Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 04:01:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A D would be nice  (Read 3456 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: February 28, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »

I know we are all waiting for the ProRange MO but I, for one, would also be happy to see a single-chamber MO in D, for Irish session play. Using my non-standard playing technique, it would have a range of D5 (with the "low C" fingering) to G6, and the C#5 leading tone would be accessible. In Irish trad music, the range you mostly need is D5 to B6 (or really Dn to Bn+1 in any ocatave). So the MO D wouldn't get you there, but fair number of tunes don't go above the high G, and they would be playable. Many are already in the Celtic tunebook for MO, but there are more, especially if you have that extra high semitone.

I was thinking about this as I just played "The Dancing Bear", a simple little tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr4HjPy4_Cw -- in fact both tunes in the video would work, "Fingal's Cave" as well. Of course, the fingering would feel different from the whistle fingering, but it would be more natural for the ocarina, and that's the point of having a D model.

Most Irish session tunes are in the keys of D maj, E min/dor, G maj, A min/dor, and the tunes themselves switch around in these modes. This means that you almost always play F#, never F nat. There may be a few tunes where you have to half-hole F nat, but I haven't found one yet. F# isn't a problem on the MO C that we have, but the fingering is simpler if you take the tune down a whole step. So, "The Dancing Bear" works more easily in D min, instead of E min, and you can play the B part of the tune too.
Playing it in D min is fine if you're by yourself, but in a session that won't work, because no one else will be playing in that key.

A MO D would solve that problem. But then, so would the ProRange.

cymbrogi
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »

Anyone know if we have heard any more information on the Pro-Range

Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »

The last I heard anything from  MO was in July last year and apparently Karl was still working on it.  This is a small outfit so I am sure that they only have so much time for R&D while still filling orders.

kypfer

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:17:45 pm »

A MO D would solve that problem
... just a reminder of an older thread, http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=1484.msg13169#msg13169 ... probably not a great deal of use to you as the upper end is still limited (I've not tried extending it) but you may be able to get some mileage out of it if you can risk sacrificing a poly for the purpose!

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

Re:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 02:54:29 am »

I remember that thread. I don't really mind the F# fingering on the MO, or even the "pincer" C#. If Joanie Madden can play trad on a Boehm flute using R2 F#, I can face it. The MO C# is actually pretty natural, flowing from B to D. No, it's all about the range for this music.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pat Anderson

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:09:56 pm »

Every three months or so, I email Karl about how the Pro Range is coming, and he usually responds.  Last response was early February, here is a copy and paste:

Hi Pat,

Thanks for asking!  I am getting very close, but frustrating technical difficulties (having to do with CAM software) are holding me up.  I will let you know as soon as I have instruments to sell.  Thanks again for your patience.

Auroch

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:47:08 am »

Ya, I would love a D or any other new releases for that matter though I definitely understand why it isn't all happening at once - which is fine too.

Auroch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: