Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 13, 2018, 04:31:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 109587 times)
windjammer

« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2016, 06:56:40 am »

I like the clip but I think I will use a case with a belt loop or clip that gives it a little more protection from dirt,grime and damage. I have a triple plastic ocarina that I keep in a padded nylon cary case that works well.

kypfer

« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2016, 08:10:47 am »

I don't think I'd use a clip. I don't like anything hanging from my belt, jeans pocket or wherever ... maybe I'm just too wide Wink

Hopefully the final model will at least have a hole in it for a neck-cord, even if the cord itself isn't supplied  Roll Eyes

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
K-Ninja
Active Newbie

« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2016, 08:06:14 pm »

Awesome job on doing your best Karl! You're certainly not giving up and pursuing the best ocarina you can get! I wish you the best of luck in making and finishing the Coda!

I do wonder, though. How tough, food safe engineering grade plastic are we talking here? Will the plastic sound clean and precise along with being able to take a fall to concrete? How clean do the notes sound and how loud are they? (My family never liked very very loud things, but I was hoping this ocarina would be the all-time best)

Basically, I'm asking if the ocarina will be really tough, really good quality, and really really good timbre?

I've never bought an ocarina from this website, but I really want to. I'm doing research(looking at polls) and I think I would like to get one(hence, the Coda, but I still wonder if it will work for what I'm trying to do?(just play Christian song, Celtic songs, Zelda songs, Mario songs, and etc.)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:17:05 pm by K-Ninja » Logged
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2016, 08:44:31 pm »

I do wonder, though. How tough, food safe engineering grade plastic are we talking here? Will the plastic sound clean and precise along with being able to take a fall to concrete? How clean do the notes sound and how loud are they? (My family never liked very very loud things, but I was hoping this ocarina would be the all-time best)

Since the final version of Coda doesn't exist yet, nobody knows exactly what it will be like; not even Karl. But having played a fairly recent prototype pretty extensively, I can say a few things. The notes are quite clean sounding. In terms of loudness, I'd say it's a bit less loud than the regular MOs, but by no means is it a quiet instrument. It's still louder than the typical soprano recorder or tin whistle, especially on the bottom notes. Recorders and whistles are notoriously weak there, but Coda is strong. As you go up in pitch, recorders and whistles get louder--they have to, in order to produce sound at all. Coda is pretty much even across its range.

As for the notes being "clean", I don't think there's any worry there. The final plastic version will be have interior surfaces smoother than any of the prototypes. The thing that most affects the cleanness or purity of the sound, in addition to the exact dimensions of the voicing, is the smoothness of the ceiling of the windway. This is true on any fipple instrument. The final product should be very smooth indeed.

As for durability, I can only say that this is a high priority for Karl's "every day carry" vision of the instrument. Coda is not meant to be an instrument that you have to carry in a special protective case or be afraid of dropping. In that respect it's like the regular MOs. Obviously this doesn't mean that it's built to be deliberately abused, but it should be more than durable enough to carry around on a clip, in a pocket or purse, or whatever. That's the whole point: to be able to be spontaneous and to make music anywhere, anytime.

Willfcc
Active Newbie

« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2016, 12:02:42 am »

So...T-Rex Guarantee?

windjammer

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2016, 05:15:29 pm »

Hey Karl. Do you think it might be ready in time for Christmas or do you think it might be next year?

Harp Player

« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2016, 07:04:56 am »

Hey Karl. Do you think it might be ready in time for Christmas or do you think it might be next year?

I would love to buy myself one for Christmas.  Shocked

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2016, 09:40:23 pm »

Quick update and then a response to a few questions & comments:

The meeting with my mold designer and the ultrasonic welding expert last week was a bit tense at times but was also fruitful.  In the end, although changes might not be needed, we've decided to err on the conservative side by instituting a few slight modifications to make Coda even more robust and to potentially strengthen the ultrasonic bonds.  None of these tweaks will affect sound, ergonomics, or playability, but they may make this already tough instrument a bit tougher. 

Speaking of tough, Willfcc asked about the T-Rex Guarantee.  At this point, the plan is to have a one-year guarantee against accidental breakage.  As some of you know, we stand behind what we make and we strive to treat you the way we'd like to be treated. A solid guarantee is important because I want you to be confident about taking Coda along with you. Personally, I'll leave it to other people to manufacture instruments that are so delicate that you have to baby them or carefully tote them about in a special padded case. Overly fragile instruments are not my cup of tea. Why? Because you tend to leave them at home, in your practice room. In contrast, I specifically designed Coda with a compact footprint and a solid construction so that you can keep it with you. Will it break if you whip it against a wall? Maybe, so don't do that! Cheesy   But it is designed to stand up well to normal, everyday carry. In answer to K-Ninja's questions, Coda is designed to survive being accidentally dropped on a concrete floor, and sound is very nice across the two octaves. By the way, as I hoped, Coda seems to float nicely.  I mention this for kayakers, sailors, etc. (Earlier today I spoke with someone on the Coda waiting list who works on a tugboat, and a friend of mine finds it magical to play when he is out sailing.) 

Kypfer asked about a neck cord.  Well, originally I felt Coda needed a neck cord, but then I fell in love with the clip, which you can also clip onto just about any cord.  Since holding Coda feels more secure and stable than for most ocarinas, a neck cord seems a bit less important.  For those reasons, I wasn't planning to include a neck cord, but it could certainly be an option or even a standard feature, depending on feedback from you all.  You'll notice that Coda's profile is like a dolphin (pictures on pages 10 & 11 of this thread), so many of my prototypes have EYE HOLES drilled for a neck cord.  At this point, I see cord hole eyes as an option rather than a standard feature.  Time will tell. 

Speaking about cases, Coda will include a thin microfiber bag for those who wish to stuff him in a pocket or purse. The idea is to keep purse lint out of toneholes without adding any bulk.  A while back I spent a lot of time testing and finding the perfect belt case for Coda. (Perhaps Ubizmo remembers my obsession with that.) At that time, I didn't want to sell Coda without a great belt case, but then I came up with the clip idea, which has a much smaller, more side-hugging footprint than any belt case, and you have instant access to Coda for quickdraw playing. By the way, Windjammer, in my experience dirt and grime don't seem like an issue with the clip unless you are working with a chainsaw, spray painting a house, mud wrestling, or peeing during a hurricane. Wink 

When will Coda be available? I can only go by what they tell me. My tool designer says the complete tool design (with the recent tweaks) will be all drawn up for the mold builders by the end of November. That would mean that we'll place an order to build the molds in early December. Realistically, that could mean that instruments won't be ready until sometime in February or perhaps March. Of course, they tell me it will be sooner, but it's terribly hard to anticipate delays. After we place an order for the molds, we'll begin vital pre-sales of Coda. I'll talk more about that soon.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:00:38 pm by Karl » Logged
Llisas

« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2016, 08:55:35 pm »

Thanks for the update, I'm really excited about this! Grin

I hope it'll be available early next year, because in April I'm going on vacations to Europe and I would love to take it with me and make some videos in different countries. Also I'm going to the Ocarina Festival in Budrio Cheesy

Harp Player

« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2016, 06:40:16 am »

Hi Llisas it has been a long time since I have seen you on here. 

EriChanHime
Active Newbie

« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2016, 07:47:32 pm »

Any updates on how the mold building is going, Karl? Hope it's proceeding smoothly! Would LOVE pictures, if you have any you could share.

I personally don't think CODA really needs holes for a neck cord, but if it does have them, I could see it being cute to have it done like eyes, but then it would hang a bit sideways, perhaps... I like the idea of them being optional.

Also, wondering, the black and white are classy and modern, but will there be options to have the logo done in different colors? Shiny black on matte black, for example, or a nice green or blue? I like to carry my ocarinas with me in a variety of settings, and it would be nice to have it blend in more for situations like that (Ren Faires, and the like).

Hope everyone is preparing for a wonderful holiday season!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:51:20 pm by EriChanHime » Logged
Ryang

« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2016, 04:08:43 pm »

Haven't been on here in a while, so I had not seen the pics of the Coda till today - Wow!  I am very excited to get ahold of one.  I also have been slack for a quite some time in my practice.  I spent some time this morning working on some Christmas hymns.  It's time to leave my MO hanging around my neck again for a while so I play more often. 

Solus Christus! Soli Deo Gloria!
K-Ninja
Active Newbie

« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2016, 05:28:57 pm »

So Mr. Karl(Or anyone else who can answer this), do you have any new information on the Coda? Do you have any new information that you would be willing to present to the forum/public?

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2016, 01:35:11 am »

I have good news! After a final round of tweaking, my mold designer was finally able to send the completed mold design and specs out yesterday, December 20th, to the Connecticut injection molding company that will probably build our tool. We feel very good about the design. No one regrets the painful delays more than I do, but this is a very complex and precise project. At my insistence, we've put way more time into mold design than is customary, and it's now clear that the molds will cost more than the original projections. Why? Well, my prototypes are wonderful. The molded version of Coda needs to look and sound every bit as good. And Coda needs to be tough enough to keep on you! All I can say is that we've done our due diligence and then some.

Now, at last, our project is in the hands of the likely tool builders. They've asked for some time to look over the plans. We've talked about meeting together around December 27th or so to discuss the project again, get updated quotes, etc.  If all goes well, we could be cutting steel soon. One can only hope!  I'll let you know.

I'll also let everyone know when the new Coda webpage and facebook pages are up.   I'm really sorry we couldn't get this done for you guys before Christmas, but now we have something to look forward to in the new year. That's better than just another gift during the holidays, right? Right?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:50:31 pm by Karl » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2016, 07:57:48 am »

Thanks for the update Karl.  I am looking forward to seeing the web page, but I haven't done fakebook in years so I won't be seeing that anytime soon. 

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: