Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 14, 2020, 02:47:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Condensation question  (Read 2701 times)
cymbrogi
Active Newbie

« on: April 22, 2013, 02:27:02 pm »

Hi all.  I have a quick question for any of you that have both a Hardwood and a Warmstone, or have played both.  Is there less of a condensation (spit) problem with hardwoods over warmstone as they are still somewhat wood and not completely waterproof?  I have a warmstone C and am having a horrible time with condensation in the windway.  I clear it out constantly, both by sucking it out and by blowing through with the hole covered.  I may just have a spit problem, but I have not really experienced it before on any of my other instruments I play or have played.  Any info will be helpful. 

PS Just in case it comes up, I have cleaned the windway several times with paper and have rinsed it with water several times.  Also, the spit problem sometimes comes back almost instantly after I suck the spit out.  Thanks for any help.         

Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:58 pm »

That is a fairly common problem with new players.  It will get better with time. I have a warmstone but no hardwood. From what I understand the hardwood has the polly liner in the windway the same as the warmstone.

4efs

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:02:17 am »

Hey there,
It's been my personal experience that my Warmstone C really doesn't appreciate the cold damp weather. We keep our house at 68degrees F in the winter and on the Oregon coast it is really damp. My Warmstone likes any sunny drier days. I tend to play a little heavy with my T's too so that probably adds to it. I keep Q-tips on my music stand and swab out the inside if it gets too bothersome, and paper out the windway. The spit problem did improve some with practice/time.  My warmstone G is not quite as persnickety about the cold and damp. 

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
cymbrogi
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:39:56 am »

Well, the whole reason I really made this post is because I don't have this problem with either of my polys G & C.  I recently got a Hardwood G second and again do not have the issue.  I have had the poly c for nearly 6 months, and the warmstone for nearly 2.  I just tried a little test: I washed both the poly and the warmstone out with water, let them dry, then cleaned the windway out with paper on both.  Within 30 seconds, the warmstone was buzzing on the high E again while the poly I played for over 2 min and never had an issue.  The warmstone almost seems airy and a little "whiny" on the high E, but the poly doesn't.  My best explanation of "whiny" would probably be a man using falsetto, sounds different and a little weaker.

Just for the cold and damp weather thing, I don't know if that is what is affecting mine.  I live in Ohio and it is not that cold or damp right now.  I definitely could see it affecting it, just not sure right now.

I really hope there is something I can do to fix it, just not sure, because I have been trying for nearly 2 months since I got it.  I would have to say right now I prefer my poly over the warmstone, and I don't like that. Not saying I am giving up, just getting a little frustrated I guess.

Well, thanks for any more help and have a great day.

Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:55:32 am »

You didn't mention that you have a polly c in you first posting, and that you were not having that problem with it. 

You do need to have your instrument at or near body temperature to help keep some of the moisture under control.  With the polly that happens very quickly but it does take longer to warm up the thicker heavier warmstone. I would suggest that you put it in your pocket for a little while before playing, that should help some with the moisture.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: