Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
December 01, 2020, 09:04:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 140893 times)
R-Jay
Active Newbie

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2016, 08:24:28 pm »

I'm saving my pennies, too, Harp Player.  I hope the "ProRange" is a huge success.  I do not have high hopes, though.  This thread is something like 18 months old, and Karl hasn't been seen around here for something like 2 years.  The Mountain Ocarina Facebook page hasn't been updated for 3 years.   Just my observations.....

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:26:16 pm by R-Jay » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 05:02:43 pm »

I am not on facebook, so I can't speak to that part, but I have noticed a few things like: no new 'high end ocarinas' in 2 or 3 years, and now they only have the Polly G available. I hope that things are still going well for MO  because they do make a fine product.

Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2016, 01:50:17 am »

I also am eagerly anticipating the release of the Pro Range instruments. If I had to guess, (and this may just be my wishful thinking) I'd say the stock of regular poly C ocs has been permitted to run dry in anticipation of a new product that will replace and improve on it. If the pro range turns out to be an affordable pocket-size ocarina in the key of C, then I can't imagine there will be much demand for the old style once it is released.

Harp Player

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2016, 03:42:08 am »

Insert Quote
I also am eagerly anticipating the release of the Pro Range instruments. If I had to guess, (and this may just be my wishful thinking) I'd say the stock of regular poly C ocs has been permitted to run dry in anticipation of a new product that will replace and improve on it. If the pro range turns out to be an affordable pocket-size ocarina in the key of C, then I can't imagine there will be much demand for the old style once it is released.

I hope that is what is going on.  The last I heard the Pro-Range wouldn't be mass produced but that was over a year ago.  It would be nice to hear something official every now and then.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:04:44 pm by Harp Player » Logged
Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:33 am »

would be nice to hear something official every now and then.

Couldn't agree with you more. I respect Karl for his apparent dedication to the project, but if it were my business I'd be hyping the new product line like Rolex at Wimbledon.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:57:03 am by Tuna » Logged
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2016, 06:52:31 pm »

Well… where should I begin?  First, I am touched by how supportive you have been! You guys have really hung in there with us despite the interminable wait, and I am grateful.  So, here’s a little update on “Pro-Range.” (For the record, what we’ve been calling “Pro-range” here on the forum actually goes by another name, but I’ll be talking more about that soon. For the purposes of this post, I’ll just call it PR.)

PR is light, durable, pleasing, fluid-fingering, has a small, pocket-sized footprint, and plays two chromatic octaves. It really is the take-along flute I’ve always wanted but couldn’t get anywhere. I love playing it!

I tried hard to bring PR to the market this past Christmas, but I realized that, in order to make any money on the instrument, I’d have to charge $400 a piece. Also, production was going to be extremely limited because, even though PR is simple and intuitive to play, its interior design is very complex and requires great precision. Thus, I finally decided not to offer you an overly expensive, virtually unavailable flute last year. 

After continuing to test and consider other manufacturing options, I’ve decided to place an order for quality injection molds on August 1st--about 5 weeks from now.  PR needs to be molded as several “interlocking” components, so the molds are not cheap.  However, at present, this is the only manufacturing method I’m aware of that will provide the precision we need while allowing us to lower the price substantially and keep up with demand.  Although the Connecticut-based molder says the molds will take 8 weeks to build, my own experience would suggest that it could take up to 12 weeks--or even a bit more. Hopefully this will put PR in your hands sometime in October or early November. 

How will we pay for the molds?  At present, we plan to pay for the molds by creating detailed PR demonstration videos and then pre-selling a certain number of instruments (at a discount) to our past customers.  You’ll be hearing more about that soon. If you are not on the PR waiting list and would like to be, please email us at info@MountainOcarinas.com .

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.  I’ll be pleased to answer them, unless you press too hard for information that is still classified, in which case I may feel compelled to send one of my “associates” to your house late one night to have a “friendly” chat with you.

Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21:39 pm »

Well THIS is just the best news I've had all week! Karl, you are the man. Is there any way I can help you promote the new release, other than my standard raving about your existing ocarina models to everyone who will listen?

Harp Player

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 05:13:57 am »

Karl,

I am thrilled to hear that your design is finalized  and it will should be available by the end of the year.  As I have stated before I want one so I will be sending you the email in a few moments.  In the mean time I am waiting for your demo videos to be posted.

Edit: Do you know what the price will be (or at least a range) ?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:17:21 am by Harp Player » Logged
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »

Thanks, guys! 

The price?  One major reason that we are moving to injection molding is to bring the price below $100.  How much below? We won't know until we are actually molding and assembling.  We have made a lot of sacrifices, financial and otherwise, to get to this point.

How to help with the launch? I greatly appreciate you asking because we'll certainly need your help.  But I'll have more to say about that as the time draws nearer.  Right now I'm working very hard so that we can place the order for the tooling on August 1st.

Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »

Karl I'll be honest I was absolutely ready to pay $400+. Less than 100 dollars a unit is a VERY modest price for a decade of R&D. Especially considering your creations have the potential to revolutionize how music is introduced to millions of people around the world.

Whatever the final cost, I wish you only the greatest of success, however you choose to define it.

And just for curiosity's sake, can you disclose what key the new instrument will be tuned to, and what the lowest and highest fingered notes will be?

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2016, 02:07:49 am »

The lowest fingered note is C5 and the highest is C7, with all the sharps (and flats) in between.  In addition, it is designed to play B4 by tipping the instrument down a bit to shade the window with your lower lip.  One thing that makes this flute very intuitive to play is that you use the same fingerings to play the upper C major scale as you do to play the lower C major scale.

Harp Player

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 06:22:06 am »

Thank you for the update Karl.  I certainly don't want to keep you from your hard work of getting the tooling order made. I am very excited about the news and even more excited about the price. I consider that to be a great deal.  Where I work we make medical grade injection molded plastics so I know that those molds are not cheap to make.

Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2016, 11:23:02 am »

Thank you Karl  Grin

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2016, 02:52:34 pm »

By the way, this is as good a time as any to say how very grateful I am to Ubizmo for all his wise, thoughtful, experienced, and helpful feedback and advice on "pro-range."  He has been a faithful friend throughout.  Then there is my incredibly marvelous, always supportive wife, Susan....  and so many of you who provided encouragement.  Anyway, back to work.  There are miles to go before I sleep...   

SteamDome
Active Newbie

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2016, 02:28:14 am »

This is excellent news. Congratulations Karl on seeing this through. We've all been hoping this day would come. Very exciting news indeed. Hopefully by the time it's released I'll have learned to play the ocarina well enough to give the PR a go.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: