Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 05:46:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: advanced alternate fingering chart  (Read 5570 times)
Calculus

« on: October 25, 2013, 06:02:11 am »

It would be helpful if there was a central database, preferably using standardized "pictures" made from text, that the community could add alternate fingerings to, along with our recommendations on when to use them and how to adjust breath pressure (in words). Currently there is information here, on the ocarina-maker site and at the 300 scales and arpeggios site.

Xs and Os seem to be a good way to represent fingerholes:

OOOO|O
OOOO|O

(that line thingy is the key above the enter above and with the shift)

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 03:37:41 pm »

I tend to use the following convention: OO|OOOO|OOOO, where the first two are Left thumb, right thumb, then left hand tone holes and right hand tone holes.

Keeping in mind that my standard high E fingering is OO|OXOO|OOOO, overblowing a bit, to get Eb I just cover and adjacent hole, so OO|XXOO|OOOO or OO|OXXO|OOOO, whichever works better. I don't often use the standard thumb hole fingering.

Calculus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:51:50 pm »

Hmm... I had to think this one over a bit.

I tried to copy the notation system you used out of memory (and which I prefer), but the two line system (highly inferior in text-based systems) was what I thought of.

It might be best if (excluding standard fingerings) all non-standard fingerings were listed for a given scale (possibly both acceding and descending). I definitely think there  needs to be notation for fipple bends and "high f" as well. The fingerings should have the written and, possibly in the case of the g ocarina, concert pitches next to them. The notes next to the fingerings could be sufficient for the high f, but I think there might be times one would fipple bend with a hole uncovered on the g ocarina. (I haven't thought that through yet)

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:45 pm »

I guess because I've played tubular woodwinds my whole life, it doesn't even cross my mind that my hands aren't arranged linearly on the ocarina. As you say, it's difficult to use a 2-line system in text, and it just doesn't seem worth the trouble. As for overblowing and fipple bend, I suggest appending a parenthetical (+) or (-) to the tablature. So, on the MO C, low B is: XX|XXX|XXXX(-). Maybe the parentheses are unnecessary.

Of course, the same fingering applies to low Bb and low A! You just have to bend more.

Calculus

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »

A number following the minus sign might be a way to notate the intensity of the fipple bend. (Whew.. I'm glad I didn't use any of my example notation and put anyone on the wrong track. Pluses and minuses are definitely better than what I could come up with. I don't seem to type much on that row of the keyboard besides actual numbers.) I think a better use for the parentheses might be holding the concert pitch of the note for the g ocarina. As this is going to focus on fingerings, it would make sense to keep the standard transposition. A clear distinction still needs to be made between g and c fingerings, though not necessarily in the notation itself.

Calculus

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 06:00:34 pm »

I wonder if this topic might be better off in the general discussion area?

I'm finding that
Bb   XX|XXXX|XXXX - (concert f)   
Bb   XX|OXOO|OOOO (concert f)
F     OO|OOOO|OOOO + (concert c)

works well for playing in (concert) a minor/c major on the g ocarina   

Edited in the transposed pitches

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:16:10 pm by Calculus » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: