Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 10:14:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to the ocarina  (Read 5350 times)
wakerry
Active Newbie

« on: December 09, 2014, 06:25:47 pm »

Some years ago I purchased a G poly and the tutorial book.  My timing wasn't great then and I only stuck with it a few weeks before work and classes got in the way.  Fast forward several years and I was ready to get back to it.  Unfortunately when I went to look for my oc it wasn't anywhere to be found.  I ordered another and rec'd it last week.  I am up to lesson 8 now and am loving it.  I look forward to my 20 minute practice sessions after getting home from work. I am committed this time.  A couple of things I have found that many probably already know but if not you may find useful.

1.  I converted the cds to mp3 so that I can play them back with VLC which allows me to slow down the song while I am trying to master the fingering.  I slowly up the speed till I am playing at 1x.  It really helps on some of the faster songs.  My brain just doesn't work that fast.

2.  If you can find a midi for a song you would like to learn, play it via some software called 'Notation Player' and it will show you the notes to the song.  If there is more than one instrument you can single out which instrument you want and even print the score.  Depending on the song you may need to adjust a couple of the high or low notes to keep it in the playable range.

Looking forward to reading about everyone's journey with this great little instrument.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:31:43 pm by wakerry » Logged
Auroch

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:03:08 pm »

Great to hear you have re-connected with the Ocarina! They are such stellar instruments - especially MOs with the extreme quality and durability.

Auroch
wakerry
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:22:12 pm »

I have both the G and the C and really prefer the sound of the C.  It seems to be easier to play which is probably why I like the sound better. :-) 

Do you play any other instruments?  I've wanted to take up the harp for a little while now.  Had my eye on a Harpsicle harp in my price range.

Auroch

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 08:50:13 pm »

Harp is definitely nice. I don't own or play it though my friend has one and it's such a great instrument.

My main instrument for many years was guitar (acoustic and electric). I've dabbled in bass a little bit and I play on a variety of percussion instruments. Djembe, "congas", bongos, frame-drum, steel drum (a model similar to the hung), Tabla, darbuka, doumbek and Udu. Mainly spend time on Darbuka, Doumbek and the Udu if I'm on something percussive.

Auroch
Scott Maness

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 08:43:51 am »

If you can find a midi for a song you would like to learn, play it via some software called 'Notation Player'

There is a program that I have used in the past that will slow the midi file down as well called TablEdit.  The program is free and there are a ton of tab files on the internet.  Besides tab for guitar or mandolin it  can show standard notation as well.

wakerry
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:11:55 pm »

Wow Auroch, you are your own band.  I've not heard of several of the intstruments.    Will have to do some googling.

Scott, thanks for the tip. I'll check into it.   I've been using VLC on the computer and something else I downloaded on my phone to slow down the tunes.  It really helps to master the fingering.

Auroch

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:48:21 pm »

The Udu is an ancient Nigerian instrument which also has many other daily and practical purposes in addition to being a musical instrument. I definitely recommend checking them out!

The Darbuka/Doumbek are also ancient instruments - worth looking into as well Smiley

As for Tabla...age-old North Indian percussion instrument that consists of two drums - the Dayan and the Dugga/Bayan). You use both hands to execute different, precise, complex arrangements of bols or "strokes" which are strung together to create intricate, polyrhythmic compositions that can (and often are) quite lengthy. Tabla is the absolute most demanding instrument I have ever encountered. If you're interested, check out Zakir Hussain on youtube. He's one of India's top players and has been for many many years. He started off playing as an infant and has never stopped haha. Playing tabla goes hand in hand with vocalizations or the "language" of the drums known as Konokol (and a variety of other spellings). Essentially each different stroke that you execute on the drum(s) has a name based on the sound it makes and so traditionally the player would vocalize portions of what he/she was about to perform and then play it after. Certain bols are combo in that you play two different bols simultaneously to create yet another bol. This is barely touching on the extensive topic of tabla...though I'll leave it at that for now as I would rather not stray any farther from Ocarina discussion in this particular category Tongue Enjoy the googling!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:00:07 am by Auroch » Logged

Auroch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: