Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 10, 2020, 06:32:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody Up for a Collab in December?  (Read 15504 times)
Pat Anderson

« on: December 16, 2012, 11:57:30 pm »

I know Oc-Awareness is in Oc-tober, but why only do collabs only once a year? 

How about a collab on "O So do Ar" (the LAST ABC version posted in the ABC Notation thread is the correct one, DON'T grab the earlier versions, the first is a mess, and the several between the first and the last are not correct).  It is in D Dorian, no sharps or flats, 3/4 time, and goes along at a pretty good clip!

To keep everyone in tempo, they could just print out the ABC and play along with Luar na Lubre recording in an earphone.  I could put that up so everyone could grab it.  Then everyone could put their rendition either in the their Dropbox and post the public link or on Youtube, and I would put it all together, I would be happy to do the video editing.

Sound like a plan?

Pat Anderson

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:42:50 am »

Here is the sheet music.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »

And listen to the original here.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:29:31 pm by Pat Anderson » Logged
Pat Anderson

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »

And here is how YouTube does it - all legal, YouTube pays royalties to the music publishers for copyrighted music on YouTube, been in force for over a year now...

Here is the straight dope.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:14:38 pm »

This thread feels kind of like Martin Short's classic sketch "solo synchronized swimming"!

I just download BPM Analyzer, and according to this software, O Son do Ar is at 108 BPM - it certainly seems faster, I had pegged it sort of by ear around 150 BPM.

SO if you want to take a crack at this, put your metronome or click track at 108 BPM!

I am going to do this tune, whether it is a collab or "solo synchronized ocarina playing"!

4efs

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 06:37:47 am »

Hey Pat,  I'll play! I think I can eek that in here somewhere!... sounds like fun Grin

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Pat Anderson

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:39:49 pm »

Fantastic!  Two makes a collab, but it would certainly be nice if there were more!

Hey Pat,  I'll play! I think I can eek that in here somewhere!... sounds like fun Grin

kypfer

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »

I did imply a degree of interest on one of the other threads regarding this tune, so I'll re-iterate here, just for the record, I'll be happy to forward a video for your editing and appropriate inclusion. As things stand at the moment it'll probably be the early part of January before I'm sufficiently up to speed playing this tune on the M.O. to submit a presentable performance. Domestic restrictions, especially over the holiday period, mean I won't be able to make as much "noise" as I like for as long as I'd like to ... but I'll practice on my ultra-quiet whistle  Wink

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Pat Anderson

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »

Thank you!  The schedule is not really the critical thing! 

I did imply a degree of interest on one of the other threads regarding this tune, so I'll re-iterate here, just for the record, I'll be happy to forward a video for your editing and appropriate inclusion. As things stand at the moment it'll probably be the early part of January before I'm sufficiently up to speed playing this tune on the M.O. to submit a presentable performance. Domestic restrictions, especially over the holiday period, mean I won't be able to make as much "noise" as I like for as long as I'd like to ... but I'll practice on my ultra-quiet whistle  Wink

4efs

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »

Oh yay!  January is good!  Wink

Come on ya'll it's a cool song!

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Prairie Wolf

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:16 pm »

I would enjoy trying something like that, but I fear I am not equipped to do so as I have no gadgets necessary to make it work so that it syncs with the recording. Only thing I could do is listen to the You Tube video and play along, kind of thing. But, for those who can - this is a great song to do it with. Best of luck to you all - should produce a great collaboration.

"The spirit of the Earth in the notes of the flute
the song speaks for my soul, when my voice is mute." -- kap
Traeak

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:08:40 pm »

This will end up being a collaboration like david ramos did with "you are my sunshine"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bm7rL3zYsk

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
Pat Anderson

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:14 pm »

That is the idea. I am sure David is way more skilled at the video editing than I am. And I hope our playing is indoors, with better sound quality, played more in tune and on tempo than a few of the "Sunshine" contributors!

This will end up being a collaboration like david ramos did with "you are my sunshine"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bm7rL3zYsk

Traeak

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »

I'm actually interested in adding different harmony lines to this song.  That's more a software challenge than anything (yuk).

and here's the abc that goes with that huge image sheet (A version that works in my abc editor and midi generator/player):

X:1
T:O Son do Ar
C:Bieito Romero (Luar Na Lubre)
D:Luar Na Lubre: "Plenilunio" & "O Son do Ar"
D:Mike Oldfield: "Voyager"
O:Galicia
Z:Pat Anderson for Mountain Ocarina
M:3/4
K:Ddor
Q:130
%%MIDI program 79
D2 E2 | "Dm" F3 E F2 | "C" G3 F G2 | "F" A3 G F2| "Dm" D3 F A2 |
"F" c3 d c2 | "G" B3 c B2 | "Am" B2 A3 G | A2 D2 E2|
"Dm" F3 E F2 | "C" G3 F G2 | "F" A3 G F2 | "Dm" D3 F G2|
"Bb"F3 E D2 | "Am" C3 D E2 | "Dm" D6- |D2 :|
|: AG FE | "Dm" D4 E2 | "C" C3 D E2 | "Dm" D3 E F2 | "C" G3 F E2 |
"Bb" D4 E2 | "Am" C3 D E2 | "Dm" E2 D3 C | D2 AG FE |
"Dm" D4 E2 | "C" C3 D E2 | "Dm" D3 E F2 | "Bb" G3 F E2|
"Dm" F3 E D2 | "C" E3 D C2 | "Dm" D6- | D2 :|

and here's a link to the output midi of the above:
http://soundcloud.com/traeak/osondoar

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:17:02 am by Traeak » Logged

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
Pat Anderson

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 03:01:59 pm »

OK, correction - I played the tune at the original suggested 108 BPM, and it sounded like a dirge!  So I re-ran just the part I am suggesting we do through BPM Analyzer again, and it came out 127!  So let's use 127 BPM, or if anybody has another suggestion, let's hear it!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: