Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
January 17, 2019, 06:58:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Leesburg, GA  (Read 2014 times)
terryg
Active Newbie

« on: November 10, 2015, 05:58:13 pm »

Hello, Terry here from South West Georgia.  SWG is not of the Northern region, that includes Atlanta.  We do include Athens, Blue Ridge, and Savannah, as territories o SWG. 

After a great weekend of RV camping and ukulele jamming at a campground, I got home Monday and found the box my two (C&G) Ocarinas were shipped in.  Very quick service.

As most folks probably do, I removed them from the box (this is recommended), and began to blow, using the "between the lips and "tu" method.  After a minute or so, I studied over the notes on two songs, that came with the instruments, Hot Cross Buns and Mary had a Little Lamb.  In less than five min., I ran to my wife and said, "honey, listen to this."  She was not surprised that I could blow the tunes, and she recognized the songs, but she was surprised that the sounds coming out of these little boogers was pretty decent.  Not great, not good, not fair, but decently poor.  And that was okay for the first five minutes of playing. 

In fact, I liked it so good I hobbled (another story) back to my computer and ordered the Learning too Play Mountain Ocarinas, and a song book of gospel songs.

I am also a wannabe harmonica player, with perhaps 40 in my collection, and play the harp by ear, which is a no brainer.  It just has to be played by ear.  Now, after last night and a little while of playing Ocarina this morning, especially the G around my neck, I  figure I should be playing this by ear very shortly.   Just gotta learn the fingerlings and coordination it takes to play. 

I placed the C Ocarina around my wife's neck.  She found it silly that the two Ocarinas wanted to kiss each other.  Snuggle a little bit.  Though she is an avid pianist, doesn't care a hoot about ukes, harps, or mountain dulcimers, she liked the sound so much on the Ocarina, that she promised to give it a go. 

So, after perhaps a total of 45 min. blowing around with the Ocarina, I am pleased to say "I am pleased", and looking forward to the journey ahead.

I am hoping that all "stupid questions" are not "stupid questions".  At 69 and counting, I'm at the age of irresponsibility, and it gets worse.

Best Regards,

Terry

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:21:58 pm by terryg » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:39:15 am »

Welcome to the Ocarina as well as the forums. I am a long time harmonica player (17 or 18 years now), and a sometimes ocarina player.  I like the Ocarina, but it is so loud I don't practice it like I should out of fear of my wife  Cheesy. I also play the harmonica by ear, and once I get started on a song on the Ocarina I tend to switch from reading to ear without even realizing it. It did take me a little while to unlearn my harmonica breathing to get a proper sound out of the Ocarina, so keep working on it and you will get a much better sound fairly soon.

terryg
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:35:54 pm »

Thanks Harp Player.  That gives me hope.  I am not pleased with the sounds I am getting out of the Ocarina so far, but after reading a ton of posts on this site, I guess the good sound will come later.  Not bad now, perhaps a 2 or 3, hopefully up to a 4 or 5 within a week or so.  Then comes the hard part.  The better you get, the harder it gets.  What did I just say?  I don't even know myself.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: