful. And I also prefer the mellower sound the C makes. I'm sure the G is great, but it just sounds SO high-pitched to me. Lol, and the reason I can't ask anyone from the orchestra about the instrument is that I was only at the church for one morning while I was visiting my Grandma for a short time. It had a woody sound slightly reminiscent of panpipes, which led to my search in the woodwind category. I might play the ocarina in my own church, which is very small (My grandma's church is HUGE, which is why they have an orchestra), but I tend to be nervous about being in front of other people, so likely not until I feel that I'm really good. (And even then, the dive-bombing butterflies in my stomach never cease Tongue) I'm not sure if you would call the mission trip a "musical journey", but one of the main things we will be doing is singing and playing instruments with the body of believers located there. I am a novice (as in: look at fingering, play chord, look at and change fingering, play chord) at guitar, but several of the others going with me are really good at it, and so I most likely won't be called upon to do anything in that area. I do sing, and hopefully I'll alternate between that and my amazingly portable ocarina. Hope that answered your questions, and thanks so much for the advice!

Thanks again, and God bless.

draynham
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:33:13 am »

Hi, I also own both poly g/c. 

I originally bought only the G a few years back, but when I came back to playing MO again this year (and working through the MO curriculum book), I decided to buy the C as well and see how it compared.

I have been working though each unit, practicing with both poly G and poly C. 

I have often found that I prefer the ocarina that I happen to be playing at the time!  But overall, I do prefer the mellower, more soothing sound of the C.  It is so fantastic that the fingering is (basically) exactly the same, so there isn't much trouble going back and forth between the two ocarinas.

As far as difficulty, I would say they are comparable.  With the highs on the G, you really have to let loose a good blast of air to hit it right.  You can't be shy about it! 

Contrast to this to the low notes on the C, which are a little harder for me.  You need to use much less flow, more control.  Overblowing is easy to do.  This ocarina has a deep, rich sound to it that I really like.

Bottom line is that I would say they are equally easy (or difficult) to play, just in slightly different ways.  If you like the sound of the C, I vote you go that way, too.

For good sound, my best advice to you once you get the ocarina is to get in the habit of sucking in (clearing the airway, as described in the instructions) before each song -- or periodically at least.  It only takes a microsecond and really helps.  I find that when my notes start to sound raspy or weird, it's inevitably either 1. condensation or spit in the airway or 2. that one of my fingers isn't quite closed over a hole.  No doubt there are whole threads about this on the forum here. 

Good luck!

Dave

Harp Player

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:00:00 am »

Kenkyo, I do hope that you take advantage of having other musicians around you and play a few simple songs with them  "As the Dear" in the Key of D is easy and fits well on the MO, also "Amazing Grace" in the key of F are 2 good songs too start playing with others on.

I would suggest that you invest in a a good Hymnal or 2 as well.  It's amazing how many songs are in an easy key for the Ocarina in those books.  Some of my favorites are Celebration Hymnal from Pathway ( Church of God book store), which has a good mix of old an new songs in it.  I also like "The Worship Hymnal"  Which is available from Lifeway book stores (Baptist), it also has a good mix of old and new songs.  I am thinking I got them for less than $20 each.  You might could talk to one of the elders in your church and see if they have any 'well worn" hymn books that they are no longer using and would be willing to let you have.

Just a couple of suggestions from someone who has been playing a harmonica at church for several years now.

cerescop

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 02:42:45 am »

I have read over most of whats been written here. All good info. One thing I have noted is that there are just more hymns written in C.  Or were converted to C. I am not biased as I have  a C ocarina, like the tone.  But it all goes back to personal choice. Have fun. If you need help with the ocarina get the self learning course as well. Good tool that...

Traeak

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:50:09 am »

the average vocal range usually is closer to 'c' than to 'g' which makes the 'c' more practical for vocals.

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
JaminStone
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 10:30:09 am »

i really like the sound of the C but appearently i found out how to play the G much better than the C. I had no problems playing the high notes on the G, except with my ears because i wasn`t aware of how loud and high this little thing could possibly get  (and i think i probably haven`t even met the limit).
But the playing the C i always have the feeling that the sound of the lower notes is a little windy... its really rare that i don`t have hat feeling. But when i "mastered" a new little melody like scarborough fair and i wan`t to play it in front of my girl friend(yesterday) i always take the C because her ears are pretty sensetive.
thats all this noob can tell ya about his experiences.

Croup and Vandemar, the Old Firm, obstacles obliterated, nuisances eradicated, bothersome limbs removed and tutelary dentistry undertaken.
cerescop

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:02:37 am »

When I do Scarborough Fair I usually start on D. Then play two verses. Then start the next verse on E. It will throw in a sharp I think. Then the last verse start back on D. I mixes things up a b it sounds good too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: