Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
January 17, 2019, 07:31:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back in the saddle again!  (Read 3003 times)
Ozmetoli

« on: December 23, 2014, 03:22:22 pm »

Having played alto through baritone sax all through grade/highschool, then not playing any instrument for 20 years, I stumbled upon Ocarinas.  I was never exposed to the Ocarina, by way of the Zelda games, because I never played them. ( I prefer the NES Zeldas ) Anyway - now being outdoors, with my children a lot, I was looking for a trail instrument. Something easy to carry and easy to have fun with for 2-3 minutes here and there.

And here I am - I wanted to source something locally and who woulda thought that, just over the town line, I'd find an Ocarina maker!

I received the C/G package for my birthday and was immediately able to blow out a few quick tunes so that my kids think I'm a musical genius now - and now the real work begins...relearning to read music and then translate that to these Ocarinas!

SteamDome
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »

Hi Ozmetoli,

Welcome aboard. Like you I'm new to ocarinas, but unlike you I have no experience with musical instruments. I learning to read music both through the course made available by MOs and several YouTube courses. So far so good with the theory lessons.

Scott Maness

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:42:56 am »

Welcome to the forum!  The ocarina is a great choice for portability and economy.  Even though it is small it is definitely capable of playing great music.  I like the fact that there are no strings to change, no moving parts to replace and nothing to tune before playing.   Smiley

Auroch

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »

Welcome! I love your opening story and your close proximity to Karl is perfect!
There's something that always appeals to me when I hear people mentioning Ocarinas and playing out of doors.
Excited to hear more from you and congrats on the excellent obtainment of the C and G models:)

Auroch
Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:22:12 am »

Welcome to the Ocarina world and back to music.  I have heard similar stories countless times.  I played the X in band but I haven't played anything since.  It is a shame that that happens so often because being able to make your own music is a great part of life.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:28:43 pm »

That was my story too, up to a point, although I did manage to continue playing something or other even after high school. But the experience of playing arranged music in a large ensemble was mostly over for me. To stay active musically I had to rethink what I was doing.

The MO provides the needed flexibility. It's portable and also durable. It's okay to take it with me wherever and play spontaneously. That's what was missing before. The closest I could come to that was a plastic recorder, also durable but I not as pleasing to my ear. A quality recorder sounds better but is anything but durable. The ocarina is more portable and more pleasing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: