Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
January 17, 2019, 07:30:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with tone quality on Mountain Ocarina Poly G & C  (Read 1426 times)
EriChanHime
Active Newbie

« on: January 23, 2017, 04:49:24 pm »

So I've had my poly C & G for several months now, and I find that I get quickly frustrated trying to play them (as opposed to my transverse). I cannot seem to keep them in tune or figure out the breath curve. They often squeak, or play a note so far off tune I'm not sure what it is. I have verified that I am covering the tone holes completely. Some days are better than others, and I can get most of a song. The lowest and highest notes perpetually elude me, though. I've tried standing, sitting, low breath, hard breath, acute bend, forward facing. Someone with more experience than me, please give me some suggestions! I have never experienced this issue with my transverse, where I can literally pick it up and make music from one end of its range to the other. I DO however, have a similar problem with the Hind inline that I have. So something about the shape/altered mouthpiece, possibly? I'm quite frustrated, and would like to have fixed the problem before the MO Codas become available. Smiley

kypfer

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:49:00 pm »

Given that you have similar problems with your Hind, I'd suggest, like it or not, that one or more of you fingers/thumbs isn't sealing it's hole properly.

I have two Hind ocarinas and a pair of polycarbonate Mountain ocarinas and can have similar problems to those you are describing, on occasion.

Almost invariably any missed notes is down to one or other of my thumbs not doing it's job properly. I've proved this to myself simply by taping the thumb holes over temporarily ... the problem disappears!

As for squeaks, usually no problem with the Mountain ocarinas, but my Hind tenor needs to be blown very "centrally", that is to say not to have the instrument at any sideways angle, for the high notes to be totally reliable. I put this down to "correct" technique, much like having to blow a flute at the correct angle to get all the notes to sound properly ... something that needs to be learnt. Get it right and there's no problem Wink

If you're having problems with the low notes, try taping over ALL the holes. If the problem persists, it's a problem with the instrument, maybe there's an obstruction in the windway. If the fault disappears ...

Hope this helps Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
EriChanHime
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:39:54 pm »

Awesome! Thank you, kypfer. When I get home tonight, the tape and I shall be friends with all the inlines. I will try everything you suggested and see what helps.

How about the highest notes, where all holes are open? I can't make sound (of any musical variety, at least) with a fully open instrument at all. I will try positioning it differently, but curious if anything else commonly helps?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: