Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 11:12:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dj/dt (Change in journey with respect to time)  (Read 3891 times)
Calculus

« on: December 28, 2012, 11:53:43 am »

I started playing Mountain Ocarinas Nov 30 2011. I had never really played any instrument well at all besides piano as a young kid (I could play the pink panther melody by memory but not sight reading), and that was not easy to learn fingerings for. I had dabbled in tin whistle and recorder playing, so fipple flutes were not foreign to me, but learned a lot faster than i thought i would. Against my parent's wishes (I still live within five miles from their house, and they thought it looked weird.) I wore my ocarina whenever I could and remembered to. A lot of times I still didn't play it, due to fear of disturbing others. I found the c harder than the g, but preferred it's sound at the time. One day, someone with kids walked over to where I was playing. I thought she would ask me to stop playing, but instead, the kids had asked her to take them over to listen. After that, I grew much more confident that people would at least tolerate it, and played much more frequently out of the home. I learned how to play the 'unofficial" notes (fipple bending lows and overblown high) "Take me out to the ball game" Yankee Doodle", "Greensleeves" in d minor later in e minor) and a few other tune's other people have come up with, and started composing my own ocarina tunes. I had already composed some other tunes using LMMS on my computer. I forgot to play a couple months at a time sometimes, but always remembered eventually. I learned how to play many modes (variations on the major scale due to starting note) in other keys than standard. At this point I considered myself a serious beginner ocarinist, rather than a novice, although I did not and still do not know many tunes and cannot read music very fast or in all keys.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »

I carry my Poly C in the pocket of my jacket pretty much all the time, and at work, I will come out and announce "ocarina break" and play a tune!  They tolerate me...and are fairly impressed with O So do Ar!

Calculus

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:02:31 am »

I'm definitely getting much better with rhythm now. I've started to get the 5/4 and 7/4 time signatures to almost feel natural to my mind! Also, I seem to be able to take a given tune in one rhythm and make it's rhythm more "compatible" with another given tune's more and more easily. I actually am using this for one of my main composition, which is a medley of all of my favorite compositions so far. The minor scales starting on concert A seem to be my favorite, and I'm learning to use the major scales to better effect. I rarely play my C ocarina anymore, however. I find the extra hole and easier fipple bend (for the extra-low notes) almost essential for playing in A minor given the nature of most of the music I compose in it. I also seem to have come up with my own unique blend of musical styles. I've asked a few people about my latest composition, and they have a hard time telling me which genre is is like. I listen to a very wide array of music, but I'm surprised I could compose like that! I definitely think I need to start writing it all down or recording it outside of LMMS, as I play by memory because it is currently faster for me. I seem to still have significant (but greatly lessened, and I work on it) stage/recording fright though. I also am lazy concerning the writing of normal sheet music, especially when I can have a computer play a midi I made using a piano roll.

Scott Maness

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:40:53 am »

I forgot to play a couple months at a time sometimes, but always remembered eventually.

There was quite a long stretch last year that I did not play my ocarina.  (It is kind of funny since I still was carrying it everywhere in my pocket.)

I play several instruments and tend to drift between them for periods of time. 

After that, I grew much more confident that people would at least tolerate it, and played much more frequently out of the home.

That is a hard step for a lot of people.  I am glad to hear about your progress. 

I rarely play my C ocarina anymore, however. I find the extra hole and easier fipple bend (for the extra-low notes) almost essential

I find that I can get more range form the G as well.  It would be amazing if they made an ocarina with the exact same design 1 octave lower than the G.

Calculus

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 04:18:16 am »

I've been composing pretty actively, and have probably composed enough for the mountain ocarina to make a medley of quite a decent length. I will be posting an abc soon. My influences rhythmically seem primarily to be rock/electronic/pop, Irish and klezmer, melodically I take a lot from jazz and klezmer, and my harmony is almost entirely rock based. I've been recording stuff in milkytracker and lmms. (a REALLY old school style way of computer producing music and a recently v1.0 achieving Linux multimedia studio.) I am extremely happy with some of my most recent works.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: