Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 13, 2018, 05:01:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 109598 times)
d102

« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2017, 09:04:33 pm »

Of course, if you are bored and have nothing better to do, some sound sample or more details of the fingering on the Coda might be nice......

D102

sorry, I was sort of joking,
my sense of humour does get me into trouble on occasions.

Harp Player

« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2017, 06:50:16 am »

Thanks Karl,  I can only imagine the frustration you must have in thinking you have a finished design then run into a snag. You have spent years perfecting your instrument so don't compromise on quality on mold design now that it is down to the wire. I wish I could advise you on what to do but I know nothing about sonic wielding.

Please let us know something when you can, but don't let updates take away from the task at hand.

mehgcap
Active Newbie

« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2017, 01:44:43 pm »

Hi all,Having read several pages of this forum, plus watched the video Carl made about upcoming plans and the challenges faced when doing something like this, I can certainly appreciate the behind-the-scenes work and the long wait.

In the video, mention was made of a g that's an octave lower than the current one. I'm wondering if there's an update on that, and if all the work that went (and continues to go) into the Coda will make other new models easier to prototype and then produce? I'd very much enjoy a lower-pitched instrument, so hope that lower g is still on the stove somewhere, even if just the back burner.Finally, an odd question: do we know what the Coda will look like? I know it was shown in the video, but are there pictures anywhere that anyone has seen? I'm very visually impaired, and am actually typing this reply using braille on my iPhone, whose screen is completely off. That's how little I can see. Smiley If there are images anywhere, would anyone mind describing what we know? I know I'm not anything like good enough at the ocarina to be on the list for the Coda, but I'm very intrigued about how it works, fingers, etc. Any visuals that are out there may explain that, so if someone is bored and wants to type up a quick description, I'd love to read it. Thanks!

Harp Player

« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2017, 07:30:10 pm »

Some pictures of a prototype have been posted on this thread.  According to Karl the final product may look a little different. I suggest you look at a few more pages of this thread to find the pictures. 

Edit:  Look at pages 10 and 11 for the pictures.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:32:05 pm by Harp Player » Logged
EriChanHime
Active Newbie

« Reply #199 on: February 05, 2017, 12:31:09 am »

Hi, mehgcap. One of my friends also uses a text reader for the Internet. So, the prototypes of the CODA that we have seen so far are black polycarbonate of some kind, with a white logo on the front that is the word CODA in caps in a rounded font in a white line oval. The O in CODA looks like a circle cut in quarters. The instrument is nearly rectangular with all rounded off edges. It's roughly the length of Karl's hand, so I'd say between 5 to 6 inches, and it's roughly half that in width. It is also at least an inch and a half thick at the base, and it gets at least half an inch thicker by the mouthpiece. If you look at it from the front, the mouthpiece is on the right side of the very top, and it has two air entries, one for each chamber. There are 8 slightly recessed finger spaces on the front, 7 of which are bisected. The lowest right hole seems to be a single hole. This allows both chambers to be played with the same fingering, and just the mouth switching air holes. There are two thumb holes on the back, and an optional belt clip for the back, instead of a neck cord. The quartered circle symbol in white is also on the bottom edge that would face the audience when playing. I hope that helps you enjoy the images Karl provided a little more fully. We're all waiting with baited breath for every single tiny piece of information we can get on these!

mehgcap
Active Newbie

« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2017, 12:42:14 am »

Thanks, that's a great description. Bisected finger holes make sense, now that you say it. I have to wonder, after looking at other double ocarinas today, if the Coda will allow for some harmonizing? That is, could you sustain a note in one chamber while playing a melody in the other? That would be really fun.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2017, 01:26:59 pm »

Thanks, that's a great description. Bisected finger holes make sense, now that you say it. I have to wonder, after looking at other double ocarinas today, if the Coda will allow for some harmonizing? That is, could you sustain a note in one chamber while playing a melody in the other? That would be really fun.
Coda doesn't support harmony playing in the way you describe, at least not without great difficulty. What you can do is play two octaves at once.

via Tapatalk

RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:17 pm »

That sounds interesting Ubizmo.  Can't wait for the sound samples, and how the variety of ways CODA can be played.

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
stanof
Active Newbie

« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2017, 04:50:59 pm »

How will the bisected fingerholes be used?

ubizmo

« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2017, 09:38:31 pm »

How will the bisected fingerholes be used?
Exactly like regular tone holes. The fact that they are bisected doesn't affect how you play. That's the brilliant thing about them. You can ignore the fact that they are bisected.

via Tapatalk

Jason
Active Newbie

« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2017, 09:45:45 pm »

Very excited about this! Definitely will pick a couple up. I wonder if there will be a course book for self-study like there is for the original one and if eventually there will be some higher priced ones available made from other materials. In any case, really glad Karl never gave up on this project.

hoodsmom

« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2017, 11:30:22 pm »

Would one of you beta testers pls reassure me  that it'll be OK to play if I have smaller hands (with issues covering the tone holes of something like a large Native American flute)? Really looking forward to the release!

ubizmo

« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2017, 01:03:00 pm »

Would one of you beta testers pls reassure me  that it'll be OK to play if I have smaller hands (with issues covering the tone holes of something like a large Native American flute)? Really looking forward to the release!
No worries. This is something Karl worked on for quite some time, tweaking things to keep the tone hole sizes as small as possible for small hands.

Like any instrument, Coda has its own requirements. It's important to keep the fingertips flat on the holes, not arched. But this isn't hard to do. The biggest challenge at the start is chamber switching, but this is quite a bit easier on Coda than it is on other double chamber instruments. You can expect to adapt quickly.

via Tapatalk

ubizmo

« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2017, 08:07:19 pm »

Very excited about this! Definitely will pick a couple up. I wonder if there will be a course book for self-study like there is for the original one and if eventually there will be some higher priced ones available made from other materials. In any case, really glad Karl never gave up on this project.

Karl has created a very nice printed book, but it's not a method book in the sense you're asking. It's 50 pages (8.5x11") with charts of standard and alternate fingering, playing tips, some practice drills, and mostly sheet music. The music includes a sampling of standards, such as Amazing Grace, Greensleeves, and Scarborough Fair, but the majority of the pieces are traditional Irish tunes, especially by O'Carolan. These are beautiful melodies, well suited to the ocarina. One of them, Bridget Cruise, can be played on the standard MO, and in fact Karl plays it on the unfinished Mountain Myst CD. But most of these tunes need more range than that. The first tunes in the book are very simple, suitable for beginners, but there's more challenging music in it as well.

Carolan's Welcome is the first melody I want to do for YouTube. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgFgFnIAmI

Some of the tunes in the book are presented in two or even three alternate keys, which is an excellent practice regimen.

The soprano/descant recorder's standard range is C5 to D7, and sometimes higher, but relatively few pieces need that high D. This means that the great majority of music written and arranged for soprano/descant recorder can be played on Coda (C5 to C7). In addition to the classical and renaissance recorder repertoire, which probably sounds best on recorder anyway, there's quite a lot of pop and folk music arranged for solo or accompanied recorder, so it shouldn't be a problem to find sheet music to play, if you're not keen on what Karl has put in the book.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:45:48 pm by ubizmo » Logged
Jason
Active Newbie

« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2017, 04:20:53 am »

Thanks for the great info. Super excited to hear it being played and of course to get one (or more!) for myself.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: