Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 20, 2019, 02:56:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Mountain Ocarinas atop mountains in the Valley of the Sun  (Read 3265 times)
Calculus

« on: December 30, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »

I live in Phoenix, AZ, and I hike in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve sometimes. I'm wondering how far the sound would carry and if this would be problematic.

HawkeyeMcFly

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:26:34 pm »

Well, the hikers in the neighbouring valleys might not hear you Cheesy . If you get an echo from yelling, chances are you can hear yourself playing, and others might so, too. This sqieking box Wink can be quite loud.
I once played in the heathlands of denmark (absolutely flat) and got echoes from bungalows app. 100 meters away.
On the other hand, this might be quite helpful as a distress call (morse-code maybe) in case you have problems.

### Always remember the wise words of One-Arm McGinty: Never ever throw water balloons at people carrying chainsaws ###
Traeak

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:17 pm »

depends on the wind as well.  that high up even a slight breeze will blow the sound away.  just from experience hiking here in CO.

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
Calculus

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:25:13 am »

Hmm.. I just don't want to get arrested for disturbing the peace or something. In phoenix, as far as I know, time of day isn't necessarily relevant for that crime.

Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:17 am »

I have played my MO outside at times and I haven't had any complaints from the neighbors ;-).

With that being said the MO does seem to carry quite well and I do sometimes hear a bit of an echo.

HawkeyeMcFly

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:14 am »

Hmm.. I just don't want to get arrested for disturbing the peace or something. In phoenix, as far as I know, time of day isn't necessarily relevant for that crime.
Well, "disturbing" depends a lot on your skills/ability to play Wink Grin
If you want to be better safe than sorry, consult a lawyer.
From my experience, people (especially children) will come from long distances to hear you play.

### Always remember the wise words of One-Arm McGinty: Never ever throw water balloons at people carrying chainsaws ###
Pat Anderson

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 06:02:21 am »

I wish to heck we were in AZ or CO!  Here in Birch Bay it started out with a nice little snow storm this morning, then it cleared up a bit, just chilly!  I took my dog Baxter for a walk this afternoon and played Finnegan's Wake on the MO-G walking down the street!  No echo here, but I did get a a couple of people smiling!

Calculus

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 05:17:27 am »

I know we have it easy here, as I have been in CT in the middle of winter. However, we did have ice on the ground this morning from sprinklers. I hope it snows; I can only clearly remember one snowfall here. My sister managed to put together a snowball from it that we kept in the freezer for about a decade. I have no idea how she did it, as there was not even enough snow to cover anywhere near a tenth of the ground. I believe it snowed one other time here during my lifetime of 21 years, but I'm not sure. Why do you wish you were in Colorado? I thought it was pretty cold for the most part up there.

Back on topic: I have decided not to play on the mountain. I don't want to anger the rangers or those who come to hike for a break from the surrounding city.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: