Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 30, 2020, 11:47:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The C and G Ocarinas  (Read 3661 times)
K-Ninja
Active Newbie

« on: November 12, 2016, 07:50:58 pm »

I would like to get a MO but I am having trouble choosing. What types of songs are best for the C? What types are best for the G? Can you play Zelda, Christian, and Video games songs better on a C or a G?

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:04:20 pm »

I don't do Zelda or video game music, but many standard Christian hymns are written in a range that fits better on the C. But that's only a consideration if you plan to play along with the organ or piano or choir. For solo play it doesn't matter at all, so it just comes down to whether you prefer higher or lower pitch. The G is about a half octave higher than the C.

via Tapatalk

K-Ninja
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »

Thank you for the information Ubizmo

Harp Player

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 02:34:28 am »

I bought both of them.  I found the G a little easier to learn on, but I prefer the sound of the C.  If you are playing with other people then the  C might be the better choice, unless you learn to play the G in a non transposing way.

K-Ninja
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 07:59:08 pm »

Thanks Harp Player. So you're saying that the C has better "side features"(able to play with a choir/piano, etc.)? Does the G have any characteristics that are specifically for it?(And other than having one extra hole and being in a different octave)

Harp Player

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 06:31:31 am »

The G sounds much louder to me. That is something that can be a big advantage at times, but it can also work against you in a small space.   I know that right now they are only offering the G.   My advice would be to go ahead and get the G to start learning, then if you decide you like the Ocarina get the CODA when it becomes available.

I also can highly recommend the learning course that is available.  The demos that are on CD with it were recorded on a G so it will be great combination.

K-Ninja
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 02:36:37 pm »

Thank you. Sorry I don't catch on quickly, but while the G is louder, the C is easier for the ears? Then I can wait for the C ocarinas to come out. But does anybody know what key the CODA will be in?

kypfer

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 03:43:24 pm »

Thank you. Sorry I don't catch on quickly, but while the G is louder, the C is easier for the ears? Then I can wait for the C ocarinas to come out. But does anybody know what key the CODA will be in?

See http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=2512.msg19001#msg19001 for the range of notes. "Basically" the Coda will be in C major, but will be full chromatic, so all keys will be (theoretically) possible, though overall range may be limited, depending on where on the scale you start ... starting on A, for instance, only leaves you with an octave and a bit to play with ... not a major issue Wink

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
K-Ninja
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:00:23 pm »

I thank you all for the information. this has helped me greatly

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: