Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2018, 01:06:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Ocarina Journey  (Read 5846 times)
Hine
Active Newbie

« on: December 11, 2015, 11:46:57 pm »

Hi
My MO journey thus started on the 2nd of December 2015 when I got my ocarinas.
They were good tiny flutes, which is undoubtedly easy to carry everywhere.
Fingerings were logical and easy to absorb, but the upper C, D and E were difficult because the MO was then not easy to hold hands. This will certainly facilitate with the practicing. I managed to play a few familiar songs pretty soon, although at first was a bit tricky to get to sound purely because my fingers did not hit perfectly over the holes.
In my (and my wife) Wink opinion  MO's tone was very loud and high. We live in an apartment building and I began immediately to try in sound absorption matching instructions in Forum, in addition to trying to blow as quiet as possible. This led in turn to the fact I could not get the sounds playing in tune and felt that playing will not work at all.
I've decided to play now for a short time during the day without the sound absorption, so that I could find the right sound (tone) and then to learn the songs and fingerings without blowing. I look forward to the summer, that I could play somewhere outdoor freely.
I have now a couple of weeks learned to play a few Christmas carols and other songs, but the sound is still far from what I would like it to be.
I've been practicing every day, but I have not yet joined the Karl's 5-MMC.
Thus this time, I have lot of to do with ocarinas playing.

Regards, have fun

Hine

terryg
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:19:53 am »

Hu Hine
Sounds like you and I are having the same experiences.  Except mine is not an apartment,  it's my ears.  Yuk yuk yuk.
In fact I haven't touched one in almost a week.
it's not the ocarina ' fault, I'll just busy practicing Christmas music on tremolo harmonica.

Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:20:03 pm »

The Ocarina is a loud instrument that is one reason that Karl tried to let everyone know that on the website.  When I play mine inside I go to the back bedroom and close the door.  The bed helps to absorb some of the sound, and being in the back of the house helps to not be as disruptive to my wife.    I have found that the C MO is much easier on my ears than the G but that may just be my preference. One suggestion I read about on this site is to put a piece of tape covering about 1/2 of the fipple opening.  I haven't actually tried that myself so I can't promise results.  I would however suggest that you use the painters tape if you decide to give that a try.

Hine
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:04:19 am »

Hi, and thanks about commenting.
The fipple opening of my G is about 2/3 covered with tape.
I agree that the sound of C is more nice, but it is not in tune with the covering tape, therefore I use it without the tape. G is somehow easier to play, C is quite easy to get squeak, I have still practiced to play with both.
I have done just so, we have spare bedroom (hobby room) quite far from our living room, so my wife can tolerate me, maybe. Unfortunately we have neighbors below and above us, and I have not yet asked if they can hear my practicing, but I should to ask.
So far I'll be continuing this way.

terryg
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »

Hine,
I also find the G easier to play.  My success at repeating the notes with a decent sound is at a higher rate.  However, I do like the tone of the C better than the G.  It has more of a mellow sound and I find this agreeable. 

I wish you continued good luck in your new journey.  I'm like Harp Player, I close my door too.  Wife can only take so much abuse. 

Happy Holidays!

Terry

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: