Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 30, 2020, 08:22:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eliminating Multitrack Latency - the Samson GO Mike  (Read 8628 times)
Pat Anderson

« on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »

My Samson GO microphone arrived in the mail the day before yesterday but I did not get a chance to play with it until last night.  WOW! If you do multitracking on Audacity or some other recording software, the GO mike is really the ticket!

First off, it is a USB condenser mike, quite compact, with a little stand (it is a combination desk stand and laptop screen clip!), and it provides a HUGE improvement in recorded sound quality over the built-in mike. But the biggest benefit, which I was not even aware of when I ordered it, is that it can completely eliminate multitracking latency. I had been having a hard time getting the Audacity latency compensation setting exactly right. Now I have it set to zero!  The trick is to plug your headphones into the GO mike and not the headphone jack on the computer, and set both the input device and the output device in Audacity to the GO mike. Now the second and subsequent tracks somehow are exactly in sync with the first track.  My first track, BTW, is a metronome track from a little app on my iPhone, since I am a little rhythm challenged.  Then I mute the metronome track when mixing down.

This is really a worthwhile addition to your home recording set up!

Here is what they look like:

[On edit: I see that somebody else here has a different Samson condenser mike, this one is smaller and less expensive, I bought it used on Amazon (excellent condition, looked NIB) for $30, I think brand new they are about $45 or so.]

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:49:04 pm by Pat Anderson » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:34:02 pm »

One of the problems I have encountered with condenser microphones is that they tend to pick up more than you want them to (I an an old sound guy).  Do you have that problem with yours?

I have been wanting to get a digital multi track recorder for a while, I guess a guy can dream.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:55:11 am »

The mike has a switch on the side that I think controls the radius from which it picks up - but I am guessing here, they are icons that might mean that or something completely different! 

[On edit: looked at the manual, the switch on the GO mike has three positions for pickup patterns: cardioid, cardioid with 10 dB pad and omni. I also set it on a soft cloth on the desk or table to isolate it.]

I am sure you can spend a ton of money but I like my Macbook Pro running Audacity, it works great.

One of the problems I have encountered with condenser microphones is that they tend to pick up more than you want them to (I an an old sound guy).  Do you have that problem with yours?

I have been wanting to get a digital multi track recorder for a while, I guess a guy can dream.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:12:50 pm by Pat Anderson » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:50 pm »

the switch on the GO mike has three positions for pickup patterns: cardioid, cardioid with 10 dB pad and omni.

That is a very nice feature to have on a cheap mic.  The Cardioid patterns should give you the best results for recording a single instrument.  As of the 10 db pad, you would need to play with that some to see which is best for you, but my guess is that the MO is loud enough so that you won't need the pad.  You are also being smart using something to isolate it from the desk because it don't take much vibration to cause noise in the recording.

I used to have a cheap hand held hi impedance mic that was made for computer recordings but I haven't seen it in a few years and I am not sure how good it would be for recording music.  I was not pleased at all with the quality of the recording that I made using my  headset it just had way too much distortion.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:21:06 am »

My Samson GO microphone arrived in the mail the day before yesterday but I did not get a chance to play with it until last night.  WOW! If you do multitracking on Audacity or some other recording software, the GO mike is really the ticket!
Thanks Pat, I'll check it out!

Pat Anderson

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:24:08 am »

At the price, this is really the ONE thing you can do to improve the quality of your recordings!

Thanks Pat, I'll check it out!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: