Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 27, 2020, 10:33:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding your ocarina on the high notes  (Read 9233 times)
Cliff

« on: December 11, 2008, 09:08:44 am »

How to hold/support your ocarina when you play the high notes on your ocarina.

Please note: our goal in making these videos is to help you to enjoy your ocarina and to grow as a musician. Unfortunately, the production quality is rather poor. Please feel free to post questions and to offer any feedback or suggestions that might increase the helpfulness of future videos. With your input, and as time and resources permit, we hope to get better and better.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:12:58 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:35:41 pm »

Karl,
  thanks for the helpful video! Nice playing too! Very informative!

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
SamSpade
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:10:53 am »

Why not support it with the left pinky (especially since on the C Ocarina there isn't a hole for it to cover)?

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:14:19 pm »

Why not support it with the left pinky (especially since on the C Ocarina there isn't a hole for it to cover)?

Good question!  Of course, you are free to develop your own technique. There are no strict rules about how to do this. 

Here is why I don't support the ocarina with the left pinky, except in very rare cases such as when dropping from a high C (G) to a low C (G).

Most people, when they play with other musicians, wind up using BOTH the C and G ocarinas.  A key to fluid playing of fast, challenging music is to always keep your fingers in position near their corresponding toneholes. It's more of a stretch from the pinky support position to the pinky tonehole on the left hand than it is on the right hand. If I routinely supported my ocarina with the left pinky, I'd have a hard time playing some of the music I play. Also, anchoring that left pinky to the ocarina can restrict certain ornaments. 

Most importantly, with a little practice you'll find that you don't need the left pinky to support the ocarina.  What seems best initially might not be best in the long run, and bad habits take time to break. Still, when all is said and done, my way is NOT the only way.  Feel free to experiment with what works best for YOU.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:16:54 pm by Karl » Logged
Jessica
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »

Thanks for this video... I was one of the people doing "this business" you talked about lol.  It took a couple days to readjust but this has made the songs I practice a lot easier for me.

imyofaja

cheezy

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:35:04 am »

Thanks!  Now I just need to find out how to do that on a sweet potato ocarina when playing a high F.

Imyofaja Waz here!
AzKiteMan

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:06:51 pm »

Thanks!  Now I just need to find out how to do that on a sweet potato ocarina when playing a high F.

The ocarina or the note? If you need help supporting the ocarina, talk to David. (docjazz4)

To support the note, bring the ocarina into your chest. (on a sweet potato)

Ich genieße Versuch, sprechenden verschiedenen Sprachen nachzuahmen! =D
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: