Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
September 25, 2018, 06:49:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 107901 times)
Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2016, 10:41:38 am »

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right. I'm glad you have stayed true to your vision even though it has extended the production timetable.

DeTerminator
Active Newbie

« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2016, 02:44:25 am »

The longer the wait, the better Coda keeps getting...

Harp Player

« Reply #182 on: December 24, 2016, 02:56:49 am »

I am just waiting to pre-order. Apparently Karl don't want my money yet Wink .

d102

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2017, 11:15:22 am »

Happy New Year to all Mountain Ocarina players everywhere.

What I would most like to see rather than a clip or neck loop is a clip on sound reducer (silencer) so that I can play late at night without annoying everyone else.  I have tried the drinking straw silencer idea but it does not work well for me and usually falls out.  How about it, a clip on silencer that does not fall off, allows correct breath pressure for all the notes to sound properly but reduces the sound level to just about audible so that the player can hear but the person in the next room cannot.

D

PS Really excited about the Coda really looking forward to it now I have seen the pictures, news on its progress would always be welcome.

Harp Player

« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2017, 07:00:00 am »

Have you tired blue painters tape covering about 1/2 the fipple?

kypfer

« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2017, 09:30:53 am »

Happy New Year to all Mountain Ocarina players everywhere.

What I would most like to see rather than a clip or neck loop is a clip on sound reducer (silencer) so that I can play late at night without annoying everyone else.  I have tried the drinking straw silencer idea but it does not work well for me and usually falls out.  How about it, a clip on silencer that does not fall off, allows correct breath pressure for all the notes to sound properly but reduces the sound level to just about audible so that the player can hear but the person in the next room cannot.

The volume of most fipple flutes, whistles, recorders, ocarinas etc., is controlled to a great degree by the size of the "window", which also affects the voicing (what it sounds like), and the size of the holes.

In the case of a whistle, flute, recorder etc., one can retain pitch of any one hole by making it smaller and repositioning it further up the tube (the other holes may also need to be adjusted to compensate).  In the case of an ocarina, the size of the holes is fixed by the arithmetic involved, so adjusting those is not an option.

So your only option for adjusting the volume on an ocarina is to adjust the size of the "window" ... inevitable this will alter the voicing, so the instrument will sound "different", though it should still be able to play in tune. Optimally the width of the window would be adjusted, including the width of the airway, to retain pitch, but if maintaining absolute tuning isn't critical, a piece of adhesive tape across the window, as suggested by Harp Player, may well suffice.

Thin strips of food-packaging plastic held in place with "poster-putty" is an easily-reversible means of adjusting the width of the window/airway.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES adjust the "blade" in the window - a slightly damaged blade can "kill" an instrument at a stroke and be very difficult to repair, though a small blob of poster putty on the blade may be beneficial in reducing the sound from an instrument, whilst being easily removeable.

YMMV ... good luck Smiley

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:36:11 am by kypfer » Logged

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
d102

« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2017, 09:47:03 am »

Thank you for the very prompt and useful tips, will experiment a bit to see if I can get the volume down to an acceptable level whilst still keeping the notes reasonably in tune.

D

Incidentally are there any other MO players in Kent? (that's the one in the England)

d102

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2017, 02:21:34 pm »

I keep coming back to this site looking for more news on the new Coda, it seems to have gone very quiet, I just hope that is the Christmas festivities rather than any problems in the manufacturing process. 

Now have a small stack of songs awaiting my first Coda, maybe I am just not very good at adapting them to fit in the present MO range but I admit to being impatient (actually make that very, very impatient)

So any possibility of an update on progress?

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

Re:
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2017, 12:43:38 pm »

Art this point it's all about working out the details of the process of moving from prototype to production. I'm not involved in this but I know it has to be done very cautiously, because mistakes at this stage can be very expensive.

via Tapatalk

d102

« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2017, 12:56:25 pm »

Thank you, I can appreciate the need for caution and great care at this stage, but there must be a heap of us just waiting to get our hands on a Coda and I was hoping that someone who was involved in the process could post a short update every now and then.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2017, 02:29:26 pm »

Hi, D102, and all the rest. I'll try to give you an update later today.

d102

« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2017, 11:31:25 pm »

Thank you, when you can it would be great.  I do appreciate you are a probably incredibly busy at this time and it must be both exciting and nerve-wracking for you trying to bring this very long term project to a successful launch.  Best wishes with it all.  D102

PS my money is ready and waiting the moment you announce pre-orders, your whole philosophy just gives me a lot of confidence in you all. (er that's for two please partner has sussed how good this could be)

Harp Player

« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2017, 07:05:30 pm »

We are sill waiting on the update.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »

Harp Player said, "We are sill waiting on the update." 

You are so right!  An update is long overdue, but I keep thinking every day that tomorrow, or Thursday, or Monday, etc., I will have some concrete progress to share.

As you guys know, after a long, careful process, we turned over the "completed" injection mold designs on December 20th, four weeks ago tomorrow, to the company that we've chosen to build our molds.  (To be fair, Christmas and New Year's happened during those four weeks.) At first, it looked as though we were ready to charge ahead, but after a couple of weeks and that many meetings with the mold makers, they expressed reluctance to move ahead unless we adapted the joint design. (Coda is a complex design composed of 4 parts.) This was a surprise because we had had many meetings with various experts throughout the design process. In fact, prior to turning over the plans, my mold designer had told me at least a dozen times not to worry, and he was the guy recommended to me by the mold makers themselves!

Anyway Smiley, this is a time of frustrated waiting, of intense study of options and joint design, of creative solution seeking, and of respectful, steady prodding toward resolution. On my desk is a plan I've drawn up that might make everyone happy, and I have meetings this week, so I could have concrete progress to share tomorrow, or Thursday, or Monday...   

Will we have to further tweak the plans to accommodate a different type of joint? Will the mold designer persuade the mold makers and the ultrasonic welders that his design is the best and doesn't require changes? Will Jeremy wake from his coma in time to marry Brittany and inherit his great uncle's vast fortune? Stayed tuned for next week's episode of, "As the Mold Turns."

Thanks for being patient. As I'm sure you are, I'm a little frustrated, but steady action, faith, and perseverance keep me from becoming discouraged. We will get this done!  And Coda is worth it. Small, tough, light, nice sound, fluid fingering, two chromatic octaves in your pocket.

d102

« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:28 pm »

Thank you for the update Karl it is much appreciated, you will get there, just one step at a time. 

Perhaps you could provide monthly or so updates for all us impatient people out there.  Feel free to make them more often in the event of good news !

Thanks again

D102

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: