Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 19, 2019, 12:31:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When is an ocarina an ocarina?  (Read 4586 times)
Ayo10
Active Newbie

« on: December 16, 2014, 09:06:00 pm »

I have just received my polyG to add to my polyC today. The packaging was mental with a huge box for such a tiny instrument LOL!!! I'll be whipping out some ocarina friendly Vivaldi arrangements to play on it later.

I am now patiently waiting for the mountain double (hint hint Karl). Whilst I wait I am considering getting a ceramic triple from an Italian maker. However, it occurs to me are these doubles or triples ocarinas at all? Is it not the nature of an ocarina to have a limited range of notes? Will say having two or just over two octaves on these instruments limit having to be creative in terms of repertoire? Is something lost in translation? I hope I am making sense. It is what is giving me pause for thought and why I haven't parted with my cash as yet for the triple.

So I ask again are doubles or triples ocarinas or not? What do other folk think?

Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:49:00 am »

I would suggest that you get some time in with your current ocarinas before buying a double or triple ocarina. The main reason is because a quality triple is expensive and from what I understand they are much harder to play as well.

Ayo10
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:30:41 am »

I would suggest that you get some time in with your current ocarinas before buying a double or triple ocarina. The main reason is because a quality triple is expensive and from what I understand they are much harder to play as well.

Very good advice but I have been playing ocarinas for a number of years and in four different keys C/F/D/G in order to play different tunes. I am experienced with swapping and changing without thinking too much about it these days. I am just interested in whether this creative swapping and changing is the true nature of the ocarina or whether the multiple chambers bring a new dimension into what is an ocarina and what this new dimension might be OR not.

kypfer

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:18:35 am »

So I ask again are doubles or triples ocarinas or not? What do other folk think?
Most, if not all "multiple" ocarinas are just that, two or more instruments effectively built into one shell, with a separate wind-way and set of finger-holes for each chamber. Careful design and skilful playing can emulate a single instrument with a continuous range of two octaves or more, but the very physics of ocarina design limit it to a range of a little over one octave in each chamber.

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Ayo10
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 09:35:02 am »

Most, if not all "multiple" ocarinas are just that, two or more instruments effectively built into one shell, with a separate wind-way and set of finger-holes for each chamber. Careful design and skilful playing can emulate a single instrument with a continuous range of two octaves or more, but the very physics of ocarina design limit it to a range of a little over one octave in each chamber.

A very helpful answer. I guess the physics is what makes an ocarina an ocarina then. I am old skool when it comes to the ocarina with the swapping and changing of instruments depending on the needs of the music. Yet the idea of a new challenge ocarina wise; of having to 'tame' a multiple chambered instrument is appealing.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:39:04 am by Ayo10 » Logged
Scott Maness

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 04:07:41 am »

My wife has a Hind double and as Kypher had said it is two ocarinas combined into one. 

I, too am waiting for the MO double.   Smiley

Auroch

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:49:09 pm »

I would absolutely love an MO double. No rush though, Karl! Smiley

Auroch
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 08:20:07 pm »

As instruments evolve, this sort of question recurs. When electric guitars appeared, some people question whether they were really guitars. Most double triple ocarinas are two ocarinas fused together. The MO will take it to the next level, I believe.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: