Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
December 12, 2019, 10:44:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox Hunter's slip jig  (Read 6974 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: January 17, 2013, 07:13:41 pm »

X: 1
T: The Foxhunter's
R: slip jig
M: 9/8
L: 1/8
K: Dmaj
|: FDF F2D G2E | FDF F2D E2D | FDF F2D G2B | AFD DEF E2D :|
|: B3 BAG FGA | B2E E2F G2B | ABc dcB ABc | d2 D D2 F E2 D :|
|: FDF F2D G2E | FDF F2D E2D | FDF F2D G2B | AFD DEF E2D :|
|: GFE dcB AGF | B2 E E2 F G2 B | ABc dcB ABc | d2 D DEF E2 D :|

This is a lovely, energizing slip jig with four parts, but the B part is just A part played an octave higher. We can't do that on the MO, of course, so I've just put the A part in again. Also, in the D part, I had to "fold" the first three notes down an octave. It doesn't sound too bad.

Here's a nice performance of it on fiddle and guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZTvnT2G1I

You can play along with it to practice.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »

I like this one!

I am trying to get a collection of lead sheets for tunes for "sessions" at the Snoqualmie Taproom - I was quite bummed (as the "landlord" of the Taproom) that the Duvall Grill, 15 miles up the road in our little rural valley, has put up a notice on thesession.org for a session at their place. Nothing says there can't be one in each little town though!

ubizmo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:48:56 pm »

It belatedly occurred to me that this can be played without "folding" in the key of C, if you can get the high F. Sounds pretty good, too. Of course, I still have to keep the C part in the first octave, so it's just a repetition of the A part. But the D part gets played as written.

X:1
T:The Foxhunter's
R:slip jig
M:9/8
L:1/8
K:Cmaj
|: ECE E2C F2D | ECE E2C D2C | ECE E2C F2A | GEC CDE D2C :|
|: A3 AGF EFG | A2D D2E F2A | GAB cBA GAB | c2 C C2 E D2 C :|
|: fed cBA GFE | A2 D D2 E F2 A | GAB cBA GAB | c2 C CDE D2 C :|

Pat Anderson

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:30:24 pm »

Yes, C is better than D here it seems.  The veins still stand out on my neck, but I am getting better at the high F.  What tempo would this be played at typically? 

It belatedly occurred to me that this can be played without "folding" in the key of C, if you can get the high F. Sounds pretty good, too. Of course, I still have to keep the C part in the first octave, so it's just a repetition of the A part. But the D part gets played as written.

|: A3 AGF EFG | A2D D2E F2A | GAB cBA GAB | c2 C C2 E D2 C :|
|: fed cBA GFE | A2 D D2 E F2 A | GAB cBA GAB | c2 C CDE D2 C :|

DaveBj
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:20:38 am »

Yes, C is better than D here it seems.  The veins still stand out on my neck, but I am getting better at the high F.  What tempo would this be played at typically?  .

I put the linked performance on the stopwatch and did the math, and it comes out to 125 bpm, with the dotted quarter getting one beat (3 beats per measure).

Edit: FWIW, I noticed that the fiddler was playing FGF for every occurrence of FDF in the first and third lines.  Actually, I thought that made the melody a little more interesting.

DaveBj

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:26:44 am by DaveBj » Logged
ubizmo

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:00 pm »

As with all ITM, ornamentations may be liberally added, and different instruments will sometimes favor different ornaments. I tend to roll the F# in the FDF phrase, so it plays FAFDF. The A is approximate, depending on which hole I roll with.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 03:51:22 am »

OK, anybody take a crack at guitar chords for this one? The video is interesting, really need to slow it down to see if we can grab the chords here.

kypfer

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:26:25 pm »

anybody take a crack at guitar chords for this one?
... the video is in D, so the first 8 bars are predominantly a D chord ... something like D D D A7 D G A7 D and repeat ... then he does  a "clever bit" down to an Em, but his fingers are so long and the camera's waving about so much I can't quite see what he's doing  Sad then A7 D ... more "twiddle" Em "twiddle" D and repeat. The "twiddle" probably incorporates a derivative of B7 and/or Bm7 and/or F# or F#m but I'd have to hack about for a bit on the box to make a better guess ... and it's late.

Edit : check out http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/session-guitar-tab/foxhunters_jig.htm ... that should do it for you Smiley

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:38:05 pm by kypfer » Logged

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Pat Anderson

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 05:08:04 am »

Indeed, that kind of shows it all!  Thanks!  Now all I need is a stove pipe hat!

Pat Anderson

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »

Coming back to this one! Some edits to the tune to reflect the way I hear it, and guitar chords added.  Got to record this next with guitar and ocarina!

|: "C" EFE E2C "F"F2D | "C" EFE E2C "G7" D2C | "C"EFE E2C "F" F2A | "C" GEC CDE "G7"D2C :|
|: "Am" ABA AGF EFG | "Dm" A2D D2E F2A | "C" GAB cBA GAB | c2 C C2 E "G7" D2 C :|
|: "C" EFE E2C "F" F2D | "C" ECE E2C "G7" D2C | "C" EFE E2C "F" F2A | "C" GEC CDE "G7" D2C :|
|: "Am" fed cBA GFE | "Dm" A2 D D2 E F2 A | "C" GAB cBA GAB | c2 C CDE "G7" D2 C :|

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:41:12 pm by Pat Anderson » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: