Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 03:23:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Jamming"  (Read 2237 times)
stanof
Active Newbie

« on: January 10, 2013, 01:19:17 pm »

Any advise on how to get get into "jamming" with other musicians at open mike type sessions or "jam" sessions? Musical techniques,etc. How to play along, etc.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:01:40 pm »

No advice, except go to open mike nights at your local!  Listen, talk to other folks, maybe it will all become clear!  Get a few tunes down cold and play solo maybe.  And please keep us posted! 

Any advise on how to get get into "jamming" with other musicians at open mike type sessions or "jam" sessions? Musical techniques,etc. How to play along, etc.

kypfer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:45:24 pm »

Any advise on how to get get into "jamming" with other musicians at open mike type sessions or "jam" sessions
... well, it may seem obvious, but first you need to be very familiar with the tunes they are playing. So more or less everything that Pat suggested. With any one regular get-together there'll be a "core" of tunes that turn up regularly, so you'll need to spend some time at your local "gathering" to get a feel of what's happening. Do bear in mind that there's no "one way" to play any tune - local variations will exist.

Certainly, learn some other tunes as well. If you're confident enough to start playing solo, there's a good chance someone else will join in, assuming your choice of music isn't too obscure.

Good luck Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Harp Player

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:07:03 am »

I don't know about going to jam sessions or open mic nights and that sort of stuff, but if you talk to people you come in contact with on a regular basis about music I am sure that you will find out that other people you know play something and they may be interested in someone to play with.  I have been on my new job a couple of weeks and already found a couple of closet musicians.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: