Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 24, 2019, 04:25:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My New Website - ABC Music Notation  (Read 7767 times)
Pat Anderson

« on: August 08, 2013, 01:50:47 pm »

All,

Please take a look at my new website, ABC Music Notation.  Actually, I could use your help looking at it carefully for mistakes, and for our experts, if I made any boneheaded misstatements or glaring omissions. Please leave a message in the Forum so I will know that somebody has been there!

It was amazingly easy to create this website with Weebly, a free online website creator (and of course there is the usual "upgrade to Pro" option).  I had never heard of Weebly before, but it works pretty well, and from the hits on Google, it seems a lot of universities are use it for student websites. You just drop elements on a blank page and start filling in the content.  Adding pages and subpages is trivial.  Even the Forum was just a couple of mouse clicks and a small amount of typing.  I made no effort at art here.

I did this as much to solidify my own knowledge as for any reason, but I think a lot of people are curious about ABC notation (and it IS time to leave tabs behind, learn to read music, for crying out loud), but find the usual serious approach a little intimidating. So this is bare bones but hopefully a bit easier of a read. I send people off to Steve Mansfield's LeSession pages and the ABC standard itself for the full meal deal.

Anyway, I would appreciate a few minutes of your time to take a look!

Pat Anderson

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:39:57 pm by Pat Anderson » Logged
Prairie Wolf

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »

Wonderful, thanks, Pat, for creating and sharing this. I already bookmarked it to refer to later.

"The spirit of the Earth in the notes of the flute
the song speaks for my soul, when my voice is mute." -- kap
Pat Anderson

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:24:03 am »

Thanks, Kathy.  I have a few responses also from the ABC Users Yahoo group, most of whom are way technical and perhaps over my head!  I have a bit to digest in those comments! 

LeakyDuck

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:25:28 am »

Nice web site. Best part all of your links that I tried worked.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:46:38 am »

They should work, I tested them all!

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:56:52 am »

I didn't have time to look in depth at your site but what I saw looked like a great start at building a site.   I do need to take a closer look at your tutorial as i haven't taken the time to learn much about abc notation.  Anyway keep up the good work.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:29 am »

It would be great if everyone here would take a look!  ABC notation is really amazing, it is easier to learn than you might think, and great to build a personal tune collection even if you don't understand a thing about the notation itself.

Harp Player

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:11:52 am »

I read part of a tutorial on ABC one time but it got way to involved for me real quick. What I saw of yours looked more in line with my needs and willingness to learn starting out.

As for having a personal song collection I have at least 5 song books that I can locate fairly quick.  One of the books is about 90 years old and one of them was published less than 5 years ago.   It is kind of interesting to see how music and even a give song has changed in that amount of time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: