Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 03, 2020, 02:34:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am TIMED OUT with timing!  (Read 8056 times)
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« on: July 30, 2012, 10:50:54 pm »

Hi everyone!
Although my pitch and tone have really improved, and I can read all the notes with no problem Cheesy. I'm really having trouble with timing, Roll Eyes especially playing songs from the Celtic Folksongs book. I've gone through the lesson book/CD, Learning to play M.O.'s. I could do the lessons ok, but the minute I try to read a new piece I just can't transfer what I've learned. All I have to do is hear the piece once and I'm fine, but I just can't play it cold. I'M A MISFIT WITH A MAJOR MENTAL BLOCK.
4/4 time and 3/4 time are ok, but 2/4 and 6/8 etc cause me to flat line Huh. I've tried several other theory books also- so I know it's me. Do any of you have suggestions besides a brain transplant???

Hopefully,
Treblemaker

4efs

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:40:53 am »

I really like to use a metronome.  It is so much easier for me that way!  Often with the Celtic tunes
 at first to just get the hang of it I just give the 8th notes the beat and count it slowly that way no matter what the time signature. Probably not the "right" way but hey, I'm definitely improving so...

Then after you play it a bit try counting it with the beats the way they are written. Pretty soon you'll get much more familiar with the patterns and it'll come much more quickly. Keep at it!

Oh, those things and... practice  Tongue   One thing I heard that helps me keep it in perspective is to remember that sight reading the music itself is a skill separate from playing and if you want to be fluent at it, well, you need to practice sight reading.  Undecided

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
kypfer

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:10:34 am »

Treblemaker said :
All I have to do is hear the piece once and I'm fine, but I just can't play it cold. I'M A MISFIT WITH A MAJOR MENTAL BLOCK
... nope, just normal Smiley

As 4efs points out, there are two skill-sets involved here,
i) - becoming adept at operating the instrument
ii) - reading the music

... you just haven't quite mastered the second bit yet, but it'll come Smiley

Having to hear a tune before being able to play it is quite normal. I started out transcribing a whole bunch of tunes from written music to ABC format, just so's I could play them on the computer to hear what they sounded like. After a hundred or so tunes my sight-reading skills had developed enormously ... I just then needed to co-ordinate my fingers Wink

I struggled with almost everything EXCEPT 6/8 time when I started, unless it was a really simple piece ... now, two years later, it's all very much less of a problem.

Don't worry about it, enjoy the tunes you can play and keep practicing ... it will come Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

4efs and Kypfer,
Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'll keep at it!  Roll Eyes It just seemed so weird that the timing was the only area I wasn't improving in. I'm going to keep working on Music Theory- hopefully it will sink-in. I love playing the Ocarina too much to give up. Thanks again for all the good advice!  Wink

Ryang

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:35:37 pm »

I'm right there with you Treblemaker. Sight reading the timing is my biggest difficulty. I'm glad to read the advice you were given.

Solus Christus! Soli Deo Gloria!
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:48:19 pm »

I'm right there with you Treblemaker. Sight reading the timing is my biggest difficulty. I'm glad to read the advice you were given.
Hey Ryang,
I'm glad the advise helped U too.
I'm taking their advise, yesterday I worked on playing three new pieces from the Celtic book. Try "The Touch Stone" it is a great piece!

Ryang

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 05:26:16 pm »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Solus Christus! Soli Deo Gloria!
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:25 pm »

I wouldn't rule out the brain transplant, though.

For 6/8 it helps to keep some three syllable words in mind to keep the rhythm. Like "Delaware"--two Delawares to a measure.

I find that sight reading is harder because I'm older and my eyes play tricks on me. I see an A where there really is a C...

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:35:42 pm »

I wouldn't rule out the brain transplant, though.

For 6/8 it helps to keep some three syllable words in mind to keep the rhythm. Like "Delaware"--two Delawares to a measure.

I find that sight reading is harder because I'm older and my eyes play tricks on me. I see an A where there really is a C...

LOL   A brain transplant sounds more attractive the older I get  Roll Eyes  too bad we can't just plug more memory into the hardware and add new software from time to time. Thanks for the tip about using a 3 syllable word on 6/8, I'm going to try that! I find that
[/i][/b] is doing a lot of things that I'm not too fond of... I see the wrong note too sometimes.
Thanks so much for your input, Ubizmo, you have really given me some great advise and encouragement.
I hope you and your wife had a wonderful trip to Scotland!
~Pamela[/color]

ubizmo

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:15:12 am »

~Pamela[/color]

We did, thank you. We went to a couple of traditional music pub sessions in Edinburgh. I wasn't able to play much, since I don't know that music very well. What I did know I played on whistle, which tends to work better for range.

But "Scotland the Brave" fits just fine on the MO, and they played it in G, so that was a winner. When the pro-range comes out I'll have more options.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:32:59 pm »

~Pamela[/color]

We did, thank you. We went to a couple of traditional music pub sessions in Edinburgh. I wasn't able to play much, since I don't know that music very well. What I did know I played on whistle, which tends to work better for range.

But "Scotland the Brave" fits just fine on the MO, and they played it in G, so that was a winner. When the pro-range comes out I'll have more options.

It sounds like you really had a great time. The pub sessions sound like so much fun!
I hardly can wait for the pro- range. I've saved up the money and I'm hoping there will be enough of them made so I can get one too.

ubizmo

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

The pub sessions rekindled my interest in playing this sort of music, and since we've been back I've been playing the whistle more and learning some tunes. The thing about sessions is you have to know enough of the music to jump in. There's no shortcut; you just have to learn them one by one. Then, when you have the notes down cold, you can think about ornamentation.

Although Karl has done a great job collecting Celtic tunes that fit the range of the MO, the problem is that most session tunes are played in the range of a D whistle, which is D5 to D7. The MO C goes from C5 to E6 -- or F, the way I play it, but Fnat is of little use in that music. That tends to make trouble for the B part of a lot of jigs and reels. But Scottish pipe tunes work well, since the range of Highland Bagpipes is about the same as the MO G.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 04:55:32 pm »

The pub sessions rekindled my interest in playing this sort of music, and since we've been back I've been playing the whistle more and learning some tunes. The thing about sessions is you have to know enough of the music to jump in. There's no shortcut; you just have to learn them one by one. Then, when you have the notes down cold, you can think about ornamentation.

Although Karl has done a great job collecting Celtic tunes that fit the range of the MO, the problem is that most session tunes are played in the range of a D whistle, which is D5 to D7. The MO C goes from C5 to E6 -- or F, the way I play it, but Fnat is of little use in that music. That tends to make trouble for the B part of a lot of jigs and reels. But Scottish pipe tunes work well, since the range of Highland Bagpipes is about the same as the MO G.

I starded to learn the whistle then I got side tracked by the MO. I've picked up the whistle once or twice since I got my MO's and I've noticed that my playing has improved since I started playing the MO. Guess it must be the breath control I've learned. I've started to learn the Celtic songs  Roll Eyes - but it's going to take a long time, but in the meantime I'm enjoying myself!!!   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: