Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 19, 2019, 12:45:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explanation Please A4 - F6 etc  (Read 3799 times)
franko
Active Newbie

« on: November 20, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »

Will someone please explain to me how they came up with type of designation?
Sometimes I think I have seen them listed as tenor units. Like the soprano G has been shown as C6-D7.  Can anyone tell me what the designation of C is when referring to the middle C on a piano?  Also on the soprano MO G or any soprano G is the lowest note of G referring to the G note on the second line of a treble staff?  Thanks for any info.  Another example of the C Tenor (A4-F6). Then the alto from C5-D6 etc. On the tenor C is the low C note referring to the middle C on the piano?  Thanks for any help.  This type of designation is just new to me.

kypfer

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:12:03 pm »

Middle C on a piano (the C by the keyhole was how I learnt it) is C4.

The octave numbers change "on the C" so the A above C4 is A4 (440hz)

Soprano, tenor, alto etc. can all be a little ambiguous, especially in the world of ocarinas. Definitions do vary between manufacturers.

With recorders things are rather more clearly defined. The lowest note on a soprano (descant) recorder is C5, an octave up from "middle C" and the same as the low C on a Mountain Ocarina C. Some ocarina manufacturers regard this range as "alto", which, in the well established recorder terms, refers to an instrument that has a lowest note of F, the F above middle C. A tenor recorder is also a "C" instrument, it's lowest note being a full octave lower than a descant recorder, so actually middle C Smiley

Frequently (usually?) the written notation for higher register instruments, such as descant recorders, is written an octave lower than sounding, simply so's to not have to deal with stacks of ledger lines above the stave. One sometimes sees this notated as 8va against the clef sign, but it's more often taken for granted.

Hope this all helps Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
franko
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:21:58 pm »

Middle C on a piano (the C by the keyhole was how I learnt it) is C4.

The octave numbers change "on the C" so the A above C4 is A4 (440hz)

Soprano, tenor, alto etc. can all be a little ambiguous, especially in the world of ocarinas. Definitions do vary between manufacturers.

With recorders things are rather more clearly defined. The lowest note on a soprano (descant) recorder is C5, an octave up from "middle C" and the same as the low C on a Mountain Ocarina C. Some ocarina manufacturers regard this range as "alto", which, in the well established recorder terms, refers to an instrument that has a lowest note of F, the F above middle C. A tenor recorder is also a "C" instrument, it's lowest note being a full octave lower than a descant recorder, so actually middle C Smiley

Frequently (usually?) the written notation for higher register instruments, such as descant recorders, is written an octave lower than sounding, simply so's to not have to deal with stacks of ledger lines above the stave. One sometimes sees this notated as 8va against the clef sign, but it's more often taken for granted.

Hope this all helps Smiley

Thank you for the information it was very helpful.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: