Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 13, 2018, 08:54:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 109640 times)
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2017, 05:31:43 pm »

Thanks for all you have done ubizmo.
Yes, Ubizmo, thank you!  You have been a faithful friend, beta tester, and sounding board throughout. Your generous and thoughtful feedback, your skills as a musician, your wide scope of experience in various musical settings (and with various musical instruments), and your ability to clearly express your ideas have been a needed source of enlightenment and encouragement.

And while I am in "thank you mode," I wouldn't feel right if I didn't mention my wife Susan. Birthing Coda has required a lot of sacrifice and perseverance, and Susan has been incredibly patient, encouraging, and supportive, helping me, again and again, to find a way forward each time we ran into a roadblock.

And, of course, all of you who have been expressing interest in pro-range Coda --some for a long, long time now-- have helped us to persevere. 

But, there is still work to be done. Right now, our molder is busy trying to source dark cobalt blue colorant to run a few more Coda test parts. The first mold samples came out great --very precise-- but they ran them in clear. Running Coda in darker colors will help us to decide whether to add additional texturing to the mold cavities or not. Since texturing is an additional step, I'm hoping it won't be required.

So, the proposed launch color for Coda is (you'll never guess!) dark, slightly translucent Cobalt Blue.  The Coda logo will be a contrasting gold. Any reactions? (To see the look, search something like "dark cobalt blue glass.") A fallback standard color could be black with the contrasting gold logo. Over time, we can run different colors and combinations of color.  As some of you might have guessed, my own taste in colors runs toward classy, attractive, and non-flashy because, to me, Coda is a serious musical instrument rather than a toy. But I know many of you favor brighter colors.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:09:36 pm by Karl » Logged
Sinocelt
Active Newbie

« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2017, 08:51:15 pm »

I too prefer classy over flashy. Dark cobalt blue qualifies, but I'm not sure a big gold logo will.

withnoe
Active Newbie

« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2017, 10:30:09 pm »

The blue sounds good to me as well.  However,  I think the gold lettering should be a good contrasting color maybe a white.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2017, 02:29:04 am »

Thanks for the color feedback so far. 
Dark cobalt blue qualifies, but I'm not sure a big gold logo will.
  In earlier prototypes, we put both a black Coda logo on a white Coda and a white logo on a black Coda. Universally, people liked the tasteful look of the contrasting logo color, which really added some beauty and interest to the design.  In mock-ups, gold looks really good. However, if it isn't as appealing in real life, we'd likely go with a silver or white logo.

Here are a couple of things that I'm not sure I've mentioned in earlier posts. Coda is more stable to hold than most ocarinas. As a result, I've enjoyed some slow, relaxing hikes through the woods, playing Coda as I go. Beautiful! And the extra range not only allows me to play a much wider repertoire, but it also makes it easier to play along with other musicians or with recordings. For instance, my autistic son David is always playing music on his ipad, the computer, or a video: usually Sesame Street songs, Raffi, youtube songs for kids, etc. I like to play along at times.  The problem in the past was that, even though most of those songs fit within the range of our poly Gs or Cs, sometimes the key was a little too high or too low to play along. With Coda's wider range, it's much easier to play in the same key as the recording.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:59:48 am by Karl » Logged
Willfcc
Active Newbie

« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2017, 02:59:22 am »

I like the idea of a white Coda with black logo, but Cobalt blue sounds awesome. If the Coda logo is molded into the instrument, I think no contrasting color at all would be very subtle and classy, too.

Eagerly awaiting more updates…

Harp Player

« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2017, 07:16:10 am »

Dark non flashy colors sounds good to me.  I don't want some neon thing that looks like a kids toy.

Any chance of a sound sample ?  Maybe even a couple of tunes?

d102

« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2017, 08:35:25 am »

Blue and yellow (or gold) is a classic colour combination that works well in most situations, classy with a bit of contrast so sounds good.  For some reason, I was expecting the launch to be with black the same as the existing models.  I would be very happy with either.  I agree with Harp Player dark non-flashy colours is the best option.

Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #277 on: July 13, 2017, 10:12:25 am »

I think you're spot on with the color choice.
It's a concert quality instrument, and it will be much easier to promote it as such with a dark, reserved color scheme.

Typically black, white and gold are the highest formality (think: tuxedo, shirt and studs) with silver as an acceptable alternative to gold.
Navy blue and gold are a close second, and in some cases tuxedos are made to be a very dark navy blue instead of black. To the human eye, a navy tux appears "blacker than black" or "deeper than black" under lamp light.

All in all, solid color choice for your first run. If other people want neon zebra print ocarinas, well those can come later I suppose. =)

Sinocelt
Active Newbie

« Reply #278 on: July 13, 2017, 03:40:29 pm »

If the Coda logo is molded into the instrument, I think no contrasting color at all would be very subtle and classy, too.

That would be my choice. The problem I had with "big gold logo" wasn't so much the color as the tackiness of any big logo. To be honest, I don't think the Coda logo (the bigger one, below) looks very professional; but even if it did, how many high-end instruments sport a big-ass logo?

Gah, my first posts are so negative. I'm very interested in the Coda, though, or I wouldn't have been following this thread for months!

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2017, 09:20:01 pm »

Thanks to all for the color feedback.

Sinocelt, you have made a good argument against a gold logo, which I might end up agreeing with at some point. For now, though, I’d like to present an alternate view, keeping in mind that matters of taste are always matters of opinion.

(Just for the record, Coda’s look has been improved a bit since that picture of a previous prototype. Unfortunately, they ran the first mold samples in clear, without the logo, so I’ve chosen not to include pictures yet. As soon as I have updated pics, you will too! Also, unless you are reading this forum on your phone, chances are that Coda looks a lot bigger on your computer screen than it does in person.)

So, here are a few of my thoughts about the logo.

First of all, since coloring the logo is a secondary operation, we could easily choose to leave it uncolored. Thus, we could offer either a colored or uncolored logo as an option or a special request. One way or another, we’ll make sure you can get a Coda without a colored logo.

With that said, I’ve had the opportunity to show Coda prototypes to a good number of people in real life situations: informal gatherings, formal meetings, etc. When I do, I’m careful not to taint individual views by expressing my own opinion first. Also, to ensure that groups of people are not influenced by group pressure, I ask everyone to make a firm decision between option A or B before anyone is permitted to express an opinion out loud.

Here is a synopsis of my findings.  Those interviewed so far, people who have seen Coda in person, prefer Coda with a contrasting color logo rather than without it. They think it looks better with the logo—more interesting. What is more, I like it better. Of course, a majority doesn’t mean everybody. I’ll be most interested in what you guys think, the people who actually plunk down hard-earned money to buy Coda.

But there is something more important about a logo. As I notice things in my environment, logos are everywhere, even on (or especially on) high-end devices such as Apple products, high-end cameras, high-end tuners, microscopes, audio recorders, microphones, etc. Quality musical instruments and motor vehicles (even Mercedes and Maserati) have prominent logos. For example, see https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Steinway_%26_Sons_logo.jpg 

There is a reason for this. Word of mouth! We tend to trust what users of a product think about a company more than what a company says about itself. Let’s say that someone hears you play Coda in the park. They realize that this is what they have been looking for without realizing it. How can they find one? A logo can tell them at a glance how to find it on the web. Many years ago, Apple took this word of mouth so seriously that they decided to put their laptop logos on upside down when the laptop was closed. Why? That way, the logo would be right side up to anyone at the coffee shop who spied you happily using your Apple laptop in the open position.

While it’s true that Coda is the flute that I have personally always wanted but could not buy anywhere, the whole idea of the injection molds was to make Coda available and affordable to more people. And I wouldn’t have felt right investing years of labor and tons of money if I didn’t believe there was a chance I could someday repay my family for these sacrifices. Making Coda easy to identify and to find is an important way to increase its chances of success. Provided that the logo is tasteful, it is my hope that Coda lovers will be proud of the logo. Time will tell.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:16:10 pm by Karl » Logged
Tuna
Active Newbie

« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2017, 01:22:59 am »

It is perfectly fine for performing musicians to sport brand logos on their instruments. And in many cases it even becomes part of their identity, like Eric Clapton with his stratocaster, or Randy Rhoads and his flying V. In these cases the overt branding definitely helps sell more product to people who want to be just like their musical mentors. When it pays to get recognized, striking contrast like blue and gold would be a huge boon.

On the level of Symphony Orchestra and the like, instruments tend to take a more subdued approach to visible branding. A big logo could be perceived as garish or tacky in those settings. A black-on-black model might be just right for very formal performances though.

I'm not against the inclusion of an eye-catching logo for the early release models. But I believe the Coda is versatile enough to perform music at either end of the formal spectrum, so it may be a good idea to offer versions with less prominent branding at some point.

Calculus

« Reply #281 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:00 am »

I would prefer black with a non-colored (black) logo. It would look very formal and would not clash with any specific color. However, I would definitely not mind a silver logo on black, which would lead to better brand recognition. Gold might clash with certain color combinations, but silver and black aren't "colors" in a certain sense, and they would not. A white on black logo might be a little too much contrast for me.

DeTerminator
Active Newbie

« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2017, 01:52:34 am »

Thinking a non-colored logo is my personal preference, but can live with a silver/white one. 

Getting closer here, aren't we?  Well, a little longer certainly is OK...just glad to see it this close.

Thanks to all for that hard work and patience, to everybody in the production of this unique instrument!

RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2017, 04:34:54 am »

I'm just eagerly awaiting sound samples.

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Sinocelt
Active Newbie

« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2017, 12:12:29 pm »

Companies want their logos to be very visible. Customers seldom do, though, unless the brand is some sort of status symbol, as is the case with Apple's and Nike's — which are, should I add, two of the best logos ever designed.

When I buy clothes, I go out of my way to choose them without any visible logo. My T-shirt doesn't have a logo; my jeans don't have a visible logo (it's hidden by the T-shirt); and my shoes only have a very small logo on the back of the heel. Does it mean I won't buy the Coda if it sports a big-ass logo? No, I will buy it, because there won't be anything like it (unlike T-shirts and jeans and shoes, for which there's a lot of choice; and clothes are more about appearance than are musical instruments, anyway). Nevertheless, I do appreciate your willingness to offer an uncolored logo as option or special request.

Let’s say that someone hears you play Coda in the park. They realize that this is what they have been looking for without realizing it. How can they find one? A logo can tell them at a glance how to find it on the web.

An ocarina isn't a piano. To see the logo on the Coda, one would have to ask to see the instrument up close, in which case the owner will mention the name anyway.

Provided that the logo is tasteful, it is my hope that Coda lovers will be proud of the logo. Time will tell.

Time might. But I did design websites, including for Microsoft, and one logo, for a microphone company, and as I said, I don't think the Coda logo looks very professional. Of course, Apple and Nike must each have spent more on logo design (and redesign) than you have spent on the Coda itself!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:15:23 pm by Sinocelt » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: