Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 20, 2019, 11:03:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you display your ocarinas?  (Read 2159 times)
EriChanHime
Active Newbie

« on: November 16, 2016, 08:36:45 pm »

I've been on a life tidying binge lately, and I love to see people's unique and personalized storage and display solutions. What do you do with your ocarinas when you're not playing them? Do they live in their bags in a box, do they sit on a desk, or on fancy purchased stands? I must know!

Here's my new solution for when they are stationary. I bought two IKEA SKURAR picture ledges (basically narrow shelves with a front lip about half an inch high), and my entire ocarina collection fits on them neatly. I can grab whichever one I want to play and then put it back easily, and I love being able to look at them when I'm not using them. You can see my poly C and G on the left side of the lower shelf. Smiley Soon a CODA needs to go next to them. Wink

Still on the lookout for good universal carrying solutions, and I think I'm definitely going to go to Academy and look at pistol and ammo cases. Smiley Right size and shape, right level of protection, also hilarious. Smiley

Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:46:45 am »

I keep mine in my nightstand drawer.  The Warmstone is in it's leather pouch, the rest are just tossed in there.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 01:50:54 pm »

I don't display them. I have a big wicker basket full of ocarinas, whistles, recorders, and so on. Pretty much everything that I play or might play goes in there. There are a few instruments, such as a Merlin whistle that is just about unplayable, that end up in a closed bin for junk I don't have a use for at the moment. The only ocarina in that bin is a Focalink plastic double. There are also some beat-up old plastic recorders in there.

EriChanHime
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 07:44:59 pm »

I like the nightstand drawer idea, Harp Player; I don't have a nightstand, or anything in my bedroom proper with drawers, but it seems like a safe place to put them that's still easily accessible.

I am terribly amused by the basket'o'instruments approach you've got, ubizmo. Are they in bags or anything to keep them from rubbing together?

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 02:01:12 pm »

I like the nightstand drawer idea, Harp Player; I don't have a nightstand, or anything in my bedroom proper with drawers, but it seems like a safe place to put them that's still easily accessible.

I am terribly amused by the basket'o'instruments approach you've got, ubizmo. Are they in bags or anything to keep them from rubbing together?

Mostly not. Some are in cases, if they came with cases. For example, my Kerry Optima low D whistle came with a cloth sleeve, and my MK Kelpie low D came with a thick felt sleeve. I have a couple of ceramic ocarinas that came with quilted cloth cases. But I also have ten or so high D whistles that just rattle around in there. Some of my MOs are in small leather sacks, others not. The Yamaha recorders generally have flexible vinyl cases, but my Mollenhauer Swing has no case. The basket doesn't move around much, so the instruments don't bang into each other except when I'm rummaging around.

My didgeridoo doesn't fit in the basket.

kypfer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:46:21 pm »

My ocarinas mostly hang on their neck-cords from a hook, most of my whistles are in a several pint mugs on a shelf.

ubizmo wrote :
My didgeridoo doesn't fit in the basket.
... I've got a bass recorder like that  Roll Eyes

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: