Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 14, 2020, 01:24:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro-Range>Standardized recorder range  (Read 10097 times)
Pat Anderson

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:38:00 am »

Also, the patent info is great too! Check this description (copy and paste):

1. A flute, comprising: a first chamber in which sound is resonated; a second chamber in which sound is resonated; and a bisected tonehole disposed at and shared by saidfirst chamber and said second chamber, said bisected tonehole being configured such that a first bisected portion facilitates airflow communication only through said first chamber and a second bisected portion facilitates airflow communication onlythrough said second chamber, said bisected tonehole being coverable by a single finger of an operator's hand.

Two chambers but airflow directed by bisected tone holes!  So it will be a multichamber but play very much like like a single chambered instrument.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:41:46 pm by Pat Anderson » Logged
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 04:42:44 pm »

Also, the patent info is great too! Check this description (copy and paste):

1. A flute, comprising: a first chamber in which sound is resonated; a second chamber in which sound is resonated; and a bisected tonehole disposed at and shared by saidfirst chamber and said second chamber, said bisected tonehole being configured such that a first bisected portion facilitates airflow communication only through said first chamber and a second bisected portion facilitates airflow communication onlythrough said second chamber, said bisected tonehole being coverable by a single finger of an operator's hand.

Two chambers but airflow directed by bisected tone holes!  So it will be a multichamber but play very much like like a single chambered instrument.

This also explains why the construction of these instruments is such a time-intensive undertaking. These bisected tone holes have to be exactly right, or the tuning will be off. This is true of any ocarina, of course, but this design is more complex and therefore more error-prone.

We think of the ocarina as a "primitive" instrument, but the Pro-Range will have to be made with as much care as what goes into a handmade wooden recorder.

kypfer

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »

Before our pundits start waxing lyrical about bisected tone holes (or not, as the case might be), please do note that I posted the link to the patent to emphasise just how long Karl had been working on improving the Mountain Ocarina ... not necessarily to demonstrate any aspect of the current design  Embarrassed

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Pat Anderson

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 12:13:24 am »

You are right but the patent information is consistent with everything we know and that Karl has said, and I would imagine that Karl would want to have patent protection for an instrument with a novel design - did you find any patent other than this one?

Before our pundits start waxing lyrical about bisected tone holes (or not, as the case might be), please do note that I posted the link to the patent to emphasise just how long Karl had been working on improving the Mountain Ocarina ... not necessarily to demonstrate any aspect of the current design  Embarrassed

kypfer

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 07:23:43 am »

... patent protection for an instrument with a novel design - did you find any patent other than this one?
Prompted by a posting on a similar subject on another forum, I simply searched for "Karl Ahrens" + patent and came up with three results, this one and two earlier ones. That's not to say that there aren't other relevent patents held by someone else, being used under license, for instance, or even features that are considered to be non-patentable, but possibly novel in this circumstance.

Please do realise, I have no "inside" information, I'm simply trying to add to a discussion  Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Pat Anderson

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »

Well, we are all just like little puppies, watching expectantly to snap up any scrap thrown our way!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: