Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 23, 2019, 02:29:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dark Island YouTube  (Read 5515 times)
Pat Anderson

« on: July 15, 2013, 04:52:54 am »

Here you go!  This was not done on one of my MOs, it was actually played on a Night by Noble plastic ocarina from Japan. I made the backtrack with Finale Notepad with a virtual church organ, acoustic guitar and acoustic bass. I do like this one a lot!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:56:28 am by Pat Anderson » Logged
IzzyB
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:24:57 pm »

Thanks for sharing! I can't say I love the backtrack, but the ocarina is nice. Definitely can tell it's not an MO, from the tone. Smiley Where is the song from?

Izzy
Pat Anderson

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 04:46:19 am »

The tune is the theme from a 1963 BBC mini-series. I first heard Prairie Wolf play it on an alto recorder. Here is her YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZBEYXqtuLw.  Kathy's version inspired me, and I decided to give it a go.  I got the sheet music from Paul Hardy's Tunebook. I did one YouTube which was totally wrong, then I did this one and took the first one down.   I listened to Mary Duff sing it, and think I got the "feeling" right this time.  I changed one chord to match Mary's version (drives Jack Campin crazy!). I really like the backtrack...what is it about it that puts you off?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:01:52 am by Pat Anderson » Logged
IzzyB
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:39:09 pm »

Sorry, I should have said what it was I didn't like. I never really like electronic/midi instrumentation. So really, backtracks in general bother me. The composition of the backtrack is nice - I would just prefer it to be performed with real instruments. Smiley

Izzy
Pat Anderson

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 02:13:26 pm »

Well, I certainly can understand that, I will probably use real instruments for accompaniment for whatever I do next, guitar and electric bass. 

Sorry, I should have said what it was I didn't like. I never really like electronic/midi instrumentation. So really, backtracks in general bother me. The composition of the backtrack is nice - I would just prefer it to be performed with real instruments. Smiley

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 03:58:46 am »

It took me a few days to get around to giving your new recording a listen.  I would have to agree that you did a much better job on this one.  As for the backing track, you use whatever tools you have available so no need to apologize for that.  I  wish I was in a position to make a few recordings to post.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:17:43 am »

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.  I really felt this tune cried out for a kind of lush or full backtrack, and it was a great deal of fun learning to create a backtrack in Finale Notepad, even though the sound is, it is hard to deny, pretty clearly synthesized. 

Tomorrow, God willing and the creek don't rise, I am going to record one or two more tunes.  First up will be The Ash Grove with ocarina and guitar, probably on the Night by Noble.  This is one of the first tunes I learned, and I really did not appreciate it until it kept running through my head, whistling it, and humming it.  Then a great ITM tune, The Star of County Down, which I think sounds better on the MO-C, the brighter or brasher sound just fits this one, but we'll see, I will probably try it on a couple of different instruments (have a new With Ocarina unglazed clay ocarina from Korea received as a gift, just love it).  Also in my plans is The Foxhunter, a slip jig in 9/8 time.  So many tunes, so little time!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: