Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
January 17, 2019, 07:34:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from the PNW!  (Read 3792 times)
wakerry
Active Newbie

« on: December 10, 2014, 09:04:40 pm »

Greetings from the Seattle area.   I used to play clarinet as a kid but haven't picked up an instrument in about 30 years till I bought the MO a few years back.  My timing at the time wasn't great, too much 'life' going on so I put it away.  Went looking for it recently and found it had gone awol, probably the victim of one of my moves over the years.  Purchased another along with the lesson book and am back in business.  Not looking to be a pro but just wanting to play challenge myself and for my own amusement.  The ability to read music is slowly coming back, glad those years in Mr White's band room weren't all for naught.  :-)  I've promised myself that WHEN I finish the lesson book I'll reward myself with a C in wood. 

Auroch

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:19:17 pm »

Welcome! Great to hear you're getting back into it!
Enjoy

Auroch
wakerry
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »

Thanks Auroch. 

I am enjoying it.  I practice most nights after work and on the weekends.  I've made it up to lesson 21 in the book and have played around with converting some recorder tunes to the range of the oc via the abc site.  A great little tool.  Love the fact that I can get a midi, a score and that transcription is so easy.

How long have you been playing?

Auroch

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »

Great stuff! Keep at it.

In a nutshell, I got a Peruvian model and then two more during my mid-teens. It wasn't until 2012 that I discovered there were actually professional, quality ocarinas in existence:o This was mind-blowing and got me so utterly excited to delve into the realm of ocarinas! So in 2012 I obtained my first ocarina, the year after I purchased the polycarbonate MO C and G (which are staples in my opinion!) and this past Spring I obtained a fourth from Songbird which was really calling to me.

Aside from ocarinas, I have been playing/recording a wide variety of instruments over the last decade though have majorly gravitated towards ocarinas (especially the MOs) as they are always on me, can go anywhere and are extraordinarily durable.

Did you play anything besides the clarinet before?

Auroch
Scott Maness

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 08:37:54 am »

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the Ocarina!

You are going to love the hardwood C.  It is absolutely beautiful and plays like a dream.

wakerry
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »

Thanks for the welcome Scott.  The hardwood C is beautiful in both looks and sound.

Auroch, do you find it difficult to move between the different fingerings of the different types of ocarina?  Perhaps not since you have played a lot of other instruments.  I

Auroch

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »

I wouldn't say it's difficult. On the contrary, once you've internalized any given fingering system, then it's fairly intuitive - you don't have to think about it.
Your fingers know what they need to do simply based off of what ocarina (or instrument) you're holding. That's my experience anyway. There are still times where a slip-up occurs though it's rare. Keep us posted as to your progress!

Auroch
Scott Maness

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:45:13 am »

do you find it difficult to move between the different fingerings of the different types of ocarina?

There is a slight difference in air pressure between the two, but if you play them both regularly, it will not make a difference.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: