Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 14, 2020, 02:28:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: i'm still alive....  (Read 4572 times)
jiminos

humming to myself

« on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »

.... and still on the planet. haven't been here in quite awhile, but i am still alive and still play my MO's.

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:00 am »

Glad to have you back Jim i haven't seen you on here in a very long time.

jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 02:36:53 pm »

true enough, Harp. I think this last February was the last time i posted... i still listen to the posted vids and such. sometimes the tide of life just flows a little differently and you get caught up in other stuff.

hope all is well with you.

jim

Be in this moment.
Truth is.
Harp Player

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:35:43 pm »

I know all about the tides of life.  But if things stayed easy then life would get boring real fast.  Wink   Once things settle back down you can always go back to where you left off on the music.  I haven't heard of a MO going bad due to lack of use.

jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:40 pm »

oh, i haven't left off music. I play guitar, flute and irish whistle, too. my wife and i perform regularly in the area (we're musicians when we are not pretending to do our day jobs.) i've just not had time left over to dedicate to the MO's.

lost a barn, our well went dry, our heat pump died, sick horses, motor on the van went south, oven stopped working after the 16 year old tried his hand at baking, the roof decided to start leaking... so... while i've been tending to all that, i've also been working at my regular job plus rehearsals for concerts and performances.... been a little busy. something had to get neglected... MO's and Spanish got dropped for awhile.

hopefully, now that winter is upon us, and farm work is a little more confined, if more strenuous, i may actually have time to return to MO's and getting back up to speed on my languages so i can get recertified as a translator....

other than that, life is as calm as ever.

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
Truth is.
Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:46 am »

It definitely sounds like you have had a rough year! At least you have been able to keep some music in your life, that is a big thing to someone that has spent years learning to play.   I know a guy that used to play semi pro banjo and let it go to the point to where even basic grass standards were almost impossible for him to play.   I still love the sound of the MO but my instrument is the harmonica and it mostly likely will be forever. I am to the point to where I can usually jump into a song I have never even heard before just a few pars into it and do a reasonable job at it (assuming it is a style I am familiar with).  I know that I am many years away from being there with the Ocarina but in time I hope to get there.  It is just hard to keep from getting discouraged by the huge difference in my skill level on the instruments.   

I did play with the guitar a little bit, but I just can't seem to make my left fingers press just one string at a time.  That is too bad because I do love the sound of a well played guitar. I already have a 1X12 100 watt Laney Hard Core Max amp that I use with my Harmonicas when I need something with some punch.  So I already have an amp that makes alot of lead guitar guys jealous.

Traeak

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »

Take a shot at ukulele, it should be lots easier than guitar, definitely easier on your fingers.  It's a great choice as a simple accompanying instrument for a singer.  Learn a few chords and go!

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
Harp Player

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 06:39:37 pm »

Take a shot at ukulele

Good suggestion, but I never was a vary big fan of the uke.  The sad thing is that I have a nice Yamaha acoustic guitar and a Banjo just sitting around the house.  I got them for the wife several years ago but they just didn't stick for some reason.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:18:01 am »

I don't know about the uke, but I have a FABULOUS (fairly) new Taylor GSmini guitar (birthday present back in August), and I am itching to do some multi-tracking on Audacity with my MO-C and the Taylor guitar!  Anyway, Jim, I am glad you are back, we  need a little more life around here!

Scott Maness

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:43:45 pm »

I'm still alive too.    Smiley

I am still enjoying my MO.  They fit in my case with my Uke real well. 
I can grab one little case and have several instruments with me.  ( harmonicas too).   Smiley

4efs

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:00 am »

So when we gonna hear some jammin multitrack tunes, Smaness?  Preferably with Swedish vocals.... (I mean it's not like you have a little baby and a few kids or anything like that to take up your time Shocked)

Welcome back Jim!

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 04:37:19 pm »

other than that, life is as calm as ever.

be well,

jim

It's good to here from you, Jim. I hope the New Year goes much better for you, and that you have time to play your M O!
Blessings,
Pamela

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: