Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
September 16, 2019, 02:13:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Salutations from Auroch  (Read 2141 times)
Auroch

« on: May 13, 2014, 02:35:09 am »

Greetings, all!
I am somehow only now getting around to my introduction after registering almost a year ago...not quite sure how that happened but alas:D

A little about my Oc history thus far...

I first learned about Ocarinas in 1998 (via the DX version of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening) and fell in love with them immediately! At the time, I was a dashing, young lad of 13 or 14 when I stumbled across a Peruvian Ocarina in the Ten Thousand Villages store in my hometown of New Hamburg (picture of first Oc below post). I purchased it and was so astounded by this completely magical instrument which I still have today. I ended up buying an identical one for my close friend and we would often play together while hiking in the woods. During my mid-teen years I eventually obtained two more Peruvians from the same place - knowing full well that they were more decorative items than instruments you could really work with (in the ways I wanted to be using them anyway).

It wasn't until some time in 2012 when one day I thought to myself - Hey, I wonder what kinds of Ocarinas are even available that I could actually use to start playing certain songs on...and so my journey continued. I did some digging and came across three main Ocarina companies online that I was drawn to. Mountain Ocarinas, STL and Songbird Ocarinas. I had it narrowed down to either MO or STL and eventually went with a plastic triple from STL due to it having the range I most desired for a specific piece...which is likely a big part of what triggered my pondering in the first place.

Amazingly enough, I actually forgot all about MO and Songbird Ocarinas until a year later. I felt compelled to welcome in the warm season of 2013 with a new Oc when I suddenly remembered MOUNTAIN OCARINAS and how I had definitely had a major interest in eventually purchasing the polycarbonates. Despite knowing what I was going to order, I spent considerable time going over Karl's videos and other MO resources to fill in the wait-time and to learn as much as possible about these amazing, ultra-durable, take-with-you-everywhere (even the shower) instruments! Then one day I got a slip in the mail. I longboarded down to the stationary store to pick up the box containing both Ocarinas and the 300 Celtic songs book.

It was (and still is) refreshing having two inlines to work with after my first, full year of transverse (which I love equally and nearing the 2yr point:O).
I'm at home quite a bit due to being self-employed and for the first little while I didn't make a point of having the G or C on me at all times though I also didn't have a problem with going to my room to grab one just before brewing coffee, tea or for those times in between daily activities (which there are always plenty of).

Over the last few months, I've been putting the G around my neck as soon as I get up every morning and it pretty much stays there until around the time I get ready for sleep. Doing this has been really awesome and has truly furthered my overall experience(s) with the MOs. I just love being able to make music any time and anywhere and I am excited for the journey and exploration to continue:D

I could go on and on about how much I love MOs and why though I'll leave it at that for now.
Thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:45:23 am by Auroch » Logged

Auroch
Scott Maness

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:17:58 am »

Welcome to the forum!

I have only played on the Mountain Ocarinas and the Hind Ocarinas.  They are both great and very beautiful.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: