Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 19, 2019, 01:12:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarinista from the UK  (Read 4513 times)
Ayo10
Active Newbie

« on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:25 pm »

Hello fellow oc folk

I am from Birmingham in England (rather than Alabama!) I am a classroom music teacher who plays a number of instruments but violin, ocarina and mandolin are my main instruments. In terms of ocarinas I have played John Langley's instruments both standard and extended models for a couple of decades including as part of an early music ensemble.

I am sort of new to Mountain Ocs and not really. I'll explain - I bought the polyC back in 2003 or 4 I think and for one reason or another did not get on with it and put it down. However, I have introduced English ocarinas to my students this year and have formed an ocarina ensemble. I decided to play my polyC and fell in love with the sound. Its also been good to talk with my students about the different types of ocarinas too. My polyC will take pride of place as I perform carols and Alleluia (Cohen) with my students next week at our Christmas concert.

What I like about my polyC is the inline system which makes certain trills and ornaments less complicated than using the English oc system. I have now ordered a polyG as there are some Vivaldi and Bach pieces I would like to play with ornaments that are too complicated or impossible using the English G I already have.

I wait with bated breath for a 2 octave instrument...

Peace

Ayo  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:36:04 pm by Ayo10 » Logged
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 02:59:25 am »

Do you think you'll quickly get used to chamber-switching on a double?

Ayo10
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:43:02 am »

I'd give it a good go. They do say practice makes perfect. I'm not sure how such double chambers might work but hopefully the notes remain the same no matter what octave you happen to be in just the internals are different. What do you think?  Wink

Ayo

Scott Maness

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 06:00:53 am »

Welcome to the Forum!

I also play Viola, Octave Mandolin and Ocarina among other things.  Smiley

The MO is great for christmas carols.  You are going to have a great time with it when it comes.

What do you teach in school?

Ayo10
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 08:20:30 am »

Thanks for the welcome. I teach music at a secondary school (what you call high school in the states). I introduced ocarinas because most of the kids are only interested in pop/rock band type instruments i.e. voice, keyboard, drums and guitar. I wanted to start a wind ensemble as an alternative on the cheap (a bunch of clarinets, flutes or saxophones are very expensive compared to a dozen ocarinas!) I am really looking forward to the Christmas concert and showcasing the beauty of ocarinas. I'll try and post some audio files if I can.

Do you guys teach ocarina yourself? If you do how do find the experience?

Ayo

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:10:55 am by Ayo10 » Logged
Scott Maness

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:33:15 am »

It is probably easier to teach from the C ocarina.  It seems pretty intuitive.  My kids have ocarinas that they have learned to play some songs on.

Ayo10
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 03:44:28 am »

It is probably easier to teach from the C ocarina.  It seems pretty intuitive.  My kids have ocarinas that they have learned to play some songs on.

I do like the C. I would agree with you as an intuitive teaching tool as the G is essentially a transposing instrument unless you use it at pitch. i'm still waiting for my G to arrive by post but I guess it will be the C I gravitate too. I find the C is useful in that you learn about correct breath pressure which you can then transfer to other ocarinas.

Oh I got to showcase the mountain polyC at the school Christmas concert last night. I played Alleluia (Cohen) with guitar and bass with the poly C as the feature. Folk (students and parents) were asking about the instrument and commenting  on the sound of the polyC as well as the english ocs the ocarina ensemble went on to play. Hopefully I got more folk switched on to the ocarina.

Scott Maness

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 02:02:45 am »

Sounds great.  I get a lot of questions and comments whenever I pull mine out to play.  It is kind of funny but even though I prefer the sound of the C, I play the G more than the other.   Smiley

I also play the G as a non-transposing instrument and get the the lower notes below the F# by using a fipple bend.  It is definitely easier to teach from the C, however. 

The C ocarina makes a lot of sense for people transferring from playing recorder as well.

Ayo10
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 02:03:36 am »

The C ocarina makes a lot of sense for people transferring from playing recorder as well.

Absolutely! An F mountain ocarina would be cool for those of us who play early music too. I do like the key of F. Like the C it has a mellow quality. Although I am aware that Karl has other priorities at the moment. I'll have to see how I get on with my G when it arrives next week. Hopefully I won't find it too bright and jolly.

Auroch

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 09:32:01 pm »

Welcome! Great to have you here.

Auroch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: