Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
September 25, 2018, 07:33:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Something to talk about...the "ProRange"  (Read 107915 times)
Calculus

« Reply #420 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:17 pm »

Sorry for your loss.

I just googled cobalt blue; it looks awesome! I had it mixed up with a duller blue. Translucent emerald green and translucent red might be worth considering.

laharl666
Active Newbie

« Reply #421 on: October 30, 2017, 07:22:29 pm »

merci pour toutes ces précisions Karl!
Nous avons hâte!
L'attente devient insoutenable! Wink

"thanks for all these clarifications Karl!
We are excited!
The wait becomes unsustainable!" Wink

The Frenchman who doesn't speak English
Shar
Active Newbie

« Reply #422 on: October 30, 2017, 08:31:31 pm »

It's getting more exciting every day. All this input from everyone is great!

Llisas

« Reply #423 on: October 30, 2017, 08:42:50 pm »

I'm sorry about your loss Karl. I'm sure that with all your positive vibes, you and your family will find the strenght to overcome this sad moment.

In relation to the CODA, I'm really excited about all the news. Recently I bought a new guitar, microphone and a vocal pedal with looper included, so I've been messing around preparing some songs for when my CODA arrives.

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get one as a self-present for my birthday (first week of December)  Grin

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #424 on: October 30, 2017, 09:30:30 pm »

The MO "C" is my favourite but I still struggle to get the breath correct to get the low C spot on, especially when dropping from a much highter note, hoping the Coda is going to be a little easier.  Any helpful tips in the meantime would be much appreciated.

As Karl already pointed out, this is an area where Coda is very different from the MO-C. Coda's low C is, as Karl said, very solid; it feels less variable than MO-C's.

And as Karl also said, you'll need to train yourself to use a flatter finger position, to keep the holes sealed. If you arc your fingers much, you can get leaks, which will throw the pitch off rather than squeak. I've found the best way to take care of this is to remember to keep my elbows down when playing. They don't have to be held down in a forced position, just let gravity to it. But you definitely don't want to raise them up, as in the Chicken Dance. When you actually have Coda in your hands you'll instantly see what I'm talking about and it'll quickly become automatic. As with any other instrument, there's a "best practice" for holding it. Coda is no different.

Another nice thing about Coda is that you'll never really have to worry about it flying out of your hands, because there's no note that requires you to take both thumbs off the instrument. High D on the first chamber and high C on the second chamber uncover all tone holes *except* a thumb hole. Moreover, it's easier to find places where you can use your hand to support Coda without covering a hole than it is on the MOs. I always found MOs to be much more "secure" in my hands than regular 12-hole ocarinas (Cris Gale designed her Aria model to help with this), but Coda is a definite notch above MOs in this respect.

d102

« Reply #425 on: November 02, 2017, 11:36:51 am »

Many thanks to Karl and Ubizmo for their time and trouble in replying to my post, but I feel a little embarrassed as my badly worded post has caused some confusion.

My intention was to request tips on playing the low C on my existing MO better (and yes I have read through everything I could find on the forum).    So my apologies for very poor phrasing and appearing to ask a rather cheeky and premature question.  However the replies have been most helpful for the future so maybe it was not such a bad mistake after all.

I will now try not to ask any more questions and let those concerned get on with the more important business of getting the Coda finalised and sent out to us all.

windjammer

« Reply #426 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:45 pm »

Hey Karl !  How is the videos coming along?  Smiley Wink Cheesy

Sinocelt
Active Newbie

« Reply #427 on: November 05, 2017, 07:29:50 pm »

Sorry for your loss, Karl. Embarrassed

Sinocelt, thanks for saying that I'm funny. (I would offer you the customary Coda "kiss-up" discount, but I'm afraid that calling me weird, while it may be true, disqualifies you for any special offers. I'm sure you understand.)

Wait! I meant "weird" in the bestest possible way! Like, hm, Weird Al?

(I think I've just earned whatever the opposite of a discount might be called.)

(You've all read those angry Amazon reviews by disappointed customers: "I'm giving this product just one star even though I love it because the ad said it was light beige but I think it's more of a medium-light beige.")

Quite recently.

eatn4energy
Active Newbie

« Reply #428 on: November 11, 2017, 03:40:48 am »

I checked this forum a few months back and was greatly surprised to see all that was happening in regards to what is now called CODA.  I am super excited now that it won't be long until it will be physically here!! 

Carl, I have bought numerous of your MO polycarbonates, (some to give to others or to help homeschoolers get started on a fun instrument) as well as the beautiful warmstone, and I am still amazed at the way you have put together something so powerful, yet expressive; beautiful, yet durable, high quality, yet affordable.  ( I do hope you will resume production on the original MO's eventually)

I am blown away with what you have achieved with Coda, and am looking forward to it patiently. The Cobalt blue (partially translucent if I understand right?) sounds nice, as well as black, and I personally like the sound of brown but I'm fine if it's only the 2 choices.

I play (or am learning to play)  many different types of instruments (ocarina, Native American flute, pennywhistles, 3 types of accordion, mountain dulcimer, hammer dulcimer, kalimba, bagpipe, autoharp, mandolin, guitar, bawu, sopilka, and others which I have forgotten right now. (I just love to learn to play new instruments, especially unique, obscure, uncommon or forgotten ones as well as familiar.

My first instrument was the mountain dulcimer, and a few years  after I began learning simple tunes on it, I acquired an inline ocarina and began to figure it out (by ear, as i normally do). Then, soon after that, I was looking online for any other good quality ocarinas, not knowing until I found your website that a quality, durable, and affordable one existed. I still highly recommend your ocarinas as some of the best instruments I have. The only one limitation I have ever had that causes me to not be able to use it as much as I want to is...
Extra range. Well, soon that won't be a problem.  I did get my first triple chamber clay ocarina about a year ago, and it is nice, but I am still looking forward to going back to the inline layout on your double and still having the same range as my current triple - while also being pocket size and durable so I can actually take it with me without being scared I might drop it.

I would like to add my thanks to you for the years of work you (and your family) have put into this. I don't know how you can manage to sell it as cheap as you are, but that will make an incredible difference to many people who might not even think they could afford it otherwise.

Thanks,
yet another fan

Harp Player

« Reply #429 on: November 14, 2017, 08:07:24 am »

We are now in the second week of November. Any word about the new ultrasonic wielders ?

I know I am being impatient, but we have been holding our breath for a very long time now.

windjammer

« Reply #430 on: November 14, 2017, 02:45:56 pm »

We are now in the second week of November. Any word about the new ultrasonic wielders ?

I know I am being impatient, but we have been holding our breath for a very long time now.

I know I could use some good news right now. But if there is bad new just rip the bandade of quickly please. Huh

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #431 on: November 16, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »

You guys are great! With all that I have going on, I don't always respond to your posts right away, but I always read them with interest.

Good news! I'll spare you most of the details. I spent the day at the ultrasonic welders yesterday. The new horns and fixtures, after some testing and tweaking, now work really well. This is especially encouraging because we designed and redesigned our joints several times to improve them, but there were still no guarantees, so perhaps you can imagine my relief. 

At present, I have about a dozen assembled Codas that look and play nicely. Also, I took one of them and dropped it over and over onto solid concrete from a height of 4 to 6 feet.  (We'll do more testing in the future.) Coda bounced every time and kept right on playing. Now, I don't present these as unbreakable, but they are designed with EDC in mind. An EveryDay Carry instrument should be small, light, and TOUGH, and I'm pleased to say that Coda lives up to my expectations.

Also, I was playing Coda at the small plant or factory yesterday, and four employees walked up to say they wanted one (or two). I later learned that one of the company owners took an assembled Coda home because he emailed to ask about the Coda book and to say that a couple of his piano-playing teens wanted Codas. While this is gratifying, the real test comes as we gradually find out how many people are willing to part with money to buy one. Time will tell, but I am optimistic. Whatever the case, this is the instrument that I personally have wanted for the last couple of decades but couldn't buy because it didn't exist.

But when, oh, when will Coda be available? Soon, but how soon? Right now they are doing a final polish of the ultrasonic horns and fixtures. Will they finish this week? Maybe, probably, but they couldn't say. As soon as they finish, I will personally transport the ultrasonic tooling over to the injection molding company. Then they'll have to set up their ultrasonic welder so they can perform the three welds on each set of Coda components. The injection molders are great guys, and they say they'll get "right on it," but is that next week (next week includes Thanksgiving), or the following...?  And there are many other details that we are racing to get ready for launch. I say "we," but right now it's mainly me. Very soon, as finances allow, I'll have more help from wonderful people waiting in the wings, but Coda has been a BIG stretch financially, so it's still up to me to spin as many plates as I can.

Thanks again for your extreme patience! I'll keep you in the loop.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:44:50 pm by Karl » Logged
laharl666
Active Newbie

« Reply #432 on: November 16, 2017, 05:54:19 pm »

Merci pour la mise à jour, Karl
Ce sont de bonnes nouvelles!
Vous pouvez compter sur nous pour vous faire de la bonne publicité! Wink

"Thanks for the update, Karl
This is good news!
You can count on us to make you good publicity! Wink"

The Frenchman who doesn't speak English
Harp Player

« Reply #433 on: November 16, 2017, 06:47:52 pm »

Have you thought about taking few advance orders to help get you over the hump?

windjammer

« Reply #434 on: November 16, 2017, 09:22:40 pm »

Thank you so much Karl for the update. Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: