Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 19, 2019, 01:34:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Oregon  (Read 4326 times)
DocS97405
Active Newbie

« on: January 23, 2015, 04:29:44 am »

Greetings;

I am awaiting the arrival of my G and C Ocarinas tomorrow (1-22-2105).  I play the Highland Bagpipe and the Native American Flute.  NO experience whatsoever with this instrument. Am looking forward to learning and actively participating.  Thank you to the ADMIN who set up the account for me as there was some difficulty registering and logging on.  I am 70, Retired and live in Oregon.  Am enchanted with what I am hearing people do with what I always regarded as a child's toy!   Just and awesome sound.   Dan "Doc"  Shankle

Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:35:41 am »

Welcome to the forums and to the Ocarina.  From what I understand a lot of the songs you play on your pipes should work well on the Ocarina once you get the fell for the Ocarina.  The biggest tips I can give you is use your tongue to start and stop the notes, and it will take a little time to get the sound just right.

Auroch

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 04:19:02 pm »

Welcome, Doc!
I'm excited to hear that you're taking up the ocarina:)
All the best with your new journey.

Auroch
DocS97405
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 06:06:24 pm »

Welcome, Doc!
I'm excited to hear that you're taking up the ocarina:)
All the best with your new journey.

Thanks for the Warm Welcome!  We'll SEE how big of a challenge it is at MY age and how I get through it.  I DO enjoy listening to the MP3's of others...so impressive.  Something to aspire to Smiley   "Doc"

DocS97405
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:10:35 pm »

Welcome to the forums and to the Ocarina.  From what I understand a lot of the songs you play on your pipes should work well on the Ocarina once you get the fell for the Ocarina.  The biggest tips I can give you is use your tongue to start and stop the notes, and it will take a little time to get the sound just right.

Thanks for the welcome AND the tips...it will be yet another set of fingerings and the tempo of most Ocarina playing is much faster than the music I am accustomed to on Native American Flute and even the Highland Bagpipe... I don't play the Hornpipes and Jigs and reels...mostly the slow marches and Retreats and piobaireachd!  The Reason I selected MO is the IN LINE fingering...very similar to BOTH the Bagpipe Chanter and Native Flute.  Yes,  a great many of the tunes for Bagpipe will play nicely on the Ocarina.   "Doc"

Auroch

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 06:19:36 pm »

The support is here when needed though I have a feeling you'll catch on in short order.
I'd like to share with you a song I composed/recorded a few days ago. (There are a tonne of other songs I've done on my soundcloud as well)

https://soundcloud.com/auroch/the-shallow-sea-upoms-chase

Enjoy and keep us posted as to your progress.

Auroch
DocS97405
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 06:43:50 pm »

The support is here when needed though I have a feeling you'll catch on in short order.
I'd like to share with you a song I composed/recorded a few days ago. (There are a tonne of other songs I've done on my soundcloud as well)

https://soundcloud.com/auroch/the-shallow-sea-upoms-chase

Enjoy and keep us posted as to your progress.

Thank you, AUROCH for sharing...wonderful... will take me some time to get my fingers as fluid as yours...very nice piece...and YOU composed it?  AWESOME!   Thank you for sharing and for encouraging a NOOBIE Smiley   "Doc"

Auroch

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:16:48 pm »

Thank you for the kind comments:) I'm glad you enjoyed the song and that it can serve as a source of encouragement for you.

There's actually only one song on my soundcloud that I did not compose (Lovely Joan - which I learned about via Karl's sound-samples on the MO site).
That being said, there is still an improv section of mine that I threw into that piece.

I'm interested in hearing how you found out about Mountain Ocarinas if you care to share, it'd be great to hear.

Auroch
DocS97405
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 12:50:42 am »

Thank you for the kind comments:) I'm glad you enjoyed the song and that it can serve as a source of encouragement for you.

There's actually only one song on my soundcloud that I did not compose (Lovely Joan - which I learned about via Karl's sound-samples on the MO site).
That being said, there is still an improv section of mine that I threw into that piece.

I'm interested in hearing how you found out about Mountain Ocarinas if you care to share, it'd be great to hear.

HI;  They arrived today and I'm having a ball getting the fingering down and blowing for tone as we say in the Bagpipe world (Nice Clear, steady tones).  I heard about Mountain Ocarinas while watching a YouTUBE video that had someone play with a Bagpipe (Can't recall who it was or anything about it) I did some google searching and found the Mountain Ocarinas. They caught my attention as the in-line fingering is similar to a Bagpipe chanter and more intuitive to me than the sweet potato types....I listened to sound samples and was smitten and ordered.  Now to get it down and enjoy making music on them.  Much to learn.  Thanks for your interest.  "Doc"

Auroch

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:55:39 am »

Glad to hear they have arrived and that you're already delving into them.

Auroch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: