Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
December 01, 2020, 09:10:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording the ocarina using an external mic  (Read 22624 times)
Cliff

« on: December 09, 2008, 09:03:33 pm »

Recording the ocarina using external microphones

Please note: our goal in making these videos is to help you to enjoy your ocarina and to grow as a musician. Unfortunately, the production quality is rather poor. Please feel free to post questions and to offer any feedback or suggestions that might increase the helpfulness of future videos. With your input, and as time and resources permit, we hope to get better and better.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:41:50 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:51:14 am »

Thanks, that was very helpful.  I've been struggling with the whole microphone issue, especially with distortion in the high notes.  At least now I have some idea what to look for in a microphone.

ubi

kissing
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:25:55 pm »

"Could you people quiet down up there? I'm tryin' to record... Could you like, not move for the next few hours?"
Oh dear, I know exactly how that feels  Grin

I'm gonna have to experiment putting the mic by my ear when recording Smiley
Thanks for the tips!

swedcrow
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:20:17 am »

i have a question in this matter, sometimes when i record with my ocarina( a enigma tenor) i get a kind of, to loud not wery ocarina sounding noise, it only happens on two of the middle tunes but never else...whats up with that? if someone knows what im talking about please reply Cheesy

i loved that" be quiet up there, and take turns breathing" lol awsome tips

armisis

www.youtube.com/armisis

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 01:54:51 pm »

Sounds like an airpressure issue if you have a digital tuner I use those to work on those odd sounds to try to get it just right.

Down with the Evil Recorders! Up with the Angelic Ocarina!

David D. Stanton
www.youtube.com/armisis
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:16 pm »

I'm not sure, but you might be hitting a resonant frequency.  If you're recording in a particular room and you find that certain notes are louder, and even distorted, it may be that those notes are resonating with the room itself, causing contructive interference, which is what you're hearing.  If this is what's happening, then you shouldn't hear it if you switch to a different room.  It's also possible that the microphone itself has a resonant frequency that you're triggering.  A lot of computer mics (most of them) are optimized for speech and don't perform well when you try to record music, especially higher pitched sounds.

ubizmo

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 08:17:31 pm »

Swedcrow, here is something to consider in addition to the other good posts. I'm not sure if this applies in your case, but it might.

I've read a lot about recording flutes, recorders, etc., and this phenomenon I'm going to describe is also true of ocarinas. Toneholes can be very directional. In other words, one tonehole may project sound in a different direction than another tonehole.

As you might guess, the closer you are to the mic, the more exaggerated this tendency is. In a big room, with the mic far off, you wouldn't notice this. But as you move closer to the mic, sound waves will often radiate toward the microphone more forcefully from some toneholes than from others. I refer to these as hot notes.  Interestingly, if you move the mic (or yourself in relation to the mic), other notes may become hot instead of the original ones. 

Here is what I suggest, and this is true for any instrument.   Experiment with different mic locations.  For instance, directly behind you or right by one ear are places that we often don't think about trying. In general, if you have hot notes, try to avoid pointing the voicing (i.e., the fipple window) or any problem toneholes at the mic.

If you get a chance to try any of our suggestions, we'd be interested to hear if they were helpful.  Best of luck!

Psoewish
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:29:41 am »

Thanks for the nice tips here, I'll need to buy a decent mic sometime. But first I need an ocarina in C (and a job Roll Eyes)

Also, in my video I think the sound came out rather well. I experimented a bit with various setups as well, and in my video I have the mic in front of me on my desk (so it's below my ocarina). Even though it's just the mic from a cheap headset, the sound quality isn't that bad Smiley

onewhohopes

Kayaking!

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 12:48:24 am »

lol, I enjoyed that little comment about "most" of us not living in padded cells at around the 9 minute mark.  Grin

-Tom

Vivu Esperanto!
AzKiteMan

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 12:25:51 pm »

Where can i buy a good music mic? One that doesn't reveal any breathing, keeps those sharp sounds from piercing your ears, and one that doesn't muffle speech.

Ich genieße Versuch, sprechenden verschiedenen Sprachen nachzuahmen! =D
MedicineMan

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 04:21:57 am »

I had a netbook sitting around collecting dust.....bought the MXL Studio 1 mic and have been pleased/surprised at it...for an economical mic it does a good job for ME...if you study mic's for just a bit you'll see you can spend $100 or $1000 (or more)...for my hobbyist approach to music the USB mic was perfect for assembling a mobile platform, mostly due to the lightweight netbook. Audacity was a freebie download for the software end.....there is a learning curve and some experimentation for body/MO positioning for recording but that's part of the fun too.

Start out slow, then slow down.
Auroch

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 11:41:25 pm »

HAHAHA Karl, you're hilarious.
Love the take turns to breathe bit.

A lot of really great things mentioned in this video. I'm no pro when it comes to recording instruments though I can say I've been fine with using a very inexpensive vocals mic by Behringer. Was less than $40 quite a few years ago now and I still use it for guitars, Ocarina, percussion, etc. Learning how to best utilize a mic is an interesting process though the learning happens pretty quickly, I've found.

If you're new to recording, on a budget and more or less just want to start recording pieces suitable enough for sharing online or personal enjoyment then you could easily experiment with a vocals mic and it might be all you need until you want to advance your setup. I'd like to eventually get something that is more geared towards the Ocarina specifically though for my current needs, I'm fine with what I've got. That being said, I'd be interested in hearing what people have to suggest at this point in time.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:20:30 am by Auroch » Logged

Auroch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: