Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 13, 2018, 05:10:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 109599 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 02:07:27 pm »

Knowing that the PR us coming to fruition makes it that much harder to wait. I almost prefer not knowing.

I considered this before starting this thread. There's no doubt about it; it's frustrating to wait. But knowing that the final version is so near, I thought it was justifiable to talk about it, and Karl agreed.

I want to stress that the prototype that I had was fully functional, and even aesthetically very sharp. It was in no sense a "rough draft", except for a few minor details. If Karl were to release the PR in that exact form, a lot of people would be very pleased, I believe. But his standards are very high, and there were a couple of details he wanted to try to improve.

It's been very quiet around here. It'll be less quiet when this thing lands.

Auroch

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 03:17:20 pm »

As I haven't been waiting nearly as long as some, I won't say that I'm dying from the wait or anything. For me it's been about two years of looking forward to the PR and even though that's a decent enough chunk of time, I haven't noticed myself to feel anguished by the wait. Part of it could be due to the PR leaving the forefront of my thoughts and lingering in the background for the last while. Another part of it could also be due to how I have no idea what the waiting list is like at this point...and have no clue as to my position on it (which is fine with me). Perhaps it's a defence-mechanism of mine where I hear that the PR is almost ready though my brain says Ya!...and you could easily be in with batch 7 haha. I'm also not sure how large batches are, how long each batch will take to produce or the amount of time that will pass in between batches though in any event, I don't mind waiting longer if need be. It will be incredible when I obtain mine! Really looking forward to getting out to the woods with a new MO:)

Auroch
ubizmo

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 02:15:51 pm »

Some of the final details that Karl is working on are: The overall size of the PR. For a lot of reasons, Karl wants it to be as compact as possible, to fit in with the Mountain Ocarina ethos of an instrument durable and small enough to take with you everywhere.

He's also tweaking the size of a couple of the tone holes, to keep them manageable for people with smaller hands and fingers.

Fiddle-A-Little

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 06:47:31 pm »

Sounds Exciting !  I agree size is critical a little bigger than the "c" is ok.  Fingering is critical for transitional purposes (ie. like going from one woodwin to another).  I do like the the WarmStone, its tone and the colors offered.  It would be nice to have matching G.C,PR. 

Harp Player

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 06:42:08 am »

I agree that size is always a consideration with most any musical instrument. You have to make it small enough for people with small hands but big enough so someone with larger hands (like me).  I am sure it is even more of a balancing act for the Ocarina.

ubizmo

Re:
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 02:51:02 am »

The PR is really very compact, especially when compared to most other double ocarinas. And unlike most of them, it's not bulky in shape. I think people will like the form of this instrument. It's not like anything else.

Sent via Tapatalk

withnoe
Active Newbie

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »

I hope whatever the material that it is made of isn't too costly so that price isn't too high.  Will there be a low cost version vs a high cost version such as there is now between the polycabonate and the warm stone or wood?  I own both poly and warm stone versions for the key of C but would like to start out on the cheap end and then get the more expensive version later on after using it awhile.

I too hope I am on the waiting list for the first production run.

DeTerminator
Active Newbie

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 07:41:58 pm »

I hope whatever the material that it is made of isn't too costly so that price isn't too high.  Will there be a low cost version vs a high cost version such as there is now between the polycabonate and the warm stone or wood?  I own both poly and warm stone versions for the key of C but would like to start out on the cheap end and then get the more expensive version later on after using it awhile.

I too hope I am on the waiting list for the first production run.

Just shoot an email over to Karl, then you'll be on it for sure. Smiley

ubizmo

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 06:03:44 pm »

I hope whatever the material that it is made of isn't too costly so that price isn't too high.  Will there be a low cost version vs a high cost version such as there is now between the polycabonate and the warm stone or wood?

I don't know what the future may hold, but initially there will just be one version, as I understand it. The cost will be less about the material and more about the time needed to make them. In the case of polycarbonate MOs, the cost savings is a result of parts being able to be manufactured in "bulk" (not to imply that vast quantities were being made), for later hand assembly, finishing, etc. While that approach is in principle possible for the PR, in the real world the obstacle is tooling costs, which are very high. I only know about this because my father was a toolmaker, and used to explain to me the complexity of building tools to make just about any manufactured thing. It's the sort of thing that's invisible to most of us who are not actually in the business of making things.

I think for the foreseeable future the PR will be individually made by hand, which of course includes the use of machines for cutting, grinding, drilling, buffing, etc. So it's not realistic to expect prices in the range of polycarbonate MOs.

There are plastic double ocarinas that are inexpensive. I own one, but I never play it. The PR is a completely different class of instrument, providing a completely different experience for the player. I can say that having only played a "rough draft" prototype.

Rune
Active Newbie

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:35 pm »

I'm confused about the range. If it's C5 to C7 does that mean it starts an octave above middle C? If the regular C ocarina starts at B4, that's the B above high C? Having the numbers switch at the C instead of the A makes my head hurt.

ubizmo

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 01:50:19 pm »

I'm confused about the range. If it's C5 to C7 does that mean it starts an octave above middle C? If the regular C ocarina starts at B4, that's the B above high C? Having the numbers switch at the C instead of the A makes my head hurt.

Yes, it starts an octave above middle C. I'm using the notation described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation, in which the numbers change at C. As far as I know, this is pretty standard. All of the so-called "alto C" ocarinas have a "low C" of C5; those with sub-holes may go down to A4, which is the first A above middle C on a piano.

One of the final details Karl is working on involves the position of the voicing windows so that low B (B4) can be played by shading the windway with the lower lip. This wasn't possible on the prototype I had.

On the current MO C, I routinely play low B, Bb, and A, by tipping the ocarina up and shading with my upper lip. This enables me to get those low notes, especially B, without using any significant breath cut. Bb and A do require a bit of a breath cut. On the PR the windows are on the bottom, so clearly tipping the ocarina up isn't going to work, but tipping it down is a possibility, if the window is close enough. That's what Karl is dialing in now.

Rune
Active Newbie

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 07:33:22 am »

Thanks for clarifying that, Ubizmo, and for the wiki page. I don't understand it all, but I'm getting there. Good to know the sound played isn't the exact same note as the note on the paper. As a drummer and bass player, reading SMN wasn't something I focused on.

I can get the B and sometimes the Bb by tilting the ocarina up the way you describe, but the A is elusive for me, and I can't get it consistently. More practice will help, I'm sure. Looking forward to what you think when the real thing comes out, and you can share whether the low A is possible. And I'm really interested in the way you described the tone of the PR. I love my C and G ocarinas, but a touch less volume would be nice sometimes.

ubizmo

Re:
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 01:43:29 am »

The prototype was just a touch "softer" in both volume and tone. That's the only way I can describe it. I'm as curious as anyone to see what the release version is like.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »

Still on the list, still waiting patiently!

ubizmo

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 04:20:19 pm »

Still on the list, still waiting patiently!

As soon as it's possible to do so, I intend to make some videos that show how it works and what it can do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: