Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 03, 2020, 04:16:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "D" problems  (Read 5360 times)
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« on: August 31, 2012, 05:09:36 pm »

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a Hardwood C MO. One of the things I have noticed, is my high D is not as clear as I would like. It has a rasp to it. I've tried changing the angle I hold the MO,  changing the amount of air I use, I'm relaxing and opening the back of my throat (like I do in singing)- But nothing is working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

kypfer

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »

Make sure the windway is ABSOLUTELY clear and clean, also that there's no errent little scrap of packaging lurking within the instrument. A quick rinse under the tap and shake dry might help. My experience suggests that Mountain Ocarinas (though it's probably true of all ocarinas) are particularly sensitive to the slightest anomoly, especially at the higher end of their musical range.

Good luck Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:30:36 am »

Thanks for the advise, Kypfer! I did wash it,  I think the problem is probably me.   LOL

Ryang

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:10:33 am »

I've found the same thing with both of my C's - I have a warmstone and a poly and both are raspy on the high D and E.  I don't notice anything like it on either of my G's.  It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the cleanliness of the windway.  I was wondering if it was just my initial poly C but I have another poly C and the warmstone now and all three are a bit raspy.  I do seem to notice it more or less at different times.  I'm wondering if I need to work on some sustained notes and see if varying my breath makes much of a difference.

Solus Christus! Soli Deo Gloria!
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:18:57 pm »

Sounds like insufficient breath pressure. You need to find the amount of breath pressure that gets you a clean sound without making the pitch go sharp.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »

Sounds like insufficient breath pressure. You need to find the amount of breath pressure that gets you a clean sound without making the pitch go sharp.

Thanks Ubizmo,
I know my problem lies with me- LOL
I'm still perfecting the ability to blow hard enough without over blowing. Also the ability to sustain my breath
evenly is still evading me! Especially when working on my vibrato. (sigh)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: