Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 16, 2019, 04:40:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: WarmStone G Mountain Ocarina  (Read 33684 times)
Cliff

« on: December 13, 2008, 09:49:10 pm »

If you own a WarmStone Mountain Ocarina... let others know what you think of it. What do you like? What do you dislike? How does it sound? Help others know if this would be a good ocarina for them.

We haven't been able to capture the product very well with photographs. I took a quick video of my older-style (fully lined interior) WarmStome to give you a 360 degree view and hopefully capture some of the mirror-like finish we haven't been successful in capturing with photos.

Please reply to this post with your thoughts, feelings and recommendations for others.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:51:35 pm by Ffilc » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 02:56:23 am »

I love my warmstone ocarina! It's got a crisp and bright tone, silky soft finish and it looks great too! I hadn't played my poly G much in a while, but when I got my warmstone I think I play it the most of all! It's sturdy and feels that way to hold as well. feels great in the hands and easier on the eyes! Pick one up if you want a great ocarina! I'm going to buy one in C soon because it's THAT good! PEaCE, dAN

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Karl B

Ocarina Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:24:24 am »

Well after waiting about 20 minutes to watch the complete 47 second video  Cry  I thought the ocarina looked great!
Real smooth looking.

The only thing with the vimeo video is that it took longer to view than YouTube video.  It also buffered the video in bigger chunks (about :10 each).  ie: wait 5 minutes, watch 10 seconds, repeat...  (At least the second showing of it went straight through.)

Rob W.  How about you on the dial-up, did you watch the video?  How long did it take for you?

Karl B

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:27:21 am by Karl B » Logged

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."   --Thomas Jefferson
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:38:10 am »

From the video, the warmstone looks almost like marble, which is certainly very striking.  At some point I'm pretty sure I'll get a warmstone G, and it might well be one of these marbly ones.

Karl, the Vimeo probably takes longer to download to your machine because the video quality at Vimeo is a lot higher than what they use at Youtube, so more bytes have to be transferred.

ubi

edit: "Corian" is almost an anagram of "ocarina", except it's an 'a' short.  I'm sure this must mean something.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:43:50 am by ubizmo » Logged
RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 05:29:58 am »

Rob W.  How about you on the dial-up, did you watch the video?  How long did it take for you?

Karl B

I try not to do any videos on dial-up.  When I need to watch something I do it over Wi-Fi somewhere, or use my phone as a modem and get a little faster connection.  Still not broadband, but better than dial-up.

Rob W.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Spatolo

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:41:36 am »

Here's Spatolo's review.
Up to now this is the only high-end ocarina I own and I love it; it's my favourite.

The look is awesome, the feel is awesome.

So if you're reading this thread wondering if "does it worth the extra money" my answer is: if you care about aesthetics, and are looking for something beautiful to show and to look at; and to touch too, then definitely. Everybody that asks me to look at it closely said that it's wonderful. I only received enthusiastic comments about it's look.
At the same time, if you only care about the sound and you don't care at all about the look of the instrument then my advice is to stick with the polycarbonate: the differences in tone are very subtle (me I cant' presonally hear any difference, although most users on this forum can and they say that there is a subtle difference, go search around the forum for those opinions).

So that's my opinion. Since I wear my ocarina from when I wake up until I go to bed; I do really care about the look of the instrument and I couldn't be happier with it. Definitely worth all it's money (never forget that there's a lifetime warranty against accidental breakage even on hi-end ocarinas, so that's money is invested for a lifetime instrument. This is something very important to think about!!!).

Secretagentdan

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:12:55 pm »

Great review spatolo! Many good points! So how long have you and your ocarina been bedfellows?! Smiley j/k i leave mine on all the time too, that's one of the best parts I think! Dan

Spatolo

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:34:56 pm »

I think it's about... some months, uh.
And, I sometime really fell asleep with the OC in the bed...

ubizmo

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:43:09 am »

I got my warmstone G today, and I have to say...this thing is SMOKIN'!  I'll post a video review sometime next week, but I want to say that this is an absolutely gorgeous instrument.  I can echo Spatolo's observation that the feel of it is wonderful, very substantial and polished so that the seams in the layers of warmstone can't be felt at all.  In appearance and feel, it most closely approximates highly polished marble (This one is white, with a green layer).  People want to hold it, and not give it back!

To my ear, there is a clear difference in sound between the warmstone and polycarbonate G ocarinas.  It sounds closer to a clay ocarina to me, although stronger than any clay ocarina that I've played.  Like the poly, it has to be played with enough breath pressure to take advantage of the MOs distinctive sound, which in this model is sweet and birdlike.

I think I'm going to be playing it a lot.  I may not sleep with it...

ubi

Docjazz4

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:50:49 pm »

Congrats on the Warmstone, Ubi! Also, great reviews guys. I love my Warmstone G and I usually take it where ever I go. It's sleek, feels great, and sounds awesome.

ubizmo

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:33:11 pm »

Here's the video version of the review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNk2eK7raA

ubi

ubizmo

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:56 am »

Speaking of extra notes, here's something I've noticed.  If I play a low E on the G ocarina, and I blow with proper pressure, I get a concert B, according to the electronic tuner.  That's as it should be.  If I play a high E, I in fact get a high F, or concert C, according to the tuner.  I had noticed this tendency before, but I corrected it by backing off on the breath pressure on that high note.  Doing that, however, makes the tone more fragile.  If I play it strong and clear, it's F/C.  To get a good E/B, I cover just the L1 tone hole.  I'm not seeing this on the C ocarina.  To get a high F on that, I really have to overblow.  But I don't feel that I'm overblowing on the G.

I actually consider this a benefit, not a problem; it gives me an extra note to work with.  Incidentally, I noticed something very similar on the WPN soprano C ocarina that I have.  The "open" note that's supposed to be F is, without any doubt, F#.

Try it and see what you think.

ubi

Secretagentdan

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 01:25:11 am »

Is A440hz concert pitch? I noticed you posted something about concert pitch recently. Just Curious, Daniel

shan

экии!

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 03:14:43 am »

Is A440hz concert pitch? I noticed you posted something about concert pitch recently. Just Curious, Daniel
Wikipedia has a more parsimonious explanation than I could craft, so here it is:
Since some transposing instruments in an orchestra use different key signatures, "concert pitch" describes a particular pitch in absolute terms, regardless of notation. For example, B♭ instruments such as the most common type of clarinet or trumpet, when playing a note written in their parts as C, will sound a "concert B♭."

A 440 is the note A above middle C; if I recall correctly, it is used as the pitch "standard" for tuning instruments. 

Spatolo

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 02:10:35 pm »

Try it and see what you think.

It sounds way hard to do it. I mean, I should re-learn my fingerings to play more in tune...
Experts opinions about this ubizmo's precise discovery?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: