Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 16, 2018, 02:48:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiveing again.  (Read 1853 times)
Harp Player

« on: December 24, 2017, 12:39:20 am »

I will have to admit it has been a while since I did the fiveing thing, but a New year is about to start along, and the CODA is here. It is time to start getting in those short practice sessions again.

My goal is to be comfortable playing the CODA on part of the songs at church by the end of February. In order to meet that goal I will have to put in a lot of time in small increments.  I will be using a tuner app to help me learn the breath curve, practice my scales, improve my sight reading skills.

d102

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:13:02 am »

I will be using a tuner app to help me learn the breath curve, practice my scales, improve my sight reading skills.

My goal is to be able to play around (not on stage) at a couple of local folk fairs next summer without embarrassing myself and not shaming the new Coda.  Any chance of expanding a bit on the above as helpful tips to a relative newcomer.  Been through Karl's excellent introduction book for the original MO but feel I still lack consistency and fluency.  Tips from others also welcome and yes I do practice that four note exercise that Ubizmo recommends.

Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:44:28 pm »

Have you been doing the long tone exercise ?  That is one of the best ways to learn the breath curve of the ocarina.   The other tip is to simply play, play and then play some more.  Nothing like experience to help build confidence in your own abilities, and in your instrument.

I mostly play by ear, so my music reading skills are quite weak.  I will have to admit that I haven't looked at any sheets for songs I play on the Harmonica in over 10 years. Needless to say that makes it harder to play the Ocarina while looking at them.

d102

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:36:49 am »

Have you been doing the long tone exercise ?  That is one of the best ways to learn the breath curve of the ocarina.   The other tip is to simply play, play and then play some more.  Nothing like experience to help build confidence in your own abilities, and in your instrument.

I mostly play by ear, so my music reading skills are quite weak.  I will have to admit that I haven't looked at any sheets for songs I play on the Harmonica in over 10 years. Needless to say that makes it harder to play the Ocarina while looking at them.

Thanks Harp Player, I think what you refer to as the long tone exercise is what I know as the four note exercise (maintaining a single tone for four beats) which seems fine in the middle of the MO range but gets more difficult towards the very low and high.  Keeping a good low C or B on the C MO is really tricky for me it is just so sensative to breath presssure.  As you say the answer is more practice, but I know that the quality of the practice also makes a big difference and it was there that I was hoping for some useful tips.  I am impatiently waiting the release of the Coda which should solve some of my problems with the low C and the C# (which I find difficult to finger on the C MO much easier with the alternate fingering on the G).  Thanks again for the reply.

Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:54:08 am »

I am one of the lucky few that already has a CODA (don't know if I was supposed to tell that or not). The C note on both chambers is rock solid stable.  I am still adapting to the different tone and breath requirement that the CODA has so I won't say much more about it now.

If you have a smart phone or a mic on your PC I suggest that you get a tuning app of some sort to practice with. I have an app called Pano Tuner for my android phone that is working pretty good for me it is free or $1.99 if you want to get rid of the ads. 

d102

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 07:57:36 am »

Congratulation on being one of the first to have a Coda to play, that is good news because it means they are starting to ship, also good news about the low C being rock solid stable, cannot wait to get one and try it out for myself.

Thanks for the tip on Pano Tuner will have a look at it, I use something similar on the computer but it would be much more convenient on the phone.   Enjoy your new instrument, perhaps you might like to post some sound samples in the future? Is that possible on the forum or is it links only?

Harp Player

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 09:12:21 pm »

I don't have the equipment to make a proper recording, I have a microphone, but I don't have an interface.  I need to check into that again.

Roderick
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:55 am »

If you don't mind the quality, you could use your smartphone with any recording app and then upload the song.  Grin

Harp Player

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 06:20:55 am »

I am very much about quality. I don't think that my cheap phone comes anywhere close to measuring up.

windjammer

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 01:22:13 am »

I got a Blue- Snowball mic a few months ago.

Harp Player

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 04:57:44 am »

As someone who has had experience with professional quality equipment, a  cheap condenser mic don't interest me. For one thing they are way to sensitive and will pick up stuff you don't want on your recording, without good sound proofing, for example: traffic noise, your neighbors getting busy, a cricket chirping on the next block, and a flea farting in the next county.  Well, I might have got a little carried away with that list, but I think you get my point.

windjammer

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:25:02 pm »

Are you planning on doing some pro grade recordings  Harp player ?

Harp Player

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 07:44:30 pm »

If I do any it will be with quality equipment.  As for Pro quality, I doubt it because I don't want to spend the money for auto tune and such.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: