Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 29, 2020, 05:10:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarina Silencers - tips on practicing with a loud musical instrument  (Read 33728 times)
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 04:14:55 am »

But I was wondering: what about the Sordinella[3]?
This is a great question.  Thanks for not giving up on it.

Unfortunatley, the Sordinella idea doesn't work as well on ocarinas as on a recorder.  In a nutshell, tuning on a recorder depends largely on tonehole placement along a tube.  In contrast, ocarina tuning depends on how quickly (at what frequency) air can cycle in and out of a chamber. Therefore, any device that obstructs airflow in and out of the fipple window (or voicing) will flatten the pitch of lower notes more than it flattens the pitch of higher notes. The ocarina will be quieter, but it won't be in tune with itself. I don't offer this information as the final word on the subject, but I have tried similar ideas on ocarinas and so far I prefer the straw.  And I LOVE playing the OcBox!

Parsec
Active Newbie

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:34 am »

Unfortunatley, the Sordinella idea doesn't work as well on ocarinas as on a recorder.
[...] The ocarina will be quieter, but it won't be in tune with itself. I don't offer this information as the final word on the subject, but I have tried similar ideas on ocarinas and so far I prefer the straw.

Oh, this is bad Sad
And here was I, thinking that the similar shape of the hard edge (wikipedia says it's also called "labium" or "ramp") would be enough to allow for a Sordinella-like device to be used.

And I LOVE playing the OcBox!

Well, back to the OcBox[1], then Wink

[1] http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=761.0

PonderWolf

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 11:32:18 am »

Okay, now I need to find a straw in the middle of Iraq.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 01:15:50 pm »

Okay, now I need to find a straw in the middle of Iraq.

PonderWolf, finding a straw in your situation may be a challenge. Since the straws that work best are the wider kind found at fast food restaurants here in the States, you might find one at the local Burger Sheik. Wink

I don't know if this will help, but I found this link to possible straw sources: http://www.iraq-up-close-and-personal.com/fastfoodiniraq.html

Best wishes,

Karl

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:17:35 pm by Karl » Logged
Rayzalite
Active Newbie

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2009, 11:29:35 pm »

From messing around with pennywhistles, I've found that by blocking the windway with my bottom lip and blowing directly into the fipple window, I can practise without disturbing others.

The sound isn't brilliant, but it's enough when you need a 3am tune and there are no straws around...

Smiley

Nephiel

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 10:18:52 pm »

From messing around with pennywhistles, I've found that by blocking the windway with my bottom lip and blowing directly into the fipple window, I can practise without disturbing others.

The sound isn't brilliant, but it's enough when you need a 3am tune and there are no straws around...

Smiley

Thanks a bunch! I just tried that on my poly G and it works like a charm.
It's trickier to hold the oc on higher notes with just the pinky and bottom lip (you really miss the upper lip) but it sounds better than the straw method.

rg
Active Newbie

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »

Here is an example of Love Thy Neighbour!
Here in Ukraine we living in a small flats with thin walls and neighbours all around! So I don’t think that many of them happy with my loud and unprofessional whistling! So that thing is need one!!! Thank you for that post! It’s helpful!

Bacchus
Active Newbie

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 05:12:13 pm »

Time for another late entry in an old topic Smiley I beg to be forgiven Smiley
The silencers are a great idea - there are contless times when i wanted to play my old transverse, but at the same time didn't want to disturb the people around me... (and didn't want to annoy them as well - as a beginner i am able to produce the most dreadful sounds and noises imaginable Wink ) The window of the transverse is at the bottom of the instrument, so no chance to fix a straw there... Even before my poly C was here, i had managed to get a few wide straws from the golden arches, so i was ready to silence whatever Karl and Cliff could throw at me Smiley After unpacking the MOs, though, i was in for a surprise - the windway of my poly C is wider than the one of the poly G.
It makes a lot of sense, but i had never noticed this fact on the videos... So Karl's straw silencer fits perfectly on my roommate's G, but the C is a different story... What i came up with is cutting the piece of straw along its length (i first cut from the straw a piece of about 4 cm in length, which is a little more than an inch and a half), so that i finally had a rectangular piece of plastic (it is rectangular only if you lay it flat. Left by itself it tries to become a cylindrical piece of straw again Wink ). I cut out the upside-down V from the rectangle and used it pretty much as shown by Karl. The base of the V-shape is about as wide as the windway. The last thing is that the soon-to-be silencer tends to coil in its previous shape. This is easily cured if you put it between two flat surfaces (i put mine in a book) for some time. After that the silencer is easily bent to fit in the window and works like a charm. I've been using mine all day at work Smiley I managed to steal some practice time and the colleagues were spared the "noise", so everyone's happy Smiley Sorry i don't have pictures to show you now, i hope that you can make some sense of the explanation Smiley Still, I may add pics later if anyone needs them Smiley

Govern these ventages with your fingers and thumb,
give it breath with your mouth,
and it will discourse most eloquent music.
Look you, these are the stops.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 08:31:17 pm »

I found that two silencers cut from ordinary-sized drinking straws fit perfectly side by side in the C's windway...

Bacchus
Active Newbie

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:26 pm »

That's probably a smarter and easier solution, Jim Smiley Wish I'd thought of that before going for the cutting and slicing Smiley

Govern these ventages with your fingers and thumb,
give it breath with your mouth,
and it will discourse most eloquent music.
Look you, these are the stops.

Hamlet by William Shakespeare
JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »

...and I'm lucky my supermarket only stocks one size of straw.  Cheesy

Starfire
Active Newbie

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:05 am »

Hi, guys. My first post here. I just received my poly G and C a few days ago and have been trying out this silencer.

My problem is that while it works really well on the lower notes, I get no sound at all on the higher notes. Is this just a limitation of the silencer design or am I doing something wrong? Cry

Update (28th May 2011): I still am having little luck constructing a functioning silencer. I've tried different lengths of straw and different angles of cuts, and while most of them work pretty well on at least several notes (and generally not the same notes), none of them works well for more than 4 notes or so. I have found that just sticking a section of straw works to consistently reduce the volume across all notes far better than a section that has a V cut into it, though the pitch of some of the notes goes a little off.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:37:21 pm by Starfire » Logged
rama
Active Newbie

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:35 pm »

Hey guys,
the user "lutherdriggers" posted the so far BEST silencer idea on youtube.
It's the easiest and sounds the best of all the solutions I've tried so far Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owgBAYcWQyY

You can easily modify the amount of silencing by moving the straw further in or out Wink

Edit: Ah yea, actually he has an account here and posted it already. Here it is:
http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=1264.0

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:23:24 pm by rama » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: