Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 20, 2019, 08:55:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Lieto, Finland  (Read 4094 times)
Hine
Active Newbie

« on: November 24, 2015, 11:45:17 pm »

Hello everybody, I'm 64 years old guy and found ocarinas by chance watching Youtube. I interested in them and began research more exact.
Then I found websites of Mountain Ocarinas and spent several nights studying and listening and comparing.
I convinced myself MO is best for me, so I ordered poly G + C last Friday. We have here now post office strikes, so I don't know when I'll receive them Embarrassed.
My musical background is with wind instruments (recorders and clarinet in youth, saxophone later), saxophone I played five years in brass band until I retired and moved from Helsinki to Lieto about one year ago.
I hope I'll receive my MO's before Christmas and maybe could play then some carols.

Best regards

Hine

terryg
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:41:59 pm »

Hello Hine,

Welcome to this forum.  This forum offers a ton of information on playing the Mountain Ocarinas.  You just gotta spend some time searching. 

Hine, you sound just like me. I too am aged, 69, and have discovered in the past year that getting older is not for sissies.  Yes, in most aspects, it's the best time of lives, but just a little painful.  Medical problems replace the stress of working a job. 

I also ordered the Poly G & C, along with instruction book, probably less than a month ago.  I hope you take delivery on your Ocarinas real soon.  My experience so far has been positive and negative.  Nothing wrong with the instruments, its just me being new to all this.  Perhaps with your wind instrument experience, things will go well for you.  I also play harmonica, which has helped greatly, but it's a slow process.  My family all run for the hills when they see or hear me coming with something strange around my neck.  I've lost two very close family members due to drowning when they couldn't take it anymore.

Which do I prefer, the G or C?  Good question Hine.  Glad you asked.  I prefer the G, by a long shot.  Karl, our MO creator, even states in his sales pitch that the G might be easier for beginners to learn.   Isn't it great to have an honest and truthful MO creator?

Best advice:  "When you get your Mountain Ocarinas, carry one around your neck everywhere you go.  Let it be a part of you.  Every chance you get to play it, even for 30 seconds, do it. 

Have fun and keep blowing!

Terry

PS:  I didn't really lose two very close family members to drowning.  You see Hine, I'm not honest like our friend Karl. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:48:32 pm by terryg » Logged
Hine
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 09:11:09 pm »

Thanks Terry

Nice that here are also (a little) aged persons.

Did I ask which you prefer, G or C? Wink

I like very much the sound of C (Almartino), but also sound of ubizmo's G. I watched lot of videos from YouTube, when I researched ocarinas. 
Let's see which one will be my favorite, when I receive them first and can try.
I think that the sound of C might be more quiet and is therefore better home instrument (my wife might prefer this Smiley).

I ordered 300 Celtic Folksongs and Favorite Carols.

Thanks for the advices too, I'll have MO around my neck just that reason.
First have to can play something, if somebody ask me to play.

Have fun, be heard

Hine

terryg
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:45:22 am »

41 degrees in Lieto at six o'clock today.  Pretty cold there. 

Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 01:28:00 am »

Welcome to the forum and to the MO Hind.    I prefer the C myself even though it is a little harder to play the low notes on. The C also has the range I need for the type of songs I play so that works out much better for me.

Hine
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:24:17 am »

Thanks Harp Player, I'm waiting my MO's, they are somewhere in Finland (USPS tracking system), hopefully I could receive them next week.

Terry, this November has been the warmest November ever in Finland and Lieto is located in warmest area (southwest) in Finland.
But winter is coming and frosty weathers too.

Regards,

Hine

terryg
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »

Hine,
My wife and I, our children and grandchildren,  all live in the south west part of the state of Georgia.  Very rural. We love the year round weather, for fishing, walking, water sports, bike riding, golf, Indian artifact hunting, etc.
We have only experienced snow 3 times in the last 40 years, and all was gone within an hour.

Good luck
Terry

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:54:53 pm by terryg » Logged
Hine
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:56:19 pm »

Hello all,
our post office strike in Finland ended on last Monday and I got my brand new ocarinas today Smiley

So my ocarina journey can begin.
First sounds weren't very nice, I heard:-(
I received 300 Celtic Folksongs and Favorite Carols, too. I wondered notes of the right side in Carols, they should play with C-ocarina, but most of them is not possible to play (out of tonal range). Probable they should play in different octave or try chord note instead?

Hey Terry, should we chat non ocarina things by email.

Have fun

Hine

terryg
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 01:24:22 am »

Hello Hine,
Glad you finally got your Ocarinas.  Enjoy.

Chat email?  At this point, probably not necessary.  I was just providing you some reading material until you received your MO.

Cheers
Terry

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: