Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
May 30, 2017, 01:08:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 25660 times)
d102
Active Newbie

« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2017, 07:44:30 am »

I think there are a good number of people including myself, trying hard to be patient but would really like an update.

Karl

Ocarina Enthusiast

« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:47 pm »

Hi to you faithful Coda followers. I appreciate you, and I understand how frustrating the slow progress (and my infrequent posts) can be. At times, it's terribly hard for me to be patient also. There are just so many little steps in a project like this -- and a frustrating amount of WAITING (and follow up) whenever the ball is in someone else's court.   

Here's the latest word from the mold makers: "After running the tooling schedule, I am showing the week of June 19th for the first samples."

Exciting, right? However, now it's time to manage everyone's expectations, including my own. 

The first samples that come out of the mold are to test the functionality, cooling, accuracy, etc., of the mold. Ideally, when they first fire up the huge injection molding machine, celestial music will sound, bluebirds will alight on the hopper, and a shaft of golden light will stream through the factory window, illuminating a set of gleaming, perfectly-formed parts as they emerge from the jaws of the gentle giant.  (Sigh!!)

More likely, though, since we have striven to be "steel safe," we'll need to tweak one or more aspects of the molds that produce Coda's four precision parts. Steel safe? Well, it's much easier to remove a little bit of steel from a mold surface to bring it into spec than to try to weld and form a tiny feature onto a mold.  Anyway, tweaking requires disassembling the mold (big hunks of steel that weigh hundreds of pounds) and, uh... tweaking it. Then you reassemble the mold and try again...  Hopefully, there will be nothing major to address since a ton (or more) of careful planning has gone into this so far.

After parts meet with my approval (I'm easy to please, right?Wink), then it's time to send portions of the mold out to a company that specializes in texturing mold surfaces and, finally, to another company that heat treats the mold cavities.  Meanwhile, yet another company will be completing the precision horns and fixtures for assembling Coda. So... I'll be attending a lot of meetings, checking progress and quality of a lot of things, and writing a lot of checks. (SIGH!!!!!!)

So, what is a realistic time frame for getting Coda into your hands?  Well, if all goes as planned, we could begin sales at the end of July. Yee-haa! That's what I'm striving for. However, I have enough experience with this type of project to expect unexpected challenges. When they come, you just have to roll up your sleeves and work through them. Thus, I'll also be very pleased if we have Coda on the market sometime in August. 

That's all for now.  Thanks for the kind, patient support. It is encouraging. Also, thanks for the feedback on price. Obviously, I can't always follow everyone's recommendations, but I always read your comments with great interest and learn from them.  Tuna asked if supply would be limited at first.  In theory, no.  Let's see if that is true in practice. Will there ever be a "high-end" version of Coda? Well, if Coda takes off the way we hope it will, then a high-end version is a possibility in the future. Our focus for now, though, is to make an affordable instrument that plays like a high-end one. Tiny, tough, and light, great sound, 2 chromatic octaves, and fluid, intuitive fingering.

Struggling to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?  Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Harp Player

« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2017, 06:42:09 am »

Thanks for the update Karl. 

My Birthday is a the end of July so getting to order a CODA would be a nice present to myself.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2017, 07:35:45 pm »

Our focus for now, though, is to make an affordable instrument that plays like a high-end one. Tiny, tough, and light, great sound, 2 chromatic octaves, and fluid, intuitive fingering.

You know, even though you just threw that in at the end of your post, it's actually nothing short of amazing that something like this is soon to exist. I know I've talked about this multiple times, but when I started playing the ocarina in 2008, all I really wanted was something like what you've described in these two sentences. I didn't really have it well defined in my mind, but that's what I was after. I quickly realized that it didn't exist, with the exception of the chromatic harmonica, which just isn't my thing. I ended up playing Mountain Ocarinas and tin whistles and don't regret either, but never stopped hoping for something more.

And even though I've played recorders since about 1969 (Is that even possible?), and I think there are some pretty nice inexpensive plastic ones to choose from, the truth is they don't sound that great. The low notes are weak and the high notes are harsh. Decent wooden recorders are very expensive and notoriously delicate. A recorder player who hopes to make it through one of Vivaldi's recorder concertos will probably bring two of them, in order to switch between movements, because you just can't play a good wooden recorder that long before it starts to swell and go off key or off tone.

So even now, in the 21st century, this niche is still vacant. But not for long...

Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2017, 08:35:30 pm »

Karl thanks for reading and responding. And ubizmo, you hit the nail right on the head. This is something that has never been done before and it's amazing that we get to be here before and during the revolution.

When I say revolution, I mean the one that should replace all those plastic recorders in elementary schools with Coda instruments.

No offense to the recorder, as it has been the gold standard among introductory instruments for a long time. But the (sometimes) terrible tone and non-intuitive fingerings make it an almost paradoxical choice for teaching children.

windjammer
Active Newbie

« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2017, 06:08:06 am »

Thanks Karl for the update. This could be what I have been looking for, for many many years.

d102
Active Newbie

« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2017, 04:01:35 pm »

Many thanks for the update Karl, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide that detailed explanation of the future process.  I thought once molds were manufactured that would be the end of the process and production could begin.  How wrong can you be?

Good luck with it all and hope the end product can reach the UK for the end of the summer.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  

Jump to: