Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 29, 2020, 09:06:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Five Minutes  (Read 9869 times)
Ann Seeton
Active Newbie

« on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:02 pm »

I was able to give myself 3 tick marks today, my first day of doing five minutes practice when I can. I work at my computer so I have my ocarina right here on my desk, handy.  I work at home so I don't have to worry about anything but waking the baby when I practice.

My 2 1/2 yr old loves being permitted to hold and blow on one ocarina while I practice the other and whenever I pause, she asks, "make dat noise 'gain!" and she watches my fingers.  I'm practicing just going up and down the scale and making the tone nice and breathing properly.  She watches and then blows on hers.  She listens to herself so rather than treating it merely as a whistle, she is starting to moderate her blowing to get a nicer tone. 

Notes, the G ocarina is not too big for small hands but attention span is still too short for instruction (no surprise there); I am delighted that she has so much interest in watching my hands and playing with the ocarina holes.  I'm curious to see how long it takes before she begins to cover the holes on top with her fingers. The bottom holes are covered with the little sticky hold covers that came with the ocarina.

I hope to go do another couple of ticks while watching the small one in the tub.

Cool

Watched the Dog Wisperer and practiced scales and the opening notes for Row Row Row Your Boat, and before I knew it,  I had practiced 15 minutes--three more tic marks!!

I never realized how non-threatening five minutes of twiddling is compared to the same amount of time "practicing" at one time.

And I was surprised this evening that I was sounding a little better.  I also figured out that my right hand tends to shift a bit and I lose my solid contact with the thumb and first fingers over their holes.  I can pay attention and correct it because I noticed it thanks to fiving instead of one marathon session where my ability to learn is fatigued and I miss such obvious little things.

I like the self guided book and CD set too.  I'm only just beginning it, but already I'm seeing the value it has for a total novice like myself.

It is bedtime and I am not having an easy time getting the little one to put up the ocarina.  Right now she isn't playing it, she is just holding it and unwilling to let it go.  I think that if I can be patient enough she may learn to play simply because she wants it to be hers all the time and not just shared with mommy.  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:11:22 am by Ann Seeton » Logged
Magdalenazdreem
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:56:48 am »

ARGH!  I can't find my ocarina and you've inspired me to really do it instead of just feeling like a failure because I didn't try enough.  5 minutes is so NOT a big deal.  I can do this!
Thanks, Anna.

Ann Seeton
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:54:09 pm »

I bet it will turn up as you work to pack for your move.  Just save it a spot in the trunk that is filled with your favorite things that must be unloaded ASAP when you move. 

I have to brag, I just finished Unit 1 and put in 6 tics on my card today!! 3 days in a row and it feels easy.

Oh, I am using an appointment card.  It has a line at the top for the name of the month, and a little numbered line for each day of the month (through 31 as it is a generic card) and the name of my chiropractor at the bottom since I picked up two when I got my last appointment set up.   Cool

I'm forcing myself to stop though when my fingers begin to tire and while I am still feeling successful.  I think it would be a bad thing to push until errors crept in and fatigue prevented their correction.

The difficult portion is finding a time without interruptions to do the lessons.  Then I use the exercises for practice sessions.  I'm staying at unit 1 until I have the songs well memorized and comfortable anywhere.  I'm building foundations!

My biggest problem is learning to connect the sound I am playing on the ocarina with the dot on the page and adding the name of the dot. If I can connect the dot on the paper with the sound and the fingering for that sound that would be success even if I still had problems recalling the name of the notes, but sometimes people just say the name and I want to hear the sound when the name is said too.  This part is problematic.  Undecided

Ann Seeton
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »

I was hoping that this forum would be a bit more active.  Is there somewhere else that Ocarina playing persons congregate online?

I managed 4 tics on my card today.  Also, my C ocarinas arrived today and so I practiced a bit on both G and C ocarinas.  I think the G is easier for me because I have smallish hands and less lung capacity.  I'm sure I will improve but I can see that while I very much like the sound of the C ocarina that I am likely to prefer the cute little G as my favorite.

And my Little Tiger has misplaced the second G ocarina.  Don't know where it is right now, but I suspect if I help pick up the playroom it will show up.

NO way can a 2 1/2 yr old finger a C.  So that is good to know. If I want to make my sister nuts, I will give her daughter a nice G ocarina and a how to play book and CD package, along with the book of hymns.   Cool   I'm not the cool aunt, that is our other sister, nope, I am the trouble maker!

Maybe if I keep posting then some life will show up here?

Ann Seeton

Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:05:47 am »

It looks like you are doing well in your practice. 

Sometimes the forum is more active than other times.  I don't know about another Ocarina forum, but then I don't have time to hang out on forums much now.

BlueJack
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:30:45 am »

Waiting in line at the Costco gas pump. Long line. The "G" is around neck. 10 minutes of practice in a quite air conditioned car.  Grin

VTtrish
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:54:38 am »

I have been doing 5 minutes a day (usually more) for a while now even though I only recently joined the 5mmc. I didnt know there were cards or even a kit. Can I download the card somewhere? There ist as much activity here as Id hoped

Traeak

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 11:21:13 pm »

the ocarina network is much busier but has a very different crowd.  generally way too much drama for my taste but sometimes some good information.

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
Harp Player

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:36:56 pm »

You can print the cards yourself her is a link to the message that has links to the card files:

http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=1565.0

You will need the PDf reader, but most people have that already.

Good luck and enjoy journey.

P.S.  I don't know why that message is not a sticky.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:39:33 pm by Harp Player » Logged
Pat Anderson

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 07:00:07 pm »

I really enjoy TON, and because it has dozens or hundreds of posts every day, it is easy to find something interesting.  Although there are two things that bug me. One, they all seem to have a distain for inline ocarinas. I defend inline ocarinas and particularly my MO whenever this comes up, although I must say, I am now playing my TNG and Night by Noble 12 hole transverse ocarinas more than my MO because of the ease of the low A and the high F. This will change when the Pro Range comes out!  Two, although there are 25,000 registered members, there is a fairly tight clique that does most of the posting and kind of sets the agenda. Other people may start an thread that looks interesting to me but get no replies.  But all in all, I check TON multiple times per day and this forum maybe a couple of times a week...

the ocarina network is much busier but has a very different crowd.  generally way too much drama for my taste but sometimes some good information.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: