Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 09:50:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High Notes  (Read 3510 times)
redrocketteer
Active Newbie

« on: March 17, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »

I am having trouble with the high notes, they always sound windy and kind of tinny. Any Suggestion? I am playing the Polycarbonate C Mountain Ocarina Grin

LibertyJustice
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:38:36 am »

I can just say that I've been playing for a little over a year, and my tone continues to improve.  It could be that you are not getting the tone holes completely covered.  Or, it could be that you need to clean your windway (see Karl's instructions).  My experience is that a messy windway often makes the sound much worse on the higher notes.  If those things are taken care of, you may need to train your diaphragm through the exercise Ubizmo gives below.  This is copied from the main MO video page. 

One other test: play your ocarina FIRST THING in the morning and see if the sound is improved.  It almost always is for me.  I think it's because my mouth is quite dry and my windway stays clear for much longer.

Just some ideas.

Greg

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:54:41 pm »

There is a tendency to play the high notes--and even the other notes--hesitantly at first. As beginners, we don't play with confidence, and so we back off a bit on breath pressure. This results in the high notes sounding a bit wispy, and the lower notes tend to be flat.

The MO is designed to be played assertively. This doesn't mean you should blow so hard that you go out of tune, but it does mean you need to find the breath pressure that produces a clear tone, and learn to produce that breath pressure on demand. It sounds difficult but it really isn't that hard, especially if you're not frequently switching between the MO and other ocarinas. Each ocarina has its own distinctive "breath slope". After a while you'll be able to switch without much trouble, but to start out you should just work with the MO, and just one model.

Scott Maness

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:20:41 pm »

I clean my windway each time that I play.  I find that it dramatically improves the tone.   Smiley

Auroch

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »

It all takes time.

Auroch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: